Removing Xantia Dashboard to Access Heater Matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

Removing Xantia Dashboard to Access Heater Matrix

Post by PeterMann »

Since I'm far from the first to have a puddle in the passenger footwell, would somebody who has been down this particular path of concealed fasteners, tight spaces and arcane sequences be so kind as to post a description of the best way to proceed with this unwanted task.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Peter,
it's probably no help, but I have a Xantia manual you can have a lend of if you like [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PeterMann</i>

Since I'm far from the first to have a puddle in the passenger footwell, would somebody who has been down this particular path of concealed fasteners, tight spaces and arcane sequences be so kind as to post a description of the best way to proceed with this unwanted task.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry not to be too helpful but I'd pour money on it myself, having been there with the Peugeot. There are some brave souls (check www.aussiefrogs.com.au) who do this awful job, but it isn't much fun. Shane's right - the Haynes manual tells how to do it (and how to refit with the universal "replacement is the opposite of removal" but I've weakened both times.
Best of luck - where are you by the way?
JohnW (Perth)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Before you go ripping the dash out, are you SURE it's the matrix, and not rain water leaking in past the windscreen scuttle[?]
Oh, and if you do take the dash out, take the extra few minutes to remove the clutch pedal and refit the bolt with its head towards the centre of the car, so that when the cable clip inevitably breaks, you only have a 1 hour job to change it rather than a 3 hour one....[:D]
Book time for the matirx is about 10 hours IIRC, so expect a 'good' weekend DIY.....[;)]
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I live in Ballaarat, Central Victoria. Yes, Shane, the workshop manual may be helpful, and will be welcome. How are you going with the canbelt ? (I will be doing this soon, too). Yes, I am expecting it to be horrible, but when it comes to throwing money, I am low on ammunition. The the puddle grows in the absence of rain, so high degree of certainty that the heater matrix is the culprit. I will have a stronger copy made and pressure-tested by a local radiator shop, rather than trust the Citroen component.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PeterMann</i>

I live in Ballaarat, Central Victoria. Yes, Shane, the workshop manual may be helpful, and will be welcome. How are you going with the canbelt ? (I will be doing this soon, too). Yes, I am expecting it to be horrible, but when it comes to throwing money, I am low on ammunition. The the puddle grows in the absence of rain, so high degree of certainty that the heater matrix is the culprit. I will have a stronger copy made and pressure-tested by a local radiator shop, rather than trust the Citroen component.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Peter,
Now that's interesting! I'd really appreciate some information on the locally made matrix afterwards - photos, cost and materials used. This heater matrix nonsense has suggested the same to me, but I've never had one fail at a time that a special order "strong" matrix was an option. I suspect your local radiator man might find a few other people interested if he can do this job well.
Cheers
JohnW (Perth)
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Peter,
I'll drop the Xantia manual around sometime today (if I remember, gee's I bloody hopeless at remembering anything ....[:I]). If your not home I'll just drop in on your back doorstep or something...
The cambelt was simple ... Once I realised what was going on... It's the same as a BX (which is simple as well). There was two things that confused me, the camshaft pulley couldn't be line up to allow the rod to pass through it (never did, and never will).
I marked each pulley and the belt in 3places with a white out correction pen and transfered the marks to the new belt. The motor would run lump as hell (obviously the cam timing was wrong). After whipping the belt off about 4times, screaming some abuse at it and scratching my head I finally decided it wasn't the cam timing wrong.
I found a very minor looking pipe from the air flow meter hanging down the back of the engine block not hooked to anything. When I found what this was supposed to be hooked to the motor immediatly ran properly again. [:o)]
Check that belt soon !!!! The old belt on my car was extremely loose, I'm amazed it didn't jump a tooth or two. Of course the previous belt change was done by 'profesionals'.
seeya,
Shane L.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Hi JohnW,
If you send me your eMail address, I will epost ephotos, procedural notes, and information about what was done to prevent recurrence once the task and loose ends are sorted. My eMail address will be changing soon, but in the meantime, it is nicolesv@iinet.net.au
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Peter, I recently had the very unpleasant task of replacing the matrix on one of my previous Xantias. It really is time comsuming in the extreme and the sheer number of parts requiring removal took me by surprise even though I have quite a lot of experience working on cars including building a V12 AC Cobra replica.
Tips I would offer include having somewhere to lay out all the parts and screws in the order they were removed.
While the engine is warm/hot remove the heater pipes going into the matrix, they were so difficult on mine that I broke them, brittle plastic.
You will need to remove the LHM tank to gain access to a nut behind it securing the dashboard.
Haynes states removing the handbrake cables, not necessary, just pull up the lever and the centre console will lift out.
If you have a centre arm rest, don't do as haynes states removing it, just take out the seat, 4 torx bolts.

The glove box has a screw 'hidden' behind the felt on its base which you need to remove.
Take lengthy notes as to what part of the wiring loom goes in what direction, what wire needs to come out where. Dash board speakers for instance have very short leads, take a lot of time over this when refitting, its a lot better than removing it again believe me............
Get two new rubber sealing rings for the marix connection and seat them inside the matrix pipe rather than on the heater pipes, I had trouble getting the pipes to go deep enough to get the clip to engage even after using Vaseline. Eventually I did it by running the engine (with coolant in) and heating the pipes up.
Definately allow a weekend and be prepared to walk away in order to 're-gather' your thoughts as patience will be tested with the feeling of 'why on earth did I start this job' will it ever end!!
Good luck, its not a 'technical' job just very time consuming and not very satisfying, patience is the key.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Richard Gallagher,
Thanks for taking the time to pass on your experience,
Best Regards,
Peter Mann
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Peter, I have replaced the heater matrix on my '93 Xantia TDSX, It took about 8 hours from start to finish, a good tip is to have a set of long reach sockets as you will need them to remove the dashboard from the bulkhead within the engine bay.
GOOD LUCK....but a job worth doing especially when you will have saved a lot of money....
Paul.