Is my heater matrix broken

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jamez79

Is my heater matrix broken

Post by jamez79 »

Hi, The heater in my pug 106 only works on occassion. I get the odd short burst of heat but then it goes cold again. Is my heater matrix bloked or broken or could it be something else? Is there a site with a 106 repair manual on?
Thanks in advance
Jamez
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Could have a blockage, be air locked or the levers and flaps mechanism directing the air through it could be goosed, buy yourself a manual and try the air lock theory first.
Dave
jamez79

Post by jamez79 »

Thanks for replying. I'll give it a go. Out of interest, if it was worst case scenario and i had to replace the matrix, is it a difficult task to do?
Regards
Jamez
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Well if the 106 is like most other cars it will require the entire dashboard to be taken out to get at it.
If the thought of that doesn't phase you it will be easey enough, if on the other hand it puts the wind up you, you will probably struggle with it.
Keep a close eye on temperature gauge and water level, if there is an air lock it can be there as a result of a leak anywhere in the cooling system.
Dave
shawn

Post by shawn »

Is there a thermostat fitted?
If there is does it work propely?
An easy and cheap fix if this is the problem.
Does the system pressurise as well?
It may not be getting upto temperature if it is'nt especially in this weather.
jamez79

Post by jamez79 »

All the dash mounted adjustments, ie hot cold slider and fan seem to be working. I can hear the flaps moving when i slide from hot to cold. I'll gve the airlock theory a go and see how i get on.
If the heater matrix is part of the cooling system and it could be broke or not functioning well, how come the car doesn't get excessively hot on the temperature gauge? At present it's in the middle of the temp gauge when it's been running for a while and up to normal temp.
Thanks for the responses
James
xClarencex
My Cars:

Post by xClarencex »

The heater in my 306 DTurbo hasnt been working for a good couple of years, so I've had many a chilly drive home, but I'm getting rid of the car so I thought I had better sort it.
Taking the dash out is one hefty and daunting job, especially if you havent done it before. Lots of wires, lots of screws and lots of bits and pieces. My car currently looks like its been in an accident. Now, not only do you have to remove the dash, you have to remove the heater system itself to get the matrix out. Thats not too difficult, but what is difficult is getting the pipes out from the bulkhead grommet. I decided it was near impossible after an hour of trying, and decided to hacksaw off the ends in the engine compartment and pull it from the inside.
To me, the matrix looked ok, and water passes through just fine, but I had the new part anyhow. Its an original part made by Valeo and it doesnt fit. I have now ordered a matrix by Behr, and I am assuming the difference is to accomadate for A/C.
Luckily my car is off the road so I'm in no rush, but I wish I'd never started it. I'm not even convinced its gonna get the heater working.
Ian
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Ian, by doesn't fit do you mean it has a plastic bottom piece fitted to it, if so this is just a packing piece to protect the protruding pipe bends, pull it off.
Dave
xClarencex
My Cars:

Post by xClarencex »

Its about 5mm too wide as there are 3 vertical ridges either side of the space it fits into. If I were to force it in it would probably go, but I aint gonna do that.
The Behr matrix should be ready tomorrow, so I HOPE it will fit ok.
Other than the thermostat and heater matrix, is there any other reason that the heater doesn't work?
xClarencex
My Cars:

Post by xClarencex »

The heater matrix replacement was a success. Nice warm air for these winter months. Safe safe safe! Gotta get the Behr matrix for AC models. Thats a must.
Nice.