2 stroke oil in diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

2 stroke oil in diesel

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi all,

I have started this thread on the Pug section but as my engine is in Citroen's too and this is a busier section I thought I'd give you boys a punt at it too.

I've started a thread on the 406 Owners Club forum that has turned into a bit of a monster so thought it might be interesting to see how it rolled here.

Has anyone added 2 stroke oil to their fuel in the past and if so can you elaborate as to how it effected the performance of your car if at all?

At this point I have just started adding this to my fuel in my old bus and so far the results have been only beneficial with reduced smoke under load and a quieter (less rattly sounding) engine.

Any input from this?

Cheers
Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

:D :lol:
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I once added model aircraft fuel to the tank of a Morris Marina :shock: Only benefit was it made it smell like a dragster. Sadly (or not), shortly afterwards it dropped a valve and ended up having the engine replaced. :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can't see it doing any harm, after all, our dads used to swear by a shot of RedeX back in the olden days. Remember the old red dispensers of RedeX - one shot to a gallon of petrol...

Upper cylinder lubricant is a fine idea but pointless really nowadays as the crankcase ventilation system (especially on a TD engine) sees that plenty of oil mist gets into the inlet tract and this will do the same job.

Diesel has lubricity additives already present to lubricate the injection pump so this does the same job.

In a petrol engine, it just may have some beneficial lubrication/clearing effect on the injectors and maybe quieten down a noisy in-tank pump. very tenuous though.

Apart from that, all I think you are doing is depriving your lawn mower of it's life-blood...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:shortly afterwards it dropped a valve and ended up having the engine replaced. :roll:
More than likely as a result of pretty destructive detonation Stempy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:I can't see it doing any harm, after all, our dads used to swear by a shot of RedeX back in the olden days. Remember the old red dispensers of RedeX - one shot to a gallon of petrol...
What do you mean - our dads? I used to use that :D
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Stempy wrote: Sadly (or not), shortly afterwards it dropped a valve and ended up having the engine replaced. :roll:
I thought this was normal Austin morris practice??! :shock: :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Peter.N. wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I can't see it doing any harm, after all, our dads used to swear by a shot of RedeX back in the olden days. Remember the old red dispensers of RedeX - one shot to a gallon of petrol...
What do you mean - our dads? I used to use that :D
Lol !, thats funny :D
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,
How many dads did you have? :lol: :wink:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes .... its not funny if you are my age :?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

CitroJim wrote:
Stempy wrote:shortly afterwards it dropped a valve and ended up having the engine replaced. :roll:
More than likely as a result of pretty destructive detonation Stempy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I was a teenager at the time so that explains it. :roll:

My dad used to put Redex in his Morris Minor.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Yes .... its not funny if you are my age :?
Nor at my age when you remember dad using it :lol: :lol:

Not seen the old RedeX guns for years now. Come to think of it I've not seem the bottles of it for years either....

I only had just the one dad Paul :lol: I was meaning all our dads collectively...

This is the best picture of the RedeX "gun" I could find...

Jim

den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Iv'e read a lot about this on the net and have been using it on and off for over a year (When i can remember to put it in)I can't say that its made a noticable difference but also can't see it doing any harm,When you change the filters on an HDI and see the iron filings in the bottom of the filter housing then anything that can slow down the wear on the pump is ok by me.Make sure it's LOW ASH and MINERAL, don't use a synthetic based oil.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

I must be a really old f@rt then cos I use their injector cleaner in my Xantia. To be honest apart from the boost whilst it's in the tank, there seems to be little benefit. My view is if it prevents a build up in the injectors, then it's probably worthwhile. :lol:

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Upper cylinder lubricant is a fine idea but pointless really nowadays as the crankcase ventilation system (especially on a TD engine) sees that plenty of oil mist gets into the inlet tract and this will do the same job.

Diesel has lubricity additives already present to lubricate the injection pump so this does the same job.

In a petrol engine, it just may have some beneficial lubrication/clearing effect on the injectors and maybe quieten down a noisy in-tank pump. very tenuous though.

Apart from that, all I think you are doing is depriving your lawn mower of it's life-blood...

I see where your going with this Jim but I'm thinking more along the lines that my 10 year old 2.1 wasn't ever designed to run on low sulphur fuel or bio-diesel and modern fuels have much less sulphur and contain 5% bio.
The object is to add something that counters the lack of lubrication from the removal of the sulphur and the addition of the bio.

Thoughts?
Last edited by stevenlizuk on 08 Mar 2010, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)