306 heater matrix

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jackherer
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 205 GTI Mi16
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

306 heater matrix

Post by jackherer »

I've been informed that changing the heater matrix in a 306 is a ten hour job at the dealers.
has anyone taken it on DIY?
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

I'm pretty sure there are old threads on this one. The answer is yes (not me though!!). It took our dealer something like 8 hours if I remember rightly. A friend was the mechanic. He said some nasty things and it isn't by any means simple but as far as I can see it is achievable as a DYI job.
Hopefully one of those who has actually done it will respond.
Cheers
JohnW
jackherer
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

I tried searching first as I'm a moderator of several forums (including http://forum.205gtidrivers.com) and I spend a considerable amount of my time telling people to do just that, but it doesn't seem to work, a search for the word matrix in all forums including archived posts finds no results, not even this thread!
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

As the <b><u>complete</u></b> dashboard assembly has to be removed, this is not for the faint hearted. Has yours finally expired?
jackherer
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

its my neighbours car, and yeah, it is leaking all over the carpet and lots of steam blows out the dash.
I'm sure I could do the job given the time, but I'm not sure I can commit ten hours + working on my neighbours car as a favour.
I am going to bypass the matrix for the time being so we can make sure the rest of the car is OK first. He is convinced the head gasket has gone and the resultant pressurised coolant system caused the matrix to burst but I dont think it has.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jackherer</i>

its my neighbours car, and yeah, it is leaking all over the carpet and lots of steam blows out the dash.
He is convinced the head gasket has gone and the resultant pressurised coolant system caused the matrix to burst but I dont think it has.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds like the matrix to me. If desperate, I'd tackle my own (very desperate - I'd forgo red wine for a month or two to pay for someone else!) but someone else's? Significant risk of dashboard noise after re-assembly might help you decide......
Only my views, but you did ask.
Good luck.
JohnW
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Don't even go there, especially if it's got twin airbags and/or air conditioning. It is a dash out job, and the alarm/immboliser unit has to be disturbed, and we all know how fickle they are.
Personally I'd pretend I was washing my hair.
Paul.
JR

Post by JR »

I have recently had the heater matrix on my peugeot 306 replaced. The part itself was £35.00 from Andy Spares and the labour came to £239.00. I would strongly advise that a trained mechanic does this job; if they quote 10 hours, then you could easily multiply this by two if you attempt the job yourself.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

As the matrix is the weakest link in the coolant system, it could be advisable to have the system pressure checked to make certain the head gasket is in perfect health.
Any pressure elsewhere, the cylinder head for example, in the system could cause the matrix to fail prematurely. The matrix on my 309 failed after 175,000 miles and I bypassed it, and ran the car, with no heater, for a while.
I was quoted around £400.00 from a local peugeot garage for the matrix job, they are blaming poor quality antifreeze for the fialures
Good luck
Kevin
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Paulmi16</i>

Don't even go there, especially if it's got twin airbags and/or air conditioning. It is a dash out job, and the alarm/immboliser unit has to be disturbed, and we all know how fickle they are.
Personally I'd pretend I was washing my hair.
Paul.
Paul - I'm with you there!!! I'm still hoping someone might have some made with a bit more strength. Dismal design. My only grumble with the 306.
JohnW
jackherer
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
I am not going to take the job on, the plan was to sell the car after it was repaired anyway so I am going to bypass the heater matrix and my neighbour is going to sell it in the car auctions.
gemmel
My Cars:

Post by gemmel »

If anyone would like there peugeot 306 heater matrix done as a Diy job, no problem. I have taken my dash out four times now and have mastered the art. 10 hours my ass!!!! more like 3 max. Thot id mention it!!!
JR

Post by JR »

wow, three hours, and how long did it take you the first time you removed it? !!
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gemmel</i>

If anyone would like there peugeot 306 heater matrix done as a Diy job, no problem. I have taken my dash out four times now and have mastered the art. 10 hours my ass!!!! more like 3 max. Thot id mention it!!!
Why four times?
JohnW
jackherer
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

gemmel: on your profile page it says:
I dont know exactly what that means but could you have an unfair advantage over the average DIY mechanic due to your job?
It now looks like I am going to take the job on as a friend of mine is buying the car from my neighbour. I will post my experiences here.