Xantia V6 exclusive.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Xantia V6 exclusive.

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Xantia V6, my first Xantia V6, and wow, what a drive!

As my sig shows I've only ever really had diesels before* HDi being the fastest xantia I've owned, or ever driven... until now.

I'm just so impressed with the seemly effortless speed you get from the V6.

I'm just so impressed had to share with everyone... who else is in the V6 club, so to speak?
8)

*except for la vache.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They're great arn't they :lol: Welcome to the "Exclusive" club!!

After finally driving a working one, I have every reason to get mine back on the road ASAP :D If I wasn't smitten before, I am now.

I've had one for four months but never driven it as it came to me broke.

My drive of one blew me away. Effortless sums it up very well and what got me was the change of character if you floor it at 50mph :P :D :D :D

Have you seen my V6 Blog? I warn you that it's long and may be disturbing in parts...

You must now give us more details. Is it a rare MK1 and how many miles has it done? May I draw your attention to their achilles heel, the gearbox...

Also, they're not nearly as hard to work on as first appears. I'm sure you've lifted the bonnet, gone pale and shut it again quickly :lol: Everything is doable and some jobs are actually easier than on say, a 1.9TD :D

EDIT: Sorry, just seen it's a '99 model you have...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Xantia V6 exclusive.

Post by DickieG »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:I'm just so impressed had to share with everyone... who else is in the V6 club, so to speak?
Me :D or as I should now I say SWMBO as she stole it from me :( which really says a lot about how nice they are to drive as she much prefers the V6 to her BMW, unless the sun is shining that is 8)
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can quiye understand why SWMBO prefers the V6 Richard, and grabbed it for herself. I can tell you I felt an urge to kidnap the one I drove. The V6 does that to you :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

hey fellow club mates ;)

I've not seen your V6 blog yet Jim, but will check it out tomorrow, when I'm suppose to be working.. hehe don't tell the boss...

I must admit cramming that large engine into a xantia seems like quite a feat, I'd ideally like to LPG the car, but not sure if theres enough room!
Is there a workshop manual which covers the V6 neither of my haynes xantia manuals seem to.

I've read the auto boxes on xantias can be troublesome if not well looked after, luckly the service history for this car was farily good, indicating a gearbox oil change at 80k miles.

The car has currently done 115k miles, with lots of servicing, the engine sounds great, and pulls very well, and the suspension is the smoothest I've ever felt, last service all 8 spheres were changed

When would be prudent to change the autobox oil again?

I'm going to try chaining the box oil in "la vache" this saturday, as she's got 90k and as far as i know no box oil change, I've downloaded the AL4 oil change PDF posted on one of the other gearbox threads here, posted Jim I believe, hopefully its as easy as it reads (famous last words). I'm guessing that its a similar (if not the same) gearbox for both cars?

I think the auction page is still up if you fancy a gander ebay item: 260401405110

The seller was a Citroen enthusiast, but apparently dose not frequent this forum. :?:

He told me, I managed to just snatched it away from another interested party, if its anyone here I apologies, but I'm sure you can appreciate why ;)

by the way DickieG what does SWMBO stand for?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations.

James

P.S. It's She Who Must Be Obeyed!
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

P.S. It's She Who Must Be Obeyed!
hehe, yep know what thats like ;)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! She's a beaut :D Cream leather too! Very tasty.. She looks incredibly tidy 8)

No, sadly, no workshop manual (in BoL form at least) but just ask me :wink: I have plenty of information on them and gaining a lot of experience on them as I go along with my restoration... My blog is almost a workshop manual in itself :lol: :lol:

If the gearbox oil was changed at 80K, I'd be tempted to give it another as like the AL4, it is only possible to do a partial change. Both the 4HP20 and AL4 use the same (ESSO LT71141) oil and it's best bought in 20L drums so you'll have enough to do both. Note that ONLY this oil is suitable and to use anything else risks damage.

My blog explores very thoroughly what goes wrong in the gearbox. There is no doubt in my mind that they potentially contain two possible "timebombs" set to go off at high mileages :( All is not lost as if you get to them before they die, they can be fixed but to do so it's an engine out job and a full gearbox strip.

Yes, indeed the AL4 and 4HP20 are conceptually very similar 'boxes.

The thing to watch on the AL4 is to observe the recommendation on oil temperature when checking the level.

Everything is well crammed in the engine bay but it was done with very intellegent thought and the ES9J4 engine engine is an absolutely beautiful piece of engine design. Servicing and maintenance really is not as difficult as it looks.

Do enjoy the car. They are gorgeous...
Jim

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Looks like a nice car, you seem to have got yourself a lovely condition, high spec car that's been looked after, and it's V6 powered, so it looks like you got a right result there! 8)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
grahamstephen

Post by grahamstephen »

The Xantia V6 is a lovely car, with excellent handling.I really love this car because its handling is beautiful and the engine quite strong.
mantis_v6_exclusive
My Cars:

Post by mantis_v6_exclusive »

also driving a v6 - question to put out there - does everyone else have problems with their cruise control (it does not work)!!! Any ideas ?
Jason

Fun - '98 Black V6 Exclusive Auto (Black leather)
Eco -'97 Green 1.9 TD VSX (Black Leather)
Died - ' 97 Green 2.0 VSX Auto (Black Leather)
Sold - '94 Blue 1.9D SX
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi Mantis, Do a forum search, I recall someone having a cruise issue which was resolved, although can't remember details.

Tell us more about your V6 i.e. colour & interiour options, milage, how long you had it.
Its great theres quite a few V6 owners showing up now. :)

Trying not to sound like a gimp; but are you keeping up with gearbox oil changes, nothing to do with cruise control, just part of regular maintaince which usually gets missed?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Chaps, how many ratio changes do you get in D?

I counted 5 the other day, at least I am 99% sure I did..

Gearbox 99815 miles :O (although speedo issues mean it's probably 105000 in reality..)

John
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Interesting question.
There are of course 4 gears, however couple that with the torque converter there could be many more ratio changes, as the TC uses various degrees of lockup\slip depending on current conditions, sometimes noticeable as distinct jumps, other times as subtle gradual changes. There’s probably a couple of other factors like engine power output, the gearbox ecu can request slightly advanced or retarded timing from the engine ecu to slightly manipulate engine power output to suit current conditions.

Ever noticed that sometimes the engine revs remain constant, but the cars speed increases? The magic of torque converters.

I've never actually spent to much time counting, but during my normal relaxed driving style cross town I reckon I typically see about 6, but that depends heavily on traffic and what mood I'm in.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Jason, ref your non-working cruise control. I am not the originator of this, but try bending a small piece of fusewire into a "u", then bridge terminals 9 and 10 on the cruise control computer. It might not work but will do no damage and it does bypass a number of possibly faulty components.

Yes, the ES9J4 engine is sweet. Even in my heavier XM it provides plenty of performance and it is S O o smooth.

Incidentally, I have developed my own way of changing the gearbox oil. I first check the level is correct - engine running, oil at operating temp, undo the level plug and check for drips. Then I wait until the whole thing has cooled down to ambient, drain down, measure the volume drained and then refill with exactly the same amount of fresh LT71141.

Refilling has to be done through the breather hole on top of the gearbox, you have to lever out the breather plug (a rather fetching shade of blue) and its pressed steel housing. The problem is that you then need a pipe that has sufficient clearance to allow the displaced air to come out. If you don't it will take forever and when you finally lose patience you're going to get a bath in LT71141, which is expensive and upsets your calculations as to how much oil you've put in.

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby