Of Course it was the night I wasn't at work...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

Of Course it was the night I wasn't at work...

Post by R9UKE »

Hi,

As you might know I work at a car auction, here in Belfast. Occasionally we get some interesting stock and I do buy quite a few cars out of work to sell on - but our auction has mostly newer cars so it's very, very rare that we would have nice french cars from the 90s!

But of course, the one evening I have taken off work in about 6 months and what gets sold... a Citroen XM. One that had I have been there, would definetly be outside my door right now.

It was a 1998 R registered XM 2.0 Turbo VSX Automatic. In a gorgeous shade of green, with only 82,000 miles. No MOT, but that could be sorted out. My first sighting of it was too late. It sold. For £350.

And that's a perfect example of my bad luck!
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Ohhh my goodness, that is a spot of bad luck Luke!!

I hope it doesn't be puggerised!

Can you find out who bought it? Was it a trader or a private buyer? It might worth keeping an eye out. Ohh can you find out who sold it, incase they have other gems that are going to be put through the ring.

I never look at the auction catalogues because there is always modern tat, and no interesting stuff.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

I checked... it was a man selling it on behalf of his deceased mother.

Bought by a private buyer - so probably no chance of seeing it again.

Apparently it was one owner from new. Just makes me feel worse!
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Bloody typical.

When did that go through? I take it that it was Mallusk?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

I know ha ha, it was two weeks ago, I was just flicking through the catalogue and couldn't believe it.

I can live in hope that a nice Renault 25 might come along (hardly likely).
I did go to Ballyclare auctions on wednesday night and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of older cars there. There were old Ford Mondeos and even a 1988 Volvo 340 DL (Haven't seen one of these in a very long time!). So I will be keeping an eye on this place - more likely to find an old gem.
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Ballyclare, that sounds like an interesting one. Have you ever been to the Carryduff Auction?

I have only ever been to Wilson's at Portadown a couple of times, and Mallusk once. The more modern stuff is of less intrest, and not in budget. At the end of last year Wilson's at Portadown had a non running Vel Satis diesel go through.

Speaking of 25s. I saw a 25 near Kesh last summer, I was driving the CX, and it was coming the other way, it was a light blue B reg car. I hoped the driver of the 25 appreciated the significance of our brief encounter.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Wow a B reg? That's a really early 25. There used to be a middle aged woman I used to see pottering about in her white Renault 25 almost everyday.. but it, like all others has disappeared! I know of one, in Carrickfergus. It must be SORN and just sits in the driveway... one day I will pluck up the courage to knock the door :)

Yes I've been to Carryduff a few times. Don't like it. And I say the same about Wilsons at Portadown - it seems to be ALL pretty new cars.

We have a Vel Satis up at Mallusk at the minute. I, of course, chose it recently as my car for the day (we use a car to drive around the yard to get stuff done faster - very lazy!) last time I was in and it made me realise how much I love them - I miss mine very much! This one has been there for about 3 weeks - it is only making around £1200 each time and they want £1600 for it. I was tempted... but the turbo seems very loud, and the airbag light is on.

I shall let you know how next wednesday at Ballyclare goes - I'm certainly looking forward to it.
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I didn't get much of a look at the 25, I was hammering the CX along, It was just outside Ederney on one of the long straights to Kesh. I saw it realised what it was, and then we had passed each other.

A 25 in Carrick! If I was a Renault fan I would have had the door knocked on a long time ago! Some of the 25s have the 2.0 and 2.2 Douvrin engines like the CX as well. Jopefully the old dear would gladly sell it to you. Just be prepared for her to think the car is worth a lot more than what it realistically is.

The Last CX I bought came from Ballycarry just outside Carrick.

Do Ballyclare publish a catalogue before the auction? Its a bit of a trek, and I would only want to go if there was stuff of interest.

The Vel Satis is too people carrier like for my likeing. I prefer the standard car hatchback and saloons.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Just be prepared for her to think the car is worth a lot more than what it realistically is.
This is what I'm worried about! The Mégane needs taxed (£215) and a service, once I have recovered financially from that I will see what the story is with this 25.

No, Ballyclare are a pure no thrills auction - no catalogue, no stocklist on the website - nothing. Just whatever is sitting there on the night!

Have you ever driven a Vel Satis? It's an odd experience - some compare it to a boat! Yes it does wallow round corners, but the raised driving position and sheer power make it very enjoyable indeed on motorways, I reckon you'd like it.
French is best.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Sell the Megane before it needs all that doing to it, and get the R25!

Your tax is £10 a year more expensive than my cars. What model is it?

I have never driven a Vel Satis, but I was sitting in that one at Portadown, the car was open in the parking lot, so I hoped in for a nosey. It was quite a nice car, I'm sure I would like it ok. Nice and quirky.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Ha ha, I actually thought about selling it for the Avantime, but I really love this Mégane... especially since it had £3,000 of options added when new. And i'd say I'd have to sacrifice quite a few of the luxuries I have become accustomed to if I were to get the R25 - I'm not brave enough!

It's the 2.0 VVT engine - which emits 191 g/km of CO2, so it's in a pretty high band. It hurts when my friend taxes his 1.5 dCi Mégane for £35/year!
French is best.