c5 hdi coolant leak maybe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thought I never saw an overflow. So if there is pressure built up through the coolant boiling then this would remain in system too when cold. So the Pfff I hear would just as much be the residue of that pressure build up as that of a knackered cyclinder head?

Incidentally just leaving work for a 1.5 hour drive home. Things conspire against Bloody knackered. Looooooooooooooong day.

See yah for now.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote:Thought I never saw an overflow. So if there is pressure built up through the coolant boiling then this would remain in system too when cold. So the Pfff I hear would just as much be the residue of that pressure build up as that of a knackered cyclinder head?

Incidentally just leaving work for a 1.5 hour drive home. Things conspire against Bloody knackered. Looooooooooooooong day.

See yah for now.
To a limited extent yes. The pressure cap is designed (apparently) to vent pressure above a certain level, anything less than that will be contained in the system. Odd that there is no overflow pipe, never seen a cooling system without one before. Messy if it does blow :)

Long day for you Boris.
Don't forget to bleed it in the morning.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay taken out thermostat. Stuck it in boiling water and saw nothing happen as far as I can see. Will check again in amo but nothing happening.

When opening the liquid was rusty coloured, however when mopping up, the white tissue just went pink like the coolant.

Notices the brass thing in middle of thermostat has rubbing on side. Not much but still rubbing.

Straight away I noticed after 10 minutes running that the radiator got hot. So that may be a good sign asd it never got hot even after 60 miles at 70mph.

One thing though I took out all the thermostat with its seal. Eh, I notices a little jet shooting out from housing whicyh I tightened but am wondering if I was meant to leave seal.?

As for bleeding. As far as I can see it starts pissing out the minute I take the caps off and there appears to be no air spurts but given the liquid coming out I don;t leave them off too long. Seconds really.

NOW buzzing noise, I think I have located it. I have photos to put up so will let you see but it is one of the circular housings beside the brake fluid reservoir. The one at the back and furthermost right. I guess something inside it vibrating. Stuck the screwdriver on it as instructed here and boy it buzzes.

Me Engine.

Injector housings a bit rusty.And rocker head leaking.

Last edited by boristhespie on 08 Feb 2010, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You seem to have nailed it with the thermostat. The brass centre core should rub a bit, that is normal, it contains the wax lump that expands with increasing temperature. That has failed probably due to loss of wax.

It is possible that the antifreeze in the system is the red stuff, giving rise to the pinkness observed. You shouldn't mix this with the blue stuff so you should flush the system before adding blue antifreeze otherwise they may react and coagulate.

Yes, you should have retained the seal or fitted a new one - any luck obtaining a replacement yet?

The buzzing component, haven't a clue what that is but possibly the boost actuator solenoid or the EGR solenoid. Pull the electrical connector and observe any effects - EGR probably nothing, Boost actuator should show a marked deterioration in performance. Clean the connector and replace, if that doesn't have any effect then pull the hoses and clean them out if clogged, then remove the component and clean/replace a necessary.

The slight weep from the rocker box is not much of an issue but a new gasket wouldn't go amiss sometime. Are you sure it isn't just spilled oil from topping up though?

Injector housings could be rusty from the car standing a long time in a moist atmosphere.

Nice photo's. You have taken more pains with them than I did.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Yes, you should have retained the seal or fitted a new one
Bugger. Will have to open up again. :x

Have the thermostat sitting in hot water. Never saw nowt move.

The orange stuff, is the antifreeze and when mopped up was pink on the white kitchen role as it should be as it is pink when it goes in (Halfords: note the drops in the oxidised recess is pink).

Not sure how it appears orange in the thermostat housing though.

Will have to buy yet another bottle of coolant. This is getting expensive. Will see how it goes.

As for another thermostat. Well, they tried to deliveer again on Friday but as ever, like the most of the country we were at work. Wonder how these3 guys get deliveries at home.

Anyway 3rd time so will go back to Europarts. And to think I paied for next day.

Not sure if Europarts deal with Post Office at all. At least there I could pick it up at depot.

This is the sign of things to come when this government gets rid of the post office.

Anyway haven't got another yet. Really son't want to go to a dealer £25 for a part costing 6 quid from Europart. These dealers really take the p**s. Toyotas dealers must be rubbing their hands with these two recalls.

May ask someone to get it from Dingbros.

We will see.

Rockerhead leaks on right.
Last edited by boristhespie on 07 Feb 2010, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure if Europarts deal with Post Office at all. At least there I could pick it up at depot.
If they could post it you can have it sent to your local post office and collect it on a Saturday.
Will have to buy yet another bottle of coolant. This is getting expensive. Will see how it goes.
To put that in perspective, it is considerably cheaper than a head gasket replacement. If the matrix is failing, you'll need to factor in more Forte too :)
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Note: (In totally unrelated news) La Grande Vadrouille is released on the 15th. A great FRench film, their greatest comedy with our good old Terry Thomas.

There are NUNS here too. MY nun is from De Funes's Gendarme films.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If we're going off topic, I watched a rather nice French film last night, "Ne Le Dis A Personne" which I read some years ago as "Tell No One". Didn't recognise any elements of the book in the film but that is normal for me, just bought three books and on reading them, got to within spitting distance of the conclusion only to realise that I have read them before.

Film was good, as most French films are. The soundtrack was excellent too, will be buying that (Amazon have been trying to punt me the DVD for over a year now)

There were very few cars in it worthy of notice though :(
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Tell No-One based on American writer Harlan Cobens novel is superb. You need to see it without knowking about it. Kinda like Hidden. In fact, now that you have metioned it I will watch that tonight.

Do like populist films which never see the light of day here. Mostly Middleclass relationship stuff gets here, so good to see that things are changing as much as I like them.

Check out Le Closet and Diner Des Cons which is being remade.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Its dark and pissing here. Will I do damage not putting the seal in for tomorrow? Would do it tomorrow night.

And can anyone confrim Myglarens take on the buzzing piece pinpointed by the screwdriver?
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It may weep a bit but should be OK until tomorrow as long as you don't use he car - running the engine will expel more than you would really want.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well done Boris, good news at last :D Looks as though you've tracked down the cause of your woes - fingers crossed.

And yes, excellent piccies - makes it so easy if the detail's all there. The oil on rocker box/camcover looks like spillage to me, unless you've a breather on the oil filler cap. A bit more oil might have stopped the injector casings from rusting - can't beat a little oil leakage for rust prevention :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Not so good news. The rate of liquid loss has increased hugely since thermostat was take out. Needs topped up after every trip. I have a thermostat on order but this is wierd?

No leaks notices in radiator?
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

you cant run without the thermostat in the thermostat housing, it needs the metal lip of the thermostat with the rubber gasket on it to seal against the housing leaking, you cant even just put the seal back in on its own either as it isnt thick enough unless its on the thermostat

I have a spare thermostat i have cut the center section out of leaving just the outer ring with a rubber gasket on for testing and diagnostics

If you thermostat isnt opening you may as well cut all the center bits out of your old thermostat for now and put just the outer ring with the rubber seal on it back into the housing so that water can flow through, but you get a good seal on the housing, you will never reach operating temperature running like that, but at least it makes your car driveable till you get your new thermostat and will allow you to verify if you are stil loosing coolant somewhere else
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks will do. Tried to see if the area around the thermo housing was leaking. No sign of liquid but it must be that.

Funny thing re running. The car has felt more alive since taking it out if that makes sense. Maybe thats a placeobo on my bonce.

Anyway here ges anotehr ltre of coolant. I am off home. Feel much better with the light back again. No more 3pm darkies.
C'est pas possible!