Citrojim's AX, Pixo, C3, Running and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

I believe that 'mod' was because the return pipe had cracked off completely. If such a mod can stop the leak between the body and seal, then great, but longer term its an issue.
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan583 wrote:I believe that 'mod' was because the return pipe had cracked off completely. If such a mod can stop the leak between the body and seal, then great, but longer term its an issue.
Gareth, you're quite right. It was in this thread by Kev Mayer.

Sadly, it is not suitable for the kind of leak James and I have but it gives me an idea that might just extend life a little. I was wondering about wrapping some heavy-duty heat-shrink sleeving around the seal and pulling it up really tightly. It'll need some seriously good stuff though with a hole in it for the leakage return.

My ram is on long back-order so goodness knows when I may see it :cry: The Stealer says 22 February but past experience shows these dates can slip terribly so any interim fix might be good to try and if long back-orders are the order of the day then the long-term availability is called into question. I wonder how soon before they will be "NFP".

Feeling a bit better today but far from right. Still feeling totally drained :( I'm actually a little concerned as this may just be a return of my old Achilles heel. Since before Christmas, life has been running at 90MPH and full of stresses, both at home and at work and in truth I've not been relaxing properly. Several times in the past, things have caught up with me big-time in a similar way. I crash to absolute exhaustion and need to take time out to recover from it. I'm taking a week off in a coupe of weeks and in the meantime, I'm going to get some serious and proper relaxation in so I'll be doing no car work except my own and then, only if vital...

One big source of stress was all all the forum hosting issues and I'm indebted to Xac for taking over and running with a good solution to them. You really don't know what a relief it is for me Xac :D

I still have the old Webfusuion server and will for another three months as it's running on free time in compensation for all the problems it has caused. I've been observing it as it still carries one little website of mine and it is still up an down like a fiddlers elbow despite Webfusion saying it is OK and that they've resolved the issues. Hardly 99.9% uptime as they proudly claim for their VPS on the front page of their website.

I've got an automated monitoring system running on it now which "pings" it every three minutes and records and calculates outage times.

This is the results for today since 2AM this morning:

I am letting Webfusion know via email support tickets every time it goes down and attaching dumps from the monitor as proof. I'm hoping to get some satisfaction from this and recompense for all the stress and worry it
has caused. This and the Activa ram issues has done nothing to help my current predicament :evil:

I'm fingers crossed my V6 continues to perform happily as it is my only car at present and that makes me anxious. I was almost tempted to go for the cheap 1.9TD offered this week just to ensure I had two running cars but if push comes to shove, the Activa will be OK locally except for a high LHM consumption and a messy drive.

Off to Somerset on Sunday as it's dad's birthday..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Its a shame bout your Activas ram Jim, they dont seem to be lasting too long at the moment. Someone else recently posted up about one failing within a year or so didnt they. I hope the new one gives longer service! :?

Its a pain when a car is out of service, it is always good to know there is something else to use if one fails. My C5 was playing games recently, so not wanting to use the Xms through the bad weather i was borrowing my mums and sisters cars. Inconvenient.

I hope your V6 gives you an effortless drive down to Somerset :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is apparently a new ram available here in France, although I think the price given is just for the front ram and you have to enquire about the rear one...
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: One big source of stress was all all the forum hosting issues and I'm indebted to Xac for taking over and running with a good solution to them. You really don't know what a relief it is for me Xac :D
Absolute pleasure Jim, it's been fun to set up.
I know what you mean about not having a backup car handy, with Cassy being off the road recently (and not fully back on yet) I've been very grateful for all the help you've given getting Juliet as good as she is :)
Now if only we could do something about improving the fuel economy...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Now if only we could do something about improving the fuel economy...
Pretend there is an egg on the throttle pedal....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: Now if only we could do something about improving the fuel economy...
Pretend there is an egg on the throttle pedal....

Fried, poached or boiled ?
Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

CitroJim wrote: Pretend there is an egg on the throttle pedal....
I've been driving in lower gears recently, to keep the revs above 2000 wherever possible. Seems to need a lot less throttle than in a higher gear with the revs at 1800 even. I intend to check all this economy stuff out by Lexia in the summer. In the meantime, I'm sure the fuel bill won't show much improvement with all the defrosting / demisting at the moment.

Unfortunately, this means not changing into 4th until you've got at least a steady 40mph. Not easy to those of us recently skilled on diesels!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sl4yer wrote: I've been driving in lower gears recently, to keep the revs above 2000 wherever possible. Seems to need a lot less throttle than in a higher gear with the revs at 1800 even.
That's a good tip James as it helps keep the turbo spinning and improving the volumetric efficiency a little.

It's so easy to drive an Activa like a diesel because of the low-down grunt but it does fuel consumption no good at all.

The other way to save a little is to always use a premium petrol, either BP or Shell's Finest... The engine can then run more advance before the knock-sensor comes into play and the more advance you can run, the better the economy by and large...
Jim

Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

CitroJim wrote: That's a good tip James as it helps keep the turbo spinning and improving the volumetric efficiency a little.

It's so easy to drive an Activa like a diesel because of the low-down grunt but it does fuel consumption no good at all.

The other way to save a little is to always use a premium petrol, either BP or Shell's Finest... The engine can then run more advance before the knock-sensor comes into play and the more advance you can run, the better the economy by and large...
It's a tip I got from you Jim, but I find it spins much easier at over 2000rpm (compared to 1700-1800). Hopefully it will show a return at the pump.

I've always filled mine to the brim since I've had it (15 months now) and never noticed ANY difference in economy between Shell V-Power or Morissons regular. :?

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

maybe Morrisons is good stuff :D
Jim

Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

CitroJim wrote:maybe Morrisons is good stuff :D
It would be the best thing on their brand if it was!

Never noticed any pinking on it, but then I rarely drive mine too hard.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

But it's so much more fun if you take it over 4000rpm before changing gears :sprint:

DIY sphere tool
Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

Xac wrote:But it's so much more fun if you take it over 4000rpm before changing gears :sprint:
Yes, but that would usually mean running into the back of someone around here!

Had some fun with a lad in a bright orange Mk1 Golf 'GTI' the other week. He lives somewhere near me, and drives like a tool. His wide exhaust makes a racket, and his car smells far too rich when following him. He undertakes and cuts in at every opportunity. Anyway, rightly or wrongly, I don't like him! :evil:

Managed to get behind him onto a roundabout leading onto a dual carriageway. Some 'regular' traffic in the first lane, so he pulled into the second, and I followed him. I can hear him thrashing his wreck in 2nd gear. I put my foot down, and soon I'm nearly running into the back of him! He flew out of the way once he'd passed the traffic, but I just backed off and pulled in behind him, point proved. (To pass him would have meant accelerating to 70 or 80, and I'm not prepared to do that in a 40 zone!). Anyway, I think it's a 1 litre Golf tarted up, which isn't cool at all!

That's one of the frustrations of an Activa though. So little opportunity to enjoy it. All the roads around here are congested, covered in cameras or occupied by idiots. I could honestly have as much fun, and twice the economy, in the ZX. ( I LOVE that car!). But the Activa is so rare, and such a great solution, that I don't ever want to part with it.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Had to drive to Bedford today on the 421, it's got major road works so they have the specs average speed cameras through the 40mph temporary limit.
3 girls messing about in the Ka infront, doing 30-35, weaving all over the place, and slowing right down as we pass every camera so they obviously didn't have a clue.
As we approached another camera pole on a straight stretch with nothing coming the other way, I moved up behind them (scarily the driver actually turned around in her seat to look back at me!) and quickly dashed passed not going over 40.
They then proceeded to try and ride my tail (which got them plenty of screen wash making them back off).
I increased the distance by keeping a steady 40 as they were still braking for every camera post, and I was able to go straight across a roundabout while they misjudged (or didn't judge at all) and had to stop for traffic.
Next time I saw them I was 3-400 yards ahead, but they raced up behind me again until I lost them at the next roundabout.
I'm hoping in speeding to catch up with me they've got a ticket :)

On the way back, the 421 was solid, so I came off and TomTom took me the scenic route home via Newport Pagnell and many winding roads :D

DIY sphere tool