405 TD Quasar Estate rear brake siezed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy25watt

405 TD Quasar Estate rear brake siezed

Post by andy25watt »

My 1995 N reg rear passenger side break has siezed.
It happened once before & I managed to get it free by driving forward slightly till it "cluncked".
This time however no joy and after making nice big black marks on my drive from forcing the car to reverse and go forward again I am pulling my hair out.
Does anyone have a simple solution?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Disk or drum?
If it's drums, it's happened before, it's more likely to be either a rusty handbrake mechanism inside the drum or the linings are worn to the point they need urgent replacement. You may be able to shock it off enough to move the car by hitting the drum with a hammer. You could break something doing this though if you're not careful.
If it were my car, I'd reverse the car slightly (so the back rises against the pressure of the rear brakes) then have your handy assistant chock the front wheels so the back of the car is still in the air. Then bash the offending drum using a hefty steel bar poked through one of the holes in the wheel.
Your assistant should be in the car before you start bashing to stop the car on the footbrake if it releases.
Don't get under the car and don't put your arms / hands behind the wheel in case the brake flies off and the car rolls back on you.
If it's disks, pop the wheel off and tap the adjuster lever to release the brake.
Then whichever type of brake you have, overhaul the rear breaks straight away either DIY or at a garage.
andy25watt

Post by andy25watt »

Thanks I'll give it a go. Any idea on cost for replacing rear brakes, by the way they are drums.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

From Andyspares online shop:
T63114 BRAKE SHOE SET-REAR 405 ESTATE 94> GIRLING SYS £19.50+VAT (that's for the set to do both sides).
Check they are the correct ones though. You'll probably need new hub nuts and dust covers (probably main dealer) if it's anything like my Cit. If you DIY, the difficult bit will be getting the stuck drum off, after that about an hour a side allowing time to clean everything up properly and copper grease the handbrake actuators so they don't stick again.
Garage should be able to do it in a couple of hours, but price that up first. Some tend to fit crappy generic parts and charge full retail, reuse hub nuts and dust covers, and spend very little time cleaning everything up.
As the drums will be off, I'd also be looking sternly at the rear wheel cylinders - peel back the boots and check for fluid under there. They may be moist under the boots, but if there is enough fluid under there to coalese into a droplet, change them now. If you don't they'll go soon and you'll need to have the drums off again to replace them - and the new shoes you've just fitted will need doing again because they've been contaminated by brake fluid!
They're not expensive:
T65440 WHEEL CYLINDER 405 ESTATE GIRLING 2/94> £8.50+VAT each (2 required)
The only other thing to consider is changing the rear flexible hose (or hoses) depending on their condition and whether they come undone easily. Again - cheap:
T65714 BRAKE HOSE-REAR 405 REAR DRUMS £5.25+VAT
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.