serious problem with brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ricflairandy

serious problem with brakes

Post by ricflairandy »

Hi,
I have a 1.9 tdsx xantia, l reg.
for a few months ive been getting the odd grinding noice coming whenever i brake or drive slow(even when not braking) from the drivers side.
Gradualy it has become so bad that the last few days its grinding even when i am doing around 30-40.
Today it was terrible, and whenever i stopped, and moved off, it was struggling to move, felt like i had the handbrake on, but i didnt.
Now, a few hours ago, i left work and the grinding has gone, but my brakes are totally useless, taking more than double the distance to stop than it was. And somehow all of my hydrlic fluid has gone(it was full when i parked my car earlier).
Any ideas anyone?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My goodness [:0]
Did you notice the large red STOP lamp on your instrument panel ?
Do you think this warning lamp is just a fun gadget ?
How can you drive on with such serious symptoms from the brakes - just taking this as a nuisance - rather than having the car inspected immediately first off ?
I'm dead serious mate [:(!]
This Xantia of yours is DEFINATELY grounded untill the problem is corrected - if you have even the slightest respect for your own & other trafficants life !
<font color="red"><i>I'm truly sorry to be so harsh in my message</i></font id="red"> - but I HAVE to make sure you understand this is dead serious !
Get your Xantia towed to nearest garage ASAP - do NOT drive it !
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Anders is completely right. I'd rather drive my car without a windscreen than have suspect brakes! Object of a vehicle to get from A to B . Not A to B+20metres.
As for your problem, sounds like either a sticking brake pad, or caliper.
The inability to pull away, because the brakes are jammed on.
The sudden change in brake pedal efficiency....caused by boiling the brake fluid through excessive friction/heat in that caliper. This causes a change in the brake fluid and increases the amount of suspended air within the fluid.(Don't ask me how it does it, I don't know!) Air compresses easier than the fluid so braking pressure drops.
Have you recently had the pads changed?? Posibility that the mechanics didn't clean the caliper before installing the new pads. Or the lack of a small quantity of Copperslip? Speculation of course.
To reitterate Anders :
This Xantia of yours is DEFINATELY grounded untill the problem is corrected - if you have even the slightest respect for your own & other trafficants life !
I'm truly sorry to be so harsh in my message - but I HAVE to make sure you understand this is dead serious !
Get your Xantia towed to nearest garage ASAP - do NOT drive it !
ricflairandy

Post by ricflairandy »

stop lamp only came on when i was on my way home last night. I couldnt do anything but drive it home as its a 30 mile motorway journey home. Luckily it was an empty motorway so i could take it really easy. Just taking the car into the garage now.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ricflairandy</i>

stop lamp only came on when i was on my way home last night. I couldnt do anything but drive it home as its a 30 mile motorway journey home. Luckily it was an empty motorway so i could take it really easy. Just taking the car into the garage now.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The STOP lamp came on and you carried on driving? Does STOP not mean desist from moving forwards in your little world?
Driving a car without brakes is not only dangerous for you and other road users, it's also irresponsible. The Police look down on this sort of thing, it tends to result in jail sentences rather than points.