Pug/Cit Power Steering Rams

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Pug/Cit Power Steering Rams

Post by addo »

I'm wondering why the 405 has massively heavier steering than my Xantia, when both have near-identical racks/rams (and the Citroën has wider tyres).

Do the rams ever leak internally, causing heavy steering, or is it more likely to be the usual breakdown inside the pinion valve?

Does anyone have leakage rates to share?

Thanks, Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think if the ram were to be leaking internaly you would have a high presure trckle return

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had one experience of a leaking ram on a 405 and boy, did I ever know about it. ATF everywhere and the reservoir empty in about 10 miles.

Feeling of steering totally unaffected :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That leak, Jim, must have been past the pushrod end seal. Could have been ugly if fingers had been in the way, given the pressure applied! Mate has a Ford ute that loses steering fluid pretty much that fast.

I'm more looking at the leak type you can't see; Malcolm's comments make sense, but I would be interested to know if there's supposed to be any trickle back when the steering is held at partial lock and not changing.