OEM H1 Globe Life

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

OEM H1 Globe Life

Post by addo »

The other day, I replaced my X2's dipped beam bulbs (original Philips from January '99) with new Osram overspec ones. Was just getting that feeling it was "nearly time".

The old filaments looked grey and oxidised; a very gentle shake of each and they crumbled - in real life this might have been a few more bumps or corrugations on a dark road...

Local prices weren't cheap (£19 almost) but I do feel that potential disater was circumvented.

Regards, Adam.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Over spec in what way ?
Aren’t the mirrors going to melt ?
There are quite a few topics here about a relay modification to properly feed the headlights more directly from thick wires.

Mine are still original, November 1994, RP6589, but I hardly ever drive after dark.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not that hot! :lol: They're still 55 watts nominal rating. Paris had those stupid "Cosmic White" 90/100 H4s in her headlights, and the relay mod - ugh on the light colour and glare!

FWIW improvement is slight but noticeable over the old ones; peace of mind the greater factor (I drive a lot, and always have the headlights on - there's something about the slightly damped motion of a Citroën on the road, that can make people think it's not moving all that fast).

I will do this car with the relays, but want a little more time to make a decent fist of it.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Not that hot! Laughing They're still 55 watts nominal rating. Paris had those stupid "Cosmic White" 90/100 H4s in her headlights, and the relay mod - ugh on the light colour and glare!

FWIW improvement is slight but noticeable over the old ones; peace of mind the greater factor (I drive a lot, and always have the headlights on - there's something about the slightly damped motion of a Citroën on the road, that can make people think it's not moving all that fast).

I will do this car with the relays, but want a little more time to make a decent fist of it.
I converted both of our Xants (Mk1 and Mk2), to separate relays for dipped and main beams. Worthwhile (especially Mk1), as one gains something like 1.2V at the bulb, engine running, if fed directly from the alternator output.

However, my Mk2 XM shows only around 0.2V improvement, so it's a no-go. Latest Philips trick-sh•t bulbs were worthwhile on dipped beams, largely overcoming losses through the yellowing optical filters. Main bean isn't worth the hassle. Also shows that Citroen tried harder with the later XMs.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj