peugeot 205 starter motor and cv boot

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jerry
My Cars:

peugeot 205 starter motor and cv boot

Post by jerry »

Hi i would like to know if the starter motor on a 1988 peugeot 205 junior is fitted to any other car from the peugeot,citroen stable I beleive the engine type is TU9.also to change a c.v boot do i need the special cables that the haynes manual state or could i use normal coil spring compressors? thanking you in advance Jerry.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Jerry - You can find the same starter motor on some of the early BX 1.4's, but there are two different types even on your 205, depending on age. Yes! I always use a pair of spring compressors on the 205 front suspension.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Can someone please explain what use a coil spring compressor will be for replacing a cv boot.
Suggest you look down the list some, no such gizmo required for that job, I stuck several boot's on my 205 diesel with no trouble at all.
First time I did it I took the entire shaft off the car, the next time I thought bugger this and just swung the leg out, disconnecting the inboard joint and slid the new boot down the shaft, doddle.
Dave
jerry
My Cars:

Post by jerry »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Can someone please explain what use a coil spring compressor will be for replacing a cv boot.
Suggest you look down the list some, no such gizmo required for that job, I stuck several boot's on my 205 diesel with no trouble at all.
First time I did it I took the entire shaft off the car, the next time I thought bugger this and just swung the leg out, disconnecting the inboard joint and slid the new boot down the shaft, doddle.
Dave
cheers for the info Dave,I must be going blind in my old age! i completely skipped the previous mention on c.v boots.I also found it confusing as to why you needed to take up the tension on the coil spring when replacing a c.v joint but thats what is quoted in the haynes manual.thanks again .Jerry

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Jerry, It looks like you've found the question on cv boots earlier on I asked already, lots of info on it, but its worth mentioning -

at the start on each forum under the login (top right) select 'show all' in the drop down menu instead of 'show last 120 days' etc. as this gives all the posts to look through, takes a bit.
Also rather than using another starter motor you may be better off getting it refurnished. Place by me does it for a tennerish not much more I think. It's usually only the brushes that go and you can (I haven't, someone else may advise better on this!) change them yourself.
Just a thought.
----