Hi from New Zealand - BX TZD Turbo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Hi from New Zealand - BX TZD Turbo

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I am now the proud owner of a 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo. One owner and only covered 101,000 km's (62,000 miles).
I am sure that as I go on I will have a few questions. I have already learnt alot from you all by reading your posts to this great forum.
My first question relates to the front suspension which is a little bit sticky as it rises on start up. I read that you can lubricate the struts to help this problem. I see that under the hood at the top of each strut is a small hole. Can the lube be injected into this hole - say WD40 or some LHM? If so how much is needed?
My car has all new spheres and LHM and rides very well.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I put 5 ml of LHM in through those, seems to work ok
Stewart
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Thanks Stewart. How long do you find that the lube lasts before you have to do it again?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Better than this is to put it in high suspension, pull up the gaiter on each strut and lube the shiny ram with grease. This stays put, doesn't run out and cause an MOT failure, and is a much better lubricator than LHM. Takes a few weeks to work its way into the slide bearing though.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Thanks Richard W. I did it your way and lifted the gaiters to lube the ram with a mixture of Morey's oil stabiliser (a sticky sort of oil additive) and LHM. Has worked a treat!
While I was under there it looks like the handbrake cable has been rubbing on the left front tyre when or or near full lock. I fiddled around and tried to reposition the cable with limited success. The outer cover on the cable is worn through a bit where it has rubbed on the tyre.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It is common for the handbrake cable to do that, the cure is to use some zip ties and pull the cable into a curved run under the car near where they disappear under the heatshield, you should get better clearance then.
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno for sure if my idea is exactly what Stewart means - but I have zipped the 2 side's cables together in there where Stewart mentions.
This seems to balance out the movements at both wheels :
one wheel will pull cable out - and help retract cable other side.
Has worked for me on the latest 2 BX'es I had (& have).
Once the cable outer sheat is chafed - it tends to worsen with cables sticking in the guides.