'95 Black Xantia 1.9TD VSX

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

deian

'95 Black Xantia 1.9TD VSX

Post by deian »

Problem List So Far

1. Knocking from the front over uneven (but not bumpy or pot-holey) ground... is this the droplinks? It sounds quite prominent, but doesn't seem to affect the handling a bad way at all really.

2. Fuel Gauge, ever since I've had it, it's sat on top of the bottom box with it's light on 'most' of the time, garage said they put in £10 the other day, I did about 40 miles at 70mph with the light on, i put in £10 and it soon came back on, I did another 50 miles and put in another £5, gauge slighlty above the bottom box, light will probably come back on soon, is this a dirty sender in the tank, or a dodgy gauge in the dash? Or something simpler?

3. Steering not centre, checked the tyres, guess it will need to be tracked.

4. Engine mounting need changing, it rocks back and forth quite prominently, it's shakeable by hand, and clunks loudly when changing gear quickly. Any idea which one it could be?

5. Smelly washer box, will put in some milton?

6. Accumulator sphere needs doing. Easy enough really.

7. Got a second aerial in the back, can I just rip it fill the hole up, smooth, paint, and finish it off? Black shows every thing up! Need to check which aerial is the radio first, one is in the back the other is in the front, I guess the front one is the radio's.

Other than the first 6 it will be a nice car. Pics to be put up soon.
HDI

Post by HDI »

1/ almost definitely one or both drop links. Look on ebay for good prices.
2/ very probably the sender , not a dificult job.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Agree on the first two HDI. The fourth is likely to be the lower donut mount gone, maybe because an oil leak has covered it in oil over the years and rotted it.

Ideally, you need a press to change it, hard work otherwise. Needs to be done though.

For six, have a word with Gareth.

The steering off-centre is not necessarily tracking if tyre wear is OK. Someone may have had the wheel off and put it back a spline or two out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

In a TD these days you need a GOOD 20 quids worth of fuel to put the Orange light out for a while, mind you, the reserve on Xantias is massive! I can get from my place to BANGOR in my V6 with the orange light on, thats about 30 miles plus!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

I have come to understand the fuel gauge thing, the reserve is nice and gives plenty of warning, so no biggie there.

As for the engine mount, it's the top left one, i quite like it cracking away under hard driving, reminds me of the torque the td can produce. I know of that lower mount rubber which can go, it is not the ideal place to do it easily, it's not this though in this case.

the smelly washer fluid bottle cleared up, and it's now nice.

car doing well, i hammer the bejesus out of it and it's still nice as ever, i will give her some tlc in the form of oil change, and hydractive ecu repair over xmas/new yr, and tyres in january, mot and tax in feb.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Deian,

Engine mounts here! Remember that! Got a current low milage one here, 90k, but it may go onmy ole girl, although its not bad as yet.. :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto