Xantiaman's Blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan583 wrote: The Activa has to go.
Oh no :cry: What a shame Gareth..

What are you planning to replace it with?

One thing is for sure, it'll be a good 'un to get hold of :wink:

Both you and I know how much work it's had done on it over the last few years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote: The Activa has to go.
Oh no :cry: What a shame Gareth..

What are you planning to replace it with?

One thing is for sure, it'll be a good 'un to get hold of :wink:

Both you and I know how much work it's had done on it over the last few years...
Something with a V6, but not a Citroen :wink:

Its had tons of attenion lavished on it in recent times which should see it good for a few more years yet, and i will be sad to see it go, but sometimes you need to move or, or just have a change.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan583 wrote: Something with a V6, but not a Citroen :wink:
Ahh, well at least it'll be a V6 :D

Peugeot 406 Coupe?

Alfa 166?

Please, not a Dagenham Dustbin or one of Luton's finest :twisted:

Remember this about Citroen ownership, as paraphrased from the Eagles - Hotel California...

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave..."
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

XantiaMan583 wrote: but sometimes you need to move or, or just have a change.
I know what you mean, no doubt you will find something equally as nice to replace it with. Is it still French your next car?

Do you think you will return to Citroen ownership again Gareth?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

I'll give you a clue.

3.0 V6, 226 PS, 155 mph top speed. One of the best handling fwd chassis around (sound familiar?) and fully loaded too, climate, black leather heated seats heated screen six speed box, cruise control, traction control you name it.

They are very hard to come across, and i've fancied one for a while. The car i've found has only 39k on the clock and only one previous owner, it was a steal and too good to miss.

They are juicy, but for my use, its not top priority, like the Activa which according to book figures, does about the same mpg!

The Police still use them round here as unmarked patrol cars for very good reason, short of an Evo or Scooby you wont find a car so capable.

And i can assure you, that the noise is glorious. It will be my first NASP car for a very long time, so it has to be good.

I will still be about once the car has gone to a new, hopefully good home that will have as much time and attention lavished on it in the time i've had it, and in Jim's ownership. Its truly unique, and i will never forget those early days of enjoying ARCS.

Would i ever have a Citroen again? Only a Xantia :D They are great cars and served me well.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes not a bad choice for a drivers car i guess, they always get praise for their handling. Even the diesels in the ST trim are good value, someone i know has just got one for a very good price.

I hope it serves you well. :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Ahh the ST220. Very nice. I looked at them, but out of my price range at the moment.

Shame about the Activa, Gareth but as you say, got to have a change every once in a while. Just hope it does go to an enthusiastic owner who looks after it as well as you have.

While I'm here, where is your little write up on tweaking a CT engine? :wink: 8-)
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Toby_HDi wrote:Ahh the ST220. Very nice. I looked at them, but out of my price range at the moment.

Shame about the Activa, Gareth but as you say, got to have a change every once in a while. Just hope it does go to an enthusiastic owner who looks after it as well as you have.

While I'm here, where is your little write up on tweaking a CT engine? :wink: 8-)
I'm sure i did do a guide, no idea where is its now, it might of been a sticky?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

I did a lot of miles in a Mondeo, admittedly not a sports version, although the 130bhp diesel is very pokey. But I always felt like I was sat on top of it, not in it. Didn't feel secure. (I supposed it leaned quite a lot! :D ) I know they always reviewed well, and I'm probably nowhere near the standard of a magazine reviewer. But I always enjoyed getting back in the Volcane.

James

Ha ha! 'Non-Citroen' was a F**d Mo**eo!
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Maybe it depends on how tall you are, your build etc. The ST has Recaros infinitely adjustable and if anything, i sat quite low and didnt feel perched up high at all, although i'm only 5ft 11. The lower spec ones have totally different seats as i'm sure you know. Citroen seats have always felt quite soft, so maybe thats why you feel like your sitting in them more?

Many many years ago i drove a 1.8 estate, and came away quite impressed with the dynamics and even the engine which didnt feel underpowered at all. Certainly much better than the Vectra B, its main competitor.

I will miss the ride quality, something you cannot avoid with the sports set up but its acceptable and very taut, the steering is nice and meaty too.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer »

I am quite tall (6'3") and I like to sit quite upright for a good view out too. I suppose it felt too bouncy, not well enough damped on the Forest of Dean roads I'd be pushing it on. Sure the sporty one is very different though! But I could never understand why the press raved about the regular models.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Gareth, I notice from your sale photos that you don't have a turbo recirculation vavle (or dump valve) fitted, any particular reason?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Xac wrote:Gareth, I notice from your sale photos that you don't have a turbo recirculation vavle (or dump valve) fitted, any particular reason?
Yes, they were never fitted as standard, unlike the 406 SRi which did have a recirc for no particular reason.

You would have to be running in excess of 25psi to have the potential to cause damage to a turbo by stalling the wheel when shutting the throttle and the very small risk of snapping the main shaft which the compressor and turbine wheel is attached to.

Not having a dump valve actually helps keep boost in the system on very quick gear changes and also reduces lag. An atmospheric DV will make it slower between the gears. I had one on the Maestro for years and if only offered noise.

All the Cossie boys who run big T34's without dump valves and much higher boost than this engine, ecu and turbo itself is capable of delivering.

Ideal solution if your really worried is to fit a recirculating DV, but its not needed on such a low boost installation (12psi in my case, only 3psi more than standard), also as its name suggests it recirculates compressed air which can increase the inlet temperature, something i would avoid at all costs!

My turbo has a fitting for a built in recirculating dump valve but space was a bit tight, it could work if you have skinny hands and arms, which i dont!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

I ask as I fitted one from a 406 to Juliet and it made an improvement.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Xac wrote:I ask as I fitted one from a 406 to Juliet and it made an improvement.
In what respect? Its just something i never got round to doing, also a potential loss of boost when they start sticking, and with the barely adequate standard intercooler i didnt want to increase my inlet temps.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7