On buying SVO from Tesco

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I typed this earlier...

A very few times in my life, and I mean very few, have I queued up to buy something where I was almost itching to get through the checkout without being, 'found out'. That weird feeling that what you were buying, and the quantity was somehow, 'wrong'.

"Very few times because rarely have I been lucky enough to empty a cash machine etc. But that was the feeling I had today - like I'd hit the jackpot.

But I never once felt bad about this purchase. I just thought, well Tesco would be happy with me buying their diesel, or doughnuts, in any quantity, so why not SVO?

It's like the bulk purchase shocked even this, one of the most prolific high street retailers in the UK. Or maybe it shocked the floor manager and she took some personal offence?

I shall be more covert in future, but by heck I'm not going to stop."

I'm the type to keep a low profile, don't want no trouble, etc. But somethings are worth defending, esp in this consumer culture/economy. I feel it's about time I had something back, I know it's a bit "me, me, me", but I'm not about to win the lottery or anything, and it feels good to have chosen the right car, for me, for us, for now, and it suits us fine, and to have this fuel is a blessing really, I don't take it for granted, as next year it could be a Merc.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Napoleon wrote: I know it's a bit "me, me, me"
Hate to rain on everyones parade, but I feel that's exactly what it is :(

My opinion

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Gammy leg wrote:
Napoleon wrote: I know it's a bit "me, me, me"
Hate to rain on everyones parade, but I feel that's exactly what it is :(

My opinion

Gammy
So what is the point of running any car on any cheaper fuel? Is that a but 'me me me'? Or don't you do it, Gammy?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Our Local Tesco was totally cleared out at 09:45 this morning.

I guess Xac had been there before me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody was going to starve though; plenty of other culinary lubricants were available..

Grape Oil anyone? Looks just like LHM 8-)

On the basis that nobody is causing a food-shortage by bulk-buying BOGOFF cooking oil, I have no problem with anyone filling their boots, good luck to them. It's only the "cooking" stuff anyway. I always use olive oil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

The way I see it, the supermarkets inflated the price due to demand. That smacks of greed to me but it's their perogative. As a result, I stopped buying the several bottles per week and bought diesel instead. That's my perogative.

I bought bulk but the total quantity is just a fraction of the amount I would have bought in the last year or so, had the price not rocketed.

Now it's dropped back to a more reasonable price, it's a bit harsh to blame the customer for bulk buying IMHO. I suggest it's the supermarkets own doing.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Our Local Tesco was totally cleared out at 09:45 this morning.

I guess Xac had been there before me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody was going to starve though; plenty of other culinary lubricants were available..

Grape Oil anyone? Looks just like LHM 8-)

On the basis that nobody is causing a food-shortage by bulk-buying BOGOFF cooking oil, I have no problem with anyone filling their boots, good luck to them. It's only the "cooking" stuff anyway. I always use olive oil...
When have you known me to be up before 10am on a weekend Jim? :D
Just got back from Kingston with 40 bottles in the boot.
Changed Cassy's fuel filter on Friday as she was really starting to get starved and it's amazing what a difference it makes!
Will be changing her oil in a bit.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Of course, I'm assuming you guys use wvo whereas I am only using svo.

I really had expected the gauze filter in the tank to be all gungy but it wasn't. This car has never run on WVO.

When should I change the fuel again? 6k miles?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Napoleon wrote:Of course, I'm assuming you guys use wvo whereas I am only using svo.

I really had expected the gauze filter in the tank to be all gungy but it wasn't. This car has never run on WVO.

When should I change the fuel again? 6k miles?
The gauze gets gunged up with normal dirt egress into the tank over the years, not from using any specific fuel, although veg being thicker can carry debris up into the gause more than diesel would.

I change my fuel filter every 6000 miles with the normal service, but I have been a bit tardy this time (not helped by changing instrument consoles since the last service) and Cassy started to suffer fuel starvation.

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

were'z them there picys gone they seem to have vanished,

regards malcolm
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I needed to free up some space on flickr, Malcolm, and as i didn't think they put me in a good light, it seemed they would be best to go first.

(I'm vain, you see!)
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I went to get some cooking oil this afternoon to fry my chips, but the shelf was empty.

As an ex SVO user, i did used to take advantage of good offers on oil but i never cleared a shelf leaving users who might want to use it for cooking with none at all.

Because IMO, its selfish.

Just like the dickheads who fill their trolleys up with cheap cola to sell in their corner shop and 3 x the price. There is a cash and carry for bulk buyers, us retail customers have to suffer ultimately.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

XantiaMan wrote:I went to get some cooking oil this afternoon to fry my chips, but the shelf was empty.

As an ex SVO user, i did used to take advantage of good offers on oil but i never cleared a shelf leaving users who might want to use it for cooking with none at all.

Just like the dickheads who fill their trolleys up with cheap cola to sell in their corner shop and 3 x the price. There is a cash and carry for bulk buyers, us retail customers have to suffer ultimately.
Have you tried doing your chips in duck fat, and cook them twice like the likes of Jamie and Rick?

I always see plenty of duck fat on the shelves.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Napoleon wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:I went to get some cooking oil this afternoon to fry my chips, but the shelf was empty.

Have you tried doing your chips in duck fat, and cook them twice like the likes of Jamie and Rick?

I always see plenty of duck fat on the shelves.
Have you tried running your car on duck fat? Then i might be able to use veggie oil to fry my chips.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

If you're serious about it, Gareth, then dry roast your chips, they are much better for you.

Try a light spray with olive oil, grind a little pepper and Maldon sea salt and you'll be happy!

Yum. Not too much vinegar mind.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

At Dunstable's Tesco there were no 3L bottles, plenty of 1L bottles, and crisp'n'dry, grape oil, and light fry spray and many other frying oils.
At Kingston Tesco after I'd taken 40 3L bottles of veg, there were 10 bottles of 3L veg, no 3L bottles of sunflour oil, loads of 1L bottles of both, and a plethora of other frying products, so no one is going to be oil free.

DIY sphere tool