MPG from 406 1.8lx

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

MPG from 406 1.8lx

Post by KP »

What kind of MPG should i be seeng from one of these rude boy vehicles?

I only ask as i have one and the amount of power makes me jealous of the local milk floats yet it only gets to around 43mpg ish.

It sems very strange, not only does it roll like homer simpson when krusty burger do an all you can eat buffet, but if you plant your foot on the not so noisey pedal and see how far into the Faux french axeminster it will go, there is the faint hum of mice thinking about working....

I think this car i have is on a par with my old renault5 campus in the speed ratings though im sure the R5 did a better mpg.....
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Is that a typo? 43mpg is excellent from a heavy 1.8 litre!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Will,

A 406 :shock:

43mpg from a petrol 1.8 seems good to me. Performance from the lardy, overstuffed old thing is going to say the least, steady. The 1.8 (I assume the 16V one) is good for 130 BHP or so but the 406 is so lardy...

I have to say, if you're comparing it to a Xantia, especially an Activa, don't! My lad has a 2.1TD 406 and I dislike the bloody thing with a passion. It's like driving a bloated, oversized wheelbarrow with a flat tyre with an old armchair stuck in it :twisted: To me the handling and brakes verge on the side of shocking and dangerous.

To think they're based on a Xantia as well :twisted:

Still he likes it and I have to say in my defence M'lud, that after the Xantias I drive, nothing comes up to scratch...

Having said that though, for reliability and doing the normal car things, they're pretty much unbeatable. My lad neglects his to death and it just turns around an laughs at him - you won't do that with a Xantia :lol:

I trust this is just a temporary set of wheels until the Activa is rolling again Will?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

1.8 16v will be 113bhp from memory. It wasnt very torquey either and needed working hard in my dads old Xantia back in 1999. It also suffered from the laggy revs between the gears quite bad, making it difficult to drive smoothly.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I drive one of these on a regular basis......the 1.8 16v is 120bhp, but lacks torque. You have to rev it to 4k before it picks up, but after that it shifts fine. It's comfortably faster than my 1.9TD 405 if allowed to rev. You should see between 40 and 45mpg from these engines, which is not too bad, and in fact about the same as my 405!

CitroJim: I'm surprised, I find the 406 to handle well for a car of it's size, and the brakes are good too. In fact, the brakes were a lot better than the Xantia I drove! Which is strange as I've got a tenner that says the brakes will be the same on both cars.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

evilally wrote:I drive one of these on a regular basis......the 1.8 16v is 120bhp, but lacks torque. You have to rev it to 4k before it picks up, but after that it shifts fine. It's comfortably faster than my 1.9TD 405 if allowed to rev. You should see between 40 and 45mpg from these engines, which is not too bad, and in fact about the same as my 405!

CitroJim: I'm surprised, I find the 406 to handle well for a car of it's size, and the brakes are good too. In fact, the brakes were a lot better than the Xantia I drove! Which is strange as I've got a tenner that says the brakes will be the same on both cars.
Early ones were 113ps (112 bhp) and 114lb ft @ 4250 rpm, still a a bit gutless truth be told. Later ones were 117, with improved economy.

Also the brakes wont be same, the calipers on the front will definatly be different due to the handbrake arrangement, and the whole system was not an independant fluid set up as per conventional, so braking performance will be very different.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

the best way i can describe it other than in Jims words is a water bed with wheels. The handling isn't bad as it seems to corner ok but the actual feel is very numb. the ledge to the right of the loud(or lack thereof) pedal is very stupid as it serves no use but to annoy me and the engine seems to rattle a bit though im sure its the aux belt being a bit loose.

Its a 51plate which isn't too bad and has auto wipers and lights. Something i would like on the xantia as well as the nifty little in dash display for MPG and such like, pity we cant get that for a xantia! but they are the only things i would take over, it feels much heavier than a xantia and i do constantly think the tyres are flat now as after checking the pressures and finding they were over pressured a few psi iut feels much worse now!

At the moment i dont even really bother accelerating in it as it takes so long to get going, i just glue the pedal in one place and just waitin with the lorries in the slug lane as it gets upto speed and slipstreams them...
The seating position is very strange as well.

I miss my activa and cant wait to have it back but i cant complain too much as M&M are doing me a favour by trying to keep labour to a minimum and doing it in their downtime and suchlike :)