IP rebuild kit

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

IP rebuild kit

Post by MikeT »

I've finally secured a spare IP to practice on so I'm now looking for info on the rebuild kits. From what I can tell, they have to be matched to the IP part number and even then may not contain ALL replaceable seals, bearings, bushes and O-rings etc.

Recommendations on suppliers, prices and technical info welcome.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Must not read such posts as there after work. Thought you meant Internet Protocol address rebuilds :roll:

I'm assuming you're rebuilding a Bosch Mike and seal kits for these are pretty generic and can be got at a very good price from this Outfit. I apologise the site is VW orientated but their price for the seal kit is excellent :D

Generally you need to only replace the seals in a Bosch and all will be fine.

For how to strip a pump and so on look here.

Watch the warning about dismantling the rotor head.

I trust yours is already de-armoured?

Have fun. I'm here to advise specifics Mike.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Must not read such posts as there after work. Thought you meant Internet Protocol address rebuilds :roll:

I should have known better Jim! Only yesterday, I was just advising my nephew how there's far too many acronyms used nowadays and how confusing they can be. As an example, a few years back when I moved down here, I recall arguing with the Work and Pensions office, asking/demanding they send me a National Insurance Photo Card after reading in DVLA literature that a "NI photo card" is acceptable proof of ID! :oops: :lol:
CitroJim wrote:I'm assuming you're rebuilding a Bosch Mike and seal kits for these are pretty generic and can be got at a very good price from this Outfit. I apologise the site is VW orientated but their price for the seal kit is excellent :D
Thanks, that is a great price, it'll be worth buying a few as no doubt I'll swap mine out and do that next. Hopefully I won't need the other parts but it's worth knowing they can be sourced if need be.

I'll also be thinking about buying replacement injector nozzles but I don't have a pop tester yet. Didn't you make your own and did you have to weld a threaded passageway onto the ram? I remember your sphere tester. Can that be adapted as a pop tester too?
CitroJim wrote:For how to strip a pump and so on look here.

Watch the warning about dismantling the rotor head.
I did read your web when first published Jim and have revisited a few times since. In fact, just last week I came across a link to it on another forum in a topic about the VE pumps so be assured it's not a wasted effort!
CitroJim wrote:I trust yours is already de-armoured?
The spare is yes, mine isn't yet. Another difference I've noted on my spare is the electronic solenoid operated timing add-on which mine doesn't have. The VE book does say there are several different mechanisms available for external timing control and I haven't worked out how mine is achieved yet, assuming it is. As if these pumps aren't tweaker-friendly enough, already. I've now got more options to experiment with!! 8)
CitroJim wrote:Have fun. I'm here to advise specifics Mike.

Cheers Jim, though it'll be a while before I can start this project.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Mike, good to know others are looking at my website!

That pump of yours sounds like a standard VP20 with the electric cold advance solenoid. It has 12v applied to advance the timing a tad when cold; it's no good for doing a tweak of timing when warm though as I've experimented.

The only way to change the advance curve is to play with the spring behind the timing device piston,
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

Forgot to ask. Did I ever send you the Bosch VP Technical Guide? If I didn't , I'll email it to you. It contains some very useful information you'll find exceedingly helpful.
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:That pump of yours sounds like a standard VP20 with the electric cold advance solenoid. It has 12v applied to advance the timing a tad when cold; it's no good for doing a tweak of timing when warm though as I've experimented.

The only way to change the advance curve is to play with the spring behind the timing device piston,
Do you know where I can cross reference IP part numbers for more technical info? It would help my understanding of the difference in configurations possible as, according to the BOSCH manual, some of the electronic solenoids can adjust proportionately to coolant temp, as well as keep timing accurate under all driving conditions by referencing the lift sensor. But I want to see what the actual timing curve is first - it might not need adjusting.

I couldn't resist, I popped the LDA lid off for a looksee and found the intake side full of engine oil - I mean full! If the car hadn't died of cambelt failure it was close to running itself into destruction :shock:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Two seal kits ordered today in anticipation of the strip down and rebuild - assuming it is a serviceable pump I have.

I've seen many tutorials but still haven't found a complete dismantling guide, including full details and clear diagrams/photos so am thinking of doing this myself, if there's any interest?
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

MikeT wrote: I've seen many tutorials but still haven't found a complete dismantling guide, including full details and clear diagrams/photos so am thinking of doing this myself, if there's any interest?
I certainly would be interested :D
I'm sure in the future many others would also appreciate it.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Mike,

Forgot to ask. Did I ever send you the Bosch VP Technical Guide? If I didn't , I'll email it to you. It contains some very useful information you'll find exceedingly helpful.
Actually on second thoughts, I don't believe I've seen any VP guide. Please do send me a copy Jim, I've finished the Bosch books I have and am just about to start the pump strip down.
red_dwarfers wrote:I certainly would be interested
Indeed Kev, there's quite a few members expressing knowledge and interest in these pumps in another thread. I think I'll put it in the blog section as it'll be a work in progress which I'm just about prepared to begin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Will do Mike. I take it the email I know for you is still good...

I reckon a good strip guide will be very valuable Mike so go for it. It'll fill the gaps left in what I've done nicely..

I'm just about to start an EPIC blog (EPIC as in Lucas I hasten to add)
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Will do Mike. I take it the email I know for you is still good...

I reckon a good strip guide will be very valuable Mike so go for it. It'll fill the gaps left in what I've done nicely..

I'm just about to start an EPIC blog (EPIC as in Lucas I hasten to add)
Yes, same email please Jim.
I shall look forward to your Lucas guide.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

red_dwarfers wrote:
MikeT wrote: I've seen many tutorials but still haven't found a complete dismantling guide, including full details and clear diagrams/photos so am thinking of doing this myself, if there's any interest?
I certainly would be interested :D
Here you go. I've begun the strip down and guide. It's a work in progress so check back regularly for updates.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 922#198922