106 loose front wheel....!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

106 loose front wheel....!

Post by mgoodlad »

Bought a 106 1.5d 82k miles recently on ebay - came with completely shot front left driveshaft which I have replaced. On putting everything back together although I tightened up the hub nut as much as I could (including breaking my 24" breaker bar - incidently replaced, free of charge at Halfords!!), the front wheel is noticibly loose - if I jack it up (wheel nuts still tight) and grasp the wheel at top and bottom the wheel there is quite noticable give. Likewise holding it at "quarter to three". Looking underneath when this is done I can see it is the central part of the wheel/hub assembly which is moving - ie the lower wishbone and ball joints are all fine. I can hear a clunk when changing direction.
So is this the wheel bearing which has gone? There is no noise when driving to suggest this - my last 106 had a front wheel bearing go but it made a terrible noise. I did seem to have problems putting the new driveshaft into the hub - it went a bit then was stuck for a while - if this is not fully engaged could this be the trouble?
Is a bearing change fairly straightforward? - Haynes manual give it 4 spanners which generally means several hours and many bad words.....
Any suggestions appreciated!
Regards
Michael Goodlad
1996 306 TD 63k miles
1996 106 1.5d 82k miles
jackherer
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 205 GTI Mi16
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

peugeot wheel bearings dont get noisy when they go in my experience.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i find it tends to be the other way around,they tend to go noisy with no freeplay when they go (on 106 & saxos,they are the same setup).even although the hubnut is tight i think the driveshaft may not be pulled through fully.try removing it again clean up & grease the splines,make sure it goes right home when u re-fit.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks for this - I did wonder if it could be the driveshaft engagement because I bought it with a brand new MOT - if the bearing had gone it would not have passed. But I was not sure if that alone could let the wheel get loose.
Regards
Michael
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

And the answer was.......it was the wheel bearing.
I took the driveshaft out as suggested, cleaned everything out and reassembled, tightened up the driveshaft nut as far a possible when still jacked up with someone standing on the brake pedal, then finished it off on the ground.
Made no difference at all.
Put it to the garage to change the wheel bearing - got it back yesterday and completely fixed - no clunk as I go round corners.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Michael