Peugeot 306 Diesel L Speak.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Happy
My Cars:

Peugeot 306 Diesel L Speak.

Post by Happy »

Hello all. Just found this site and signed up.

Is there any one out there that would possibly no or have some idea what this problem could be.

I have an annoying squeak which seems to get louder the faster i drive. It seams to be more prominent when the engine is hot. I have had the timing belt changed+2 of the tensioners, Plus the fan belt. I have changed all the oil imaginable, But the squeak is still there. You hear nothing at first but turns up eventually. I tried the brakes as i was driving with the car squeaking away, And it seamed to stop when i apply the brakes. I have changed the discs and pads also. It's driving me nuts.

I spent all that money on belt changes, Only to hear the dreaded squeak.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Wheel bearings? Usually a drone i know but its possible.

I had a squeak on one of my cars, from the brakes. Found out the hub had been bent when the dealer had fitted a new wheel bearing, so the pads were rubbing on the discs causing a sqeak. Distored the discs quite quickly mind, so you would notice that.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

welcome to this site

fisrtly dose it have discs all round or just on the front, was the squeak there before discs and pads, if not maybe there is either wrong pads fited so they are touching somewhere, or one ore more of the anti rattle springs are not quite seated corectly so contactting a moving part,

did you copper slip the pads on fitting,

same at rear if discs, but if drums either there is a lip on one or both inner edges of the drum/s, so the edge/s of the shoe/s are causing a squeak, or a shoe retainning sring or part of the adjuster mechanisum is running near or against the drum/s

regards malcolm
Happy
My Cars:

Post by Happy »

citronut wrote:welcome to this site

fisrtly dose it have discs all round or just on the front, was the squeak there before discs and pads, if not maybe there is either wrong pads fited so they are touching somewhere, or one ore more of the anti rattle springs are not quite seated corectly so contactting a moving part,

did you copper slip the pads on fitting,

same at rear if discs, but if drums either there is a lip on one or both inner edges of the drum/s, so the edge/s of the shoe/s are causing a squeak, or a shoe retainning sring or part of the adjuster mechanisum is running near or against the drum/s

regards malcolm

Thank you for the welcome. And i would like to thank you all for the help that i am receiving from you.

Yes the squeak was there before i changed the discs. And i have drum brakes on the back. I did take both the back wheels of to try to remove the drums to see if i could see a problem, But i was unable to take them off, Due to not knowing how to.

I had a problem a while back with the hand brake not holding the car, So i did the nut up under the centre console but checked that the wheels ran freely, So i am wandering if i should get the back drums off and have a look, to see if the shoes or a complete drum replacement.

Is there anywhere on here that emplanes how to get the drums off. Thank you for your help.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok you should not adjust the cables up untill you know the shoes are adjusted corectly,

the prob with most self adjusters they just dont work and adjust up in normal use,

so it is necessary every now and then to remove the drums and manualy adjust the shoes, quite often you ight find parts of the adjuster mechanisum missing all together,

to adjust the shoes enough you will need to make sure there is no lip at the outter edge of the shoe contact area of the drum,

to remove the drums you need to undo the hub nut as the drum comes off the stub axle,

the part that i have quite often found missing is the tinny stain less steel blade which locks the adjuster ratchit, but to replace it when missing you have to buy the adjuster kit from the dealer only,
last one i bought was around 50 quid

were abouts are you
regards malcolm
Happy
My Cars:

Post by Happy »

citronut wrote:ok you should not adjust the cables up untill you know the shoes are adjusted corectly,

the prob with most self adjusters they just dont work and adjust up in normal use,

so it is necessary every now and then to remove the drums and manualy adjust the shoes, quite often you ight find parts of the adjuster mechanisum missing all together,

to adjust the shoes enough you will need to make sure there is no lip at the outter edge of the shoe contact area of the drum,

to remove the drums you need to undo the hub nut as the drum comes off the stub axle,

the part that i have quite often found missing is the tinny stain less steel blade which locks the adjuster ratchit, but to replace it when missing you have to buy the adjuster kit from the dealer only,
last one i bought was around 50 quid

were abouts are you
regards malcolm
Thank you for the reply. I did see the big nut in the middle of the drum, But never had a socket big enough to get it off, So it looks like a trip to Halfords to get one the right size. I live in North london. Thank you again for your help.