Xac's adventures with Cassy (and friends + wife)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

I'll check the code and get back to you :)

Danielle and I will be ready, with duck on offer of course!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Danielle and I will be ready, with duck on offer of course!
Excellent :D Duck is good. I was told to eat lots of white meat and Duck is almost white so bring it on.... :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

It's been a very productive day :)

Jim came over this morning and we set about stripping the LX.

I swapped over the driver's back door, unfortunately the front one on the LX could not be removed. The door pins were so rusty the torx just chewed them up.
The silver strip on the LX's donor door was turning milky, so we popped off the one from Cassy's old door by pushing against the pegs with an 8mm ring spanner while Jim gently pried it off from the outside.

Under the direct sunlight it's obvious that the replacement wing is not a match for the rest of the car, it's not even metalic, even though it came off a car with the right colour bumper.
So, I'll have to find someone to respray the laquer on the driver's door, and maybe re-spray the wing, unless I find cheaper right coloured ones at the scrappy.

Jim discovered the LX had suffered a prang at the front, possibly setting off the airbag as the steering wheel has been swapped for one of those horrible leather ones.
The mounting points at the bottom of each headlight are broken, the bumper is split too, so no use for Cassy.
The driver's wing is a bit dented and scratched, so no use to Cassy either.

We managed to test the keypads, and confirmed that the code is stored in the pump, so swapping keypads is possible.

All the time we were working, Danielle kept us full of tea and snacks, she's wonderful :D

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

It's been a very good day Xac :D Totally enjoyed even if we were slowly killing a poor innocent LX and robbing her of her good stuff but at least her legacy will live in in other Xantias.

I really hope the engine and gearbox can be found a good home as it would be a crying shame to see it go to the breakers, being in such good nick.

Say thanks to Danielle for the tea and sausages; they were brilliant :D Gutted at missing duck again :cry:

Pop round and collect the spheres on day in the week...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit

Unread post by andmcit »

I missed something here, nobody wants the engine? What's the story with it
as I have a recipient that would welcome a working TD engine - a s2 1.9TD
Exclusive Auto with leather/roof'n air...

Andrew

Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

Fitted new michelins to Cassy on Wednesday. Costco have a policy of fitting the best condition tyres to the rear, so the old rears are on the front.
Will see now how long it is before the new rears get moved to the front and then replaced, I reckon 5-6 months, with about 3 months from now before the old rears now on the front need replacing.

Cassy's about to be loaded for the trip to Stratford, I've got the passenger carpet, radio fram, centre console surround, and both tailgate struts. Oh and another cake :D
I have to say, with one strut off, the tailgate is a heavy best, but with both off it feels like it's full of lead!

Will see some of you there!

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

Cassy gave me a fright when I started her up this lunchtime.
She sounded really rough, and I thought "uh-oh, changing the boost fueling has done something"
Checking under the bonnet revealed the issue.
The alternator was resting against the intercooler pipe, and it's top retaining bolt was sat just by it.
So whereas I should have been going to the bank and picking up some DVDs for a workmate from home, I set to work putting the bolt back in.

Screwing the T27 adjuster under the cap in the middle of the "flying saucer" clockwise several times has made a vast improvement to her oomph :)

I'll be replacing her brake pads tomorrw, and fitting either the proper LHM feed pipe from the LX or another lenght of garden hose depending on time.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

superloopy1 wrote:
Xac wrote: Screwing the T27 adjuster under the cap in the middle of the "flying saucer" clockwise several times has made a vast improvement to her oomph :)
I'm intrigued, i've got a 'flying saucer', tell me more :wink:
Use a small flat screwdriver to pop the lid off (looks like a flat £1, but it's quite deep), slacken the 13mm lock nut, then a T27 to turn it clockwise.
Make a note of the number of turns. 2-3 is a good start.
Tighten the lock nut and go for a test drive.
Welcome to the world of big grins.
You'll be smokier though, and use a bit more fuel.

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Unread post by MikeT »

They don't call it the smoke screw for nothing :lol:
XantiaMan

Unread post by XantiaMan »

superloopy1 wrote:
Xac wrote:
superloopy1 wrote:
I'm intrigued, i've got a 'flying saucer', tell me more :wink:
Use a small flat screwdriver to pop the lid off (looks like a flat £1, but it's quite deep), slacken the 13mm lock nut, then a T27 to turn it clockwise.
Make a note of the number of turns. 2-3 is a good start.
Tighten the lock nut and go for a test drive.
Welcome to the world of big grins.
You'll be smokier though, and use a bit more fuel.
I'm a big coward when it comes to 'tweaking' but maybe this one will get a try :wink:
No point, not on my old one anyway, as i had already tweaked it as far as it would go without failing the MOT on the smoke test. I went a step further and adjusted underneath the boost compensator so that the fuelling would come in sooner and hence less lag and more response.
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

Just replaced the front pads on Cassy, the old ones weren't totally worn down to the metal this time :oops:

Had bought new pads for the rears as they've not been changed for about 2 years, but they've got plenty of thickness left on them.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

Found a small pool under Cassy today, Danielle thinks it's veg as it's clear, doesn't smell much but feels oily.
Could explain my not so good fuel economy rather than it being my right foot.

DIY sphere tool
KP

Unread post by KP »

Stick it on your tongue and taste it. :-) worked for me before...

Have you have checked the leak off pipes are ok as i've had this before with one of my old ones. The other option which i hate to suggest but has to be said is that the IP is actually leaking, this is a right pain, if possible i'd rebuild the pump or get one of a high milage car like a taxi or suchlike, as i think its been mentioned before that when diesel sits in them for a long time and isn't moving anywhere they tend to rust or something but Jim would most likely be best to tell you whats a good IP or not :)

Fingers crossed for you its nothing too major but best to have the bad news and get something easy when it comes to it!
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

The leak off pipes are dry, however a couple of the injectors look moist around their bases, but not as though it's over flowing.

I could always swipe the one from my LX and bribe Jim with various duck platters to rebuild Cassy's :D

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Xac wrote: I could always swipe the one from my LX and bribe Jim with various duck platters to rebuild Cassy's :D
Bring 'er round Xac and I'll take a look :wink:

Did you say duck :P
Jim