HELP! 306xnd timing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shawn

HELP! 306xnd timing

Post by shawn »

My injector pump went last week and I fitted a second hand one today.It runs fine for about 3 seconds then starts to missfire and bellow white smoke.It passed its MOT only last month so its down to this new pump.From what I've read on here the timing is too retarded but as I look at the pump which way do I turn it?
Front with sticky out electric bit up or down?
OH! Its a Lucas!
And Hello!everybody.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

To advance the timing, turn the pump body against the direction in which the pulley normaly runs, so that means the sticky out electric bit needs to go upwards.
Do all the timing studs fit in their respective positions at the same time.
Dave
shawn

Post by shawn »

I marked all round the original pump with a scriber and put a mark on the front flat as well, this mark I transfered to the new pump.It must be within a millimetre of the old one.I've just read in the manual that there is some sort of built in advance/retard mecanism much might explain why it starts and then gets worse.As the worse it gets the more it compensates I'd have thought.
Talked to a mate with a Land Rover and he said that when he fitted a new pump his took a week to settle in.
But mines so bad I'll get pulled by the cops.[:(!]
shawn

Post by shawn »

Just been out to the car after its been stood all night and it started first time and ran perfectly for about 15-20 seconds this time and then started with the smoke and misfire.
So its getting better but I still dare not take it out.
Rang the breakers where I got the injector pump from and they had not tested it as it came from a car where the cam belt had gone.Said I'd leave it a couple of days to see if it clears.
shawn

Post by shawn »

!!!!DONE IT!!!!
Thanks DAVE!
Tried to drive it out of the garage and it just kept dieing.So then I had this bright idea what if it was 180 degrees out.There was nothing in the manual about this so I thought it must be worth a try,take sprocket off and revolve pump through one complete turn and fasten up again.
But before I did this I thought I'd advance the pump as much as it would go just to see what happens.(sticky out bit up).Only managed to move it 4mm on slots and bugger me it fixed it.
The diesel knocks back as well I had not noticed it was missing.
This has been a good thing really as I always dreaded failing an MOT smoke test as I WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Do now!
Thanks again Dave.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Happy to see you have it going now Shawn, but you want to make sure the timing isn't too far advanced because that can damage the glow plugs through overheating.
Not sure what you were trying to achieve by removing the sprocket and turning the pump through one complete revolution, as that is 360 and would put it right back to the same spot.
The sticky out electric thing by the way is part of the electromagnetic timing advance.
Dave
shawn

Post by shawn »

It would have been the automatic advance which made it run ok for the first few seconds.AHHhhhh!
The sprocket thing was me being desperate and wondering about the fact that the pump turns at half crank speed so i thought it may be a full turn out.Like I said it was not in the manual I made it up.
The timing looked that far out.
Its not too far advanced if anything I'd say it wants advancing more as the car is quieter than it was before.Thought I'd see what the MPG's like first as I like the car being quiet.