Xac's adventures with Cassy (and friends + wife)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 12 Oct 2009, 16:36

Today has been a day of good fortune.
Firstly I had a second interview in Northampton, and they really like me so hopefully I will recieve a phone call with an offer today or tomorrow :)
Dad phoned me by mistake instead of mum, so I got to ask him about the new picasso he's gotten, fearing the worst. Turns out he's got a 1.6Hdi Exclusive, which from what he says actually has suspension! So he's pleased, although there's a small scratch on one side that was scheduled to be sorted out by Slipend Citroen (from what my folks say, they provide excellent service) tomorrow, but dad was then offered overtime, which was then cancelled, so now it's too late to be sorted this week.
Then, as I was in Northampton, I popped along to the scrapyard there, which was very full. Only 2 Xantia hatchbacks (although I think one went off to be crushed when I was there) and one estate were amongst the lot though.
I nabbed the rear wiper arm from the hatchback, and realised it's the same colour as Jenny, but unfortunately only a 1.9D so no foglights.
I'll nab the bumper and grill tomorrow though, as Jenny's is damaged, and practice cutting the foglight holes with my dremel on the spare broken bumpers I have.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 13 Oct 2009, 15:33

Jenny now has a nice unspoiled grill :D
The driver's side bolt that held the bumper to the 1.9D donor at the scrappy could be turned with my fingertips, but the ratchet made it easier.
The passenger side was fine until the tip of the bolt nearly came out, then the rust on it bit into the captive nut freeing it, so I had to resort to prying the bumper off the captive nut.
Will use a wire brush on the driver's bolt, and a tap to clean up the thread on the captive nut.
For the passenger side, I'll glue a bolt and washer through the bumper bracket from the inside and fit a flanged nut to it once it's on the car.
The donor's wings are ok apart from the driver's side which has a mug sized dent in it.
Don't know if it would be easily knocked out. Jenny's wings have a few scratches and tiny dents like a small child has hit it with a tack hammer, so I may just get the wings, swap the passenger one at least, and see if I can get the dent knocked out. I'll also nab the mud guards from the 1.9D too.
On the way to the scrappy this morning, I realised that I'd left my torx screwdriver set in Juliet, so popped over to the large Tescos by the M1.
For £3 they did a 22 piece screwdriver set, which I'm sure won't put up much defence against heavy use, but does come with a variety of torx drivers from 10 to 40 I think. It also had a small pry bar for removing tacks. This was invaluable as it was ideal to use when pulling off the door strips without breaking any pegs.
For a 15 year old car, the 1.9D's strips were showing practically no signs of milk!
So I've replaced one on Jenny which required extracting the silver strip and inserting it into Jenny's as she has body coloured ones.
Juliet's are looking bad, and the actual strip on her passenger door (which appears to be a replacement door) isn't secure all the way along, so I will probably replace them.
Now, do I leave the 1.9D badges in place? :twisted:

The estate I'd spotted yesterday had gone, but there was a 406 propped up on tyres so I've nabbed both front ABS sensors.
Although they're long and on the 406 enter the engine bay via the wheel arch, they should still be suitable right?
Will get a meter to them later.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 14 Oct 2009, 18:41

Had some good news today, I'd been for an interview last Friday, a second one on Monday, and today they offered me the job :)
I start Monday at 8:30am!

It will be 2 days in north london, and 3 days in northampton, so at least I'll be close to the scrapyard :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 14 Oct 2009, 19:35

Nice one Xac. Hope you enjoy the new job.

Sid_the_Squid

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 15 Oct 2009, 09:08

Good luck in your new job Xac :) congrats for getting one so quickly in these difficult times.

admiral51
donor 2019

Post by admiral51 » 15 Oct 2009, 20:44

Well done Xac :D :D :D :D
2 days driving the Activa to London and a couple of days with breakfast at Sir Jims :lol: :lol:

Colin

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 15 Oct 2009, 21:02

Congratulations Xac :D

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 16 Oct 2009, 22:58

Alas it will be the train into London, but at least the company is paying for that :)

Spent today over with the LX, finally removed the engine and took it in the back of Cassy over to my parents'.
Refitted the hubs to the wishbones etc and fitted the wheels.
Now the car has been sat up high even though the lever has been set to low, for several weeks, so the anti-sink valves are apparently in pretty good nick, so I'll remove the front one, along with the front strut spheres, and then it's off to be crushed, oh and I mustn't forget to swipe the steering wheel.

KP

Post by KP » 17 Oct 2009, 19:41

What else have you left on her Xac as some bits i wish i had taken from mine that were in good nick...

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 17 Oct 2009, 20:23

The only bits to be left are:
suspension struts, hubs, and bald tyres so it can be wheeled away.
lhm soaked seats (it looks like there's been several explosions of oils of varying types in the back).
manky broken rad.
The last bits to remove are the windows, steering wheel and front anti-sink valve.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 13 Dec 2009, 09:44

Two and a half months after last moving Juliet, I thought I'd do my neighbours a favour and get her to the other side of the road so they can park outside their house.
Expecting to need jump leads, I was astonished to have her start straight away!
So my neighbour now says he could kiss me (oo-er), and I've used Juliet to make Mr Mondeo who parked over the road taking up two spaces move up the road a bit by parking her an inch from his pile of green ford.
Need to find the time to work on Juliet and sort out her roll corrector, it's still sluggish and I think part of the problem is damaged threads where the corrector connects to the arms. The locknut can't lock, so it's all able to rotate on one side.
I've now got Cassy's ABS sensor so that needs fitting, also need to give her a good service, swap pumps and fit new glowplugs, but with work keeping me out til late most nights, I'm spending as much of my free time with Danielle, who at the moment is suffering from rather bad tonsilitus and a cough, so bad I'm about to take her back to the walk in center at the hospital.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 Dec 2009, 21:39

Hi Xac, good to hear from you :D

My Activa has been sitting for a long time at one of my friends whilst I've been variously playing V6 and 206.

This evening I took mine for a spin and just like yours, she started just as if she was last run yesterday :D :D

And the drive - bliss, magical :D :P

We must get yours properly sorted in the new year. PM Mike about bumpers. The front one is currently pretending to be an avant-grade sculpture on my back lawn at present :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 17 Dec 2009, 21:24

Been diagnosed with tonsillitus today, and given a prescription of 8 penicillin tablets a day for the next 10 days.
Danielle's been signed off with it for the past week or so, and bless her, despite being ill she's doing a grand job of looking after me :)
Now, how to convince her that replacing one of Cassy's ABS sensors for me will speed my recovery... ;)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Dec 2009, 21:40

Sorry to hear that Xac :( Hope it goes in time for Christmas...

I hear a better form of treatment is to replace the bumpers on Juliet :wink:

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 24 Dec 2009, 23:52

driving to luton this evening in juliet this evening and we lost heat about dunstable.
noticed temperature guage was reading 120!
pulled in at garage and found no coolant!
searching for the source of the leak I found the heater matrix pipes hanging free.
tried to refit them but the o rings were stopping it sliding home.
gave up and removed them so the union would click closed.
bought coolant and filled up with water.
got her up to temperature and bled. she's been fine for the rest of the evening but will keep monitoring and carry coolant in boot.
other than cassy playing up and being ill it's been a good xmas so far :-)