Any MPV bigger than a Renault Grand Espace?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave V6
My Cars:

Any MPV bigger than a Renault Grand Espace?

Post by Dave V6 »

Hello,

Please note this is NOT a 'want to buy' post; this is something that I might need in the future.

Does anyone know what is the largest MPV with fully removable seats, the kind of thing you can use as a small van on occasion. I used to have a 1998 P reg Espace, which was great when the back row of seats came out, but I believe that the Grand Espace is longer and has even more room behind the middle seats.

Is this the largest MPV there is? Is there anything larger that is not actually a panel van with seats in it (e.g. a Merc Vito minibus). I don't think the Citroen C8 or Peugeot 806 has the same carrying capacity as the Grand Espace, but I would also look at the Galaxy/Sharan. Zafiras etc are a bit small I think.

When I eventually get around to buying one of these (or it may yet be a proper panel van - have to see what I need) year 1999-2001 would be about what I'm looking at.

I'll probably end up with a 1.9 or 2.0 turboD but would prefer a 3.0V6 (like my Xantia!)

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Dave C.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ford Torneo and a socket set left in the vehicle to pop seats out???
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Yes, the Grand Espace is huge!

In terms of size, I'd say the Chrysler Grand Voyager would be a pretty close rival to the Grand Espace. However, I can't think of any others that are so huge. I actually have the original brochure for the Espace from the year 2000 (dug it out as I'm thinking of buying one myself), the Grand adds 27 cm to the length of the Espace.

I was offered a Grand Espace 3.0 V6 Auto. RXE for £750, but it sold before I could react. Would've been very nice, despite the prospect of 21 MPG!
French is best.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Any MPV bigger than a Renault Grand Espace?

Post by Homer »

Dave V6 wrote:I don't think the Citroen C8 or Peugeot 806 has the same carrying capacity as the Grand Espace, but I would also look at the Galaxy/Sharan. Zafiras etc are a bit small I think.

When I eventually get around to buying one of these (or it may yet be a proper panel van - have to see what I need) year 1999-2001 would be about what I'm looking at.
From what I recall the 807 / C8 have close to the capacity of the 2000 era Grand Espace but they didn't come along until 2003. You'd be looking at the 806 / Evasion (Synergie) which I believe are a touch smaller.

I'll see if I can dig out an old Top Gear mag, back then they listed all the boot capacities (seats up/down/etc).

The Chrysler Grand voyager is big, ugly, thirsty (even the diesel) and I don't think it was around in 2001 either.