Introducing THE BXAGON CHALLENGE

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Introducing THE BXAGON CHALLENGE

Post by citroenesque »

My name's Phil Chidlow and I've organised a charity event ( www.bxagon.com ) for this coming October. It was created as a rather shamelessly exclusive event, having been conceived initially within the BX Club. Of course, support from other Citroen fans was always going to be greatly appreciated.

However, a most important consideration is this: if the event proves a success and we reach our fund-raising target, and it is proved that it is a viable format, then I would hope that it could form the template for a more encompassing French car event in the future.

Each team, as you will read if you have time to visit the site, is self-funded and every penny donated or pledged will go to Cancer Research UK.

Some have already donated, for which we are hugely grateful. Please, if you can, sponsor either: The event (this is done by pledging an amount per mile - an average distance travelled will be used - likely to be 2,500 miles+) or feel free to sponsor my team - or another of course! - either with a one-off donation or again a 'per mile' pledge, when the team's actual mileage will be used.

Of course, the greatest thing I could hope to come of this post is that members of the FCF who were until now ignorant of the BXagon Challenge will feel inspired to put a team together. After all obtaining a decent BX* is not too hard - even these days... *BUT NOW THIS EVENT IS BEING EXPANDED. See the UPDATE, that follows this post.

Please PM me if you wish to offer help, advice, support, sponsorship or to make a pledge - or indeed to join in! Visit BXclub for loads more info and background, under the Events section...

There will be a decent BXagon presence at the CCC National in July...

Phil
www.philibusters.org
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Supporting the BXagon Challenge

DO YOU OWN A 1982-1994 2cv, Dyane, Méhari, Visa, Axel, LNA, GSA, CX, AX, XM, ZX. or indeed an early Xantia?

DO YOU WANT TO BE PART OF A ONCE-IN-LIFETIME CHARITY EVENT?

DO YOU WANT TO DRIVE 2,500 MILES AROUND FRANCE IN THE COMPANY OF FELLOW CITROEN ENTHUSIASTS whilst helping to raise thousands of pounds for CANCER RESEARCH UK?

Then read on:

From its inception the BXagon Challenge has been an event for the Citroen BX and it's owners. The purpose of it is to raise as much as possible for Cancer Research UK (CRUK), whilst providing something rewarding and fun for the members of the BX Club.

But, over the past few months it has become clear that there is interest from other quarters - that is, from non-BX owners. The Citroen Car Club has joined the enterprise, offering much-welcome support, publicity and credibility.

I believe the number of teams to originate from the BX Club has reached a maximum barring unexpected last-minute commitment. The circumstances now are totally different to those prevalent last September. But in the spirit of adapting to survive we want to look to other ways of raising the number of participants.

First, there are BX owners who are members of the Citroen Car Club, and thanks to the club's support and coverage in the Citroenian magazine, as well as a determined showing at the CCC National in July, we would hope to get a participant or two from their ranks. But nothing, as we know, is certain.

Secondly, we can push the recruitment of 'Collectors' - those who would be prepared to get names on sheets, pledging support (in the form of a one-off donation or fraction of pence per mile upon completion of the event), without actually taking their BX to France (if indeed they have one!). This could prove to be a major part of fund-raising.

Then, thirdly, we can think laterally about appealing to a broader range of potential participants. Which brings us to:

A new category of BXagon Challenge participant: The BXagon Challenge Supporter.
With their vehicle carrying a special 'In Support of - The 2009 BXagon Challenge: For Cancer Research UK' sticker, the 'livery' won't be as extensive as on the participating BX's, although there will be web address and small plaque stickers. Of course, CRUK and sponsor's logos can be applied as appropriate.

This is NOT intended to dilute or diminish the core 'BX' aspect. It is all in support of the BX and CRUK. Nothing has changed.

It is intended non-BX owning participants will further bolster the team-count and funds raised for the Charity.

BXagon Supporter entry criteria:
All criteria (bar vehicle stipulations) that apply to BX entrants apply to all other participants. It is necessary that entrants are members of either the BX Club, BX Project, BX 16v Club (or any other BX-focussed group) or the Citroen Car Club.

So, what cars can take place?

Well, in the same way that the BX formed part of a range in the Citroen showrooms 1982-1994, any contemporary Citroen car is eligible:

Registered October 1982 to June 1994:
2cv, Dyane, Méhari, Visa, Axel, LNA, GSA/GSA break, CX/CXFamiliale et al., AX, XM/XM break, ZX/ZX break, Xantia (incidentally launched March 1993).

Exclusions: Commercial vehicles and Motorhomes from that period.

It gives us potentially a massive boost when it comes to recruiting teams - especially at the National in July. We have enough time to skew the publicity accordingly - adding a new page link to the BXagon website, generate a welcome pack for all comers etc. And importantly it gives any new recruits three months to prepare - if the will is there, it is sufficient. And even BX Club members who maybe be unhappy with using their BX can consider another chance to take part.

I understand the BX Club purists in particular getting worried and dismayed at this proposal. I will ensure that the emphasis is ALWAYS on the Event and the BX. But the other invited models (as a part of the Citroen range of the time) will be regarded in the context of the BX.

Although I have not yet received unequivocal acknowledgement from the CCC executive (I'm sure if there are any issues raised they won't conflict with the objective of this change) the feedback I have received is, without exception in support of this expansion of the Event. And seeing as this is in memory of AlanS; Alan Smith, I can't think he'd disapprove: After all, he enthusiastically embraced more than the Citroen BX. I just wish he was able to witness the event in reality.

I would be happy to enter into discussions about the details of this plan. Just e-mail/PM or phone.

If there are any Citroen owners out there interested in taking part in this potentially amazing event - please get in touch asap and I'll send all the info I can to help you make up your mind.

Thanks.

Phil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Phil,

I must get in touch with you about this. Changining circumstances leave me almost constantly busy these days, hence my obvious absence from the BXC.

Why are you imposing an age limit on suppprting vehicles? Whilst I agree the Xantia I've just sold falls into your limits, I don't quite understand why a 1993 Xantia would be acceptable but a 1997 one would not be.

I feel a number of owners of newer Citroens may have participated but for this restriction.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I would certainly consider it in my 1999.. on WVO so I guess I would be at the back :twisted:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

As I read it, it would be to keep only cars which would have shared stealer forecourt space with BXs involved, thus retaining the BX-factor rather than just a general Citroens of the 80s and 90s trek.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Xac wrote:As I read it, it would be to keep only cars which would have shared stealer forecourt space with BXs involved, thus retaining the BX-factor rather than just a general Citroens of the 80s and 90s trek.
You got it. As it is there will be in all likelihood another 'Hexagon Challenge' open to ALL classic Citroens within the next couple of years, I wanted to broaden the scope without throwing out the 'theme' completely. It does mean potentially a lot more participants even with this minor modification to the entry criteria.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Exactly, there's no reason why next year there can't be an X-agon challenge for Citroens with Xs in their names.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Like Saxos? :lol:

Actually, doing 2,600 miles in eleven days of driving around the edge-ish of France in a Saxo would be a Challenge in the true sense :lol: ...

BTW everyone

BUMP!
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

citroenesque wrote:This is eligible...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-CITROEN-XANT ... 0377341065
Cor!
Not many of them about, the Chevrons on the bonnet AND a 1.9 TurboD 8) AND it also looks as if it could be a VSX too AND fairly local to me. This is where I winge about not having enough space :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Tempting for the money. At the mo.

And even if you couldn't do the BXagon Challenge in it, (unless you could join in for the 'Chasers' mini-event...) it's an interesting proposition.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenesque wrote: unless you could join in for the 'Chasers' mini-event...
Phil, what's this chasers mini-event all about then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

For those who would love to be able to participate in the BXagon Challenge but can't take the time out, or maybe would struggle to afford the whole exercise, they can join in for the last segment - and all we ask is that they raise at least £100 in sponsorship for the charity. (And don't forget to bring a tent!).

Introducing: The BXagon Challenge Chasers mini-event:

Open to any vehicle eligible for the full Challenge (and even then we won't be too strict! :wink:

Suggested itinerary: On Monday 26th October, take the 20:30 overnight ferry to St. Malo (£142 for car + two people with reclining chairs - a cabin costs about £26 more) from Portsmouth (Brittany Ferries). Leave the ferry at around 08:30 on the morning of the 27th, and take a day exploring the area west of Rennes (the BX's homeland), maybe making Vannes by mid-afternoon.

There, after establishing contact with the BXagon 'convoy' arrange to meet up there, or drive to rendezvous with the BXagoneers at Mike C's (AKA Mike St.Gilles) place a few kms south of St. Brieuc; St.Gilles Vieux Marche (directions and precise location will be supplied). This is the scheduled BXagon stop. There will be a grand BBQ and camping for all (although we can supply details of a nearby Hotel or two).

Then, on the morning of the 28th join the drive with the rest of the teams from there to Dieppe via Normandy (lunch in Arromanches?) for an overnight at a cheap (€38 per room) Etap hotel. The morning of Thursday 29th, there will be a leisurely drive to Le Touquet Paris-Plage for a photo-session before arriving at the finish 'line' (ie Ibis car park) in Calais on the 29th. Leave for Blighty that evening or remain for a celebration meal and stay at the Ibis (€49+)... returning to the UK on Friday 30th... (Calais to Dover/Folkestone - from £32).

So, for a chance to be part of the BXagon, raise a bit for charity, spend a memorable few days in France and give your Citroen a good work out, this really has to be worth considering. And it could all be done for £200-£250 per person (based on two sharing)...

So go on, help us make the BXagon a success - and pave the way for subsequent adventures!
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Just a quick, unashamed BUMP :lol:

By the way, the GBP is strengthening against the Euro. It's now nearly 15% stronger than it was in February/March... long may it continue to improve.