Simple tyre pressure test

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Simple tyre pressure test

Post by MikeT »

I picked up this handy tip which helps us get the correct pressures in our tyres. While the handbook gives us a "cold" spec to aim for, allowing for variations such as load etc, it is just a basic guide and a poor one at that IMO as differnt tyres have different characteristics.

So here's a simple tip to judge for yourself if each tyre needs more or less air. Talk a piece of chalk and mark four lines (say at 2, 5, 8 and 11o'clock) starting from the sidewall and continuing across and along the tread itself. Then go for a drive. You can do this as often as you like as it doesn't take much time/work.

After the drive, check to see how much, if any, of the chalk has been rubbed off. If chalk is still visible on the tread itself, then you're overinflated whereas if the sidewall marks are being rubbed off, they're underinflated. Using this method you should soon figure out what the best pressure should be at any temperature.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Very interesting way of checking tyre pressures.

Though if your drawing on the tread in chalk, this could wear off suddenly, especially if the tracking is slightly out (though this might be a good test of that too) but also if your drive out contains lots of corners that will cause it to rub off faster too.

What did you find you needed to do with your tyre pressures to get this chalk wear rate even? Up or down from recommended pressures?

I usually play around a tiny bit with my tyre pressures. I usually go on ride and steering feel. I find too much gives a harsh feeling to the steering on some cars and too little gives too much tyre roll in the corners. Though im talking a few PSi not lots, starting from recommended pressures.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Sorry I didn't notice reply before - I wasn't ignoring you

I found ordinary chalk wore off too quick but initial impression were pressures were good.

I'm currently looking for one of those greasy yellow chalks to make the marks more lasting so I can go for a proper hoon.

Interesting notes on what could distort the results though, I hadn't thought of that.