C5 2.00 HDi with 240K on the clock.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.00 HDi with 240K on the clock.

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Driving along at about 60mph plus when car seemed to stall light sppearing all over. Pulled in and engine would not start. Bonnet up - all looked ok; belts etc. Retried to start and it started ok. Lights showing for anti pollution filter and on the display. Please can anyone advise. Engine is running ok otherwise. Thanks :?:
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.00 HDi with 240K on the clock.

Post by cachaciero »

Ed Armstrong wrote:Driving along at about 60mph plus when car seemed to stall light sppearing all over. Pulled in and engine would not start. Bonnet up - all looked ok; belts etc. Retried to start and it started ok. Lights showing for anti pollution filter and on the display. Please can anyone advise. Engine is running ok otherwise. Thanks :?:
Do you mean anti pollution filter or Anti Pollution Fault the standard catch all message that the system displays for virtually any engine fault and all which are bad enough to cause the engine to be polluting. Did you get the service light on? I suspect from your description that you had an engine fault serious enough for the ECU to go into LIMP mode or maybe something serious enough to cause the engine to stall completely but the only thing that I can think of that would cause that would be no fuel. If it was an ECU detected fault which then cleared the service light should have stayed on until three start run sequences without the fault re-occuring have taken place after which it will clear. The fault codes will however remain locked into the ECU where they can be read with an analyser. Suggest you find someone with a Lexia and get the codes read that will give you / us some idea where to look.

cachaciero
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"the only thing that I can think of that would cause that would be no fuel"

Indeed - these are exactly the symptoms we had on our Picasso HDi when the lift pump in the tank gave up the ghost.
Richard W
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

a short in the rail pressure sensor could cause that too, as could a fuel pressure regulator fault, but of which can stop the engine dead with it miraculously restarting again afterwards
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks for all that have replied. Service light remained on throughtout 40 mile drive home as well as engine symbol - did not go into limp mode. This morning I rotated ignition key to on 10 times and light cleared and no further re-occurance today. Fuel suggestions do ring a bell as about a year ago was having problems with power to low-pressure fuel pump which was cured by cleaning the pink wire contact in the connection block adjacent to engine compartment fuse box - suggested by a forum member. Many thanks
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Engine immobiliser alarm/symbol and service light came came back after parking up on and not able to restart after travelling a hundred miles. Tried ignition on/off 10 times and was able to start - left ticking-over for a few mins then failed it again. Restarted same way 10 mins later. Any ideas? Could it be the lift pump. Have scraped contact (pink lead) in multi block next to fuse block (low pressure 12+ feed I believe. Although this contact has over heated seems to be making contact. How expensive?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Probably worth pulling the lift pump and checking the strainer. If it is clogged up the pump will be working overtime trying to pull fuel through it.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Steve