Peugeot 306 Radiator

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JR

Peugeot 306 Radiator

Post by JR »

Hi,
I have just had the radiator replaced on my peugeot 306 1.8 auto 95'. I have noticed that one of the small pipes, which connetcs to the base of the radiator on the passenger side gets hot very quickly and becomes quite hard, where as all the other pipes do not get as hot so quickly and do not become so hard.
Is it posible that the pipe is split? I can not see any coolant escaping, are there any other tests I can try?
Any help greatly appreciated.
cheers, JR
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Its normal for the cooling system hoses to be quite firm, but they shouldnt be rock hard, if this is so suspect head gasket problems or head problems again or a faulty expansion tank cap which is less serious. As to the passenger side hose getting hot quickly, if its like my zx 1.4 the thermostat is on the passenger side of the engine and this always gets hot the quickest due to the thermostat opening and letting hot coolant into the radiator.
If the engine is running at an acceptable temp and your not losing any coolant I wouldnt worry about it. Then again im always worrying about mine but im trying to ignore the little niggles which get on my nerves. aka my motto at the bottom[:D]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Test for leaking head gasket:
Leave your car overnight to cool completely.
Take off radiator cap and replace it (to vent any stored pressure).
Start engine and run for 30 seconds only.
Shut off engine.
Remove radiator cap listening for release of pressure.
Any pressure built up in the short time it's been running won't be from engine heat causing expansion. If there is any, then the head gasket certainly looks suspect.
JR

Post by JR »

Hi,
I tried leaving it over night and then starting for 30secs and there was a little release of pressure. Having said this, the head gasket has just been replaced and the cylinder head skimmed, so do not think this is the problem. I have also had the rad replaced as this was over 5 years old and running hot and also the heat matrix - so you can see I have spent a fair amount of money!
I have noticed there are tiny micro air bubbles at the end of the oil dip stick and the garage assures me this is ok and you will see these when the engine gets hot, is this true?
Finally I still have a problem with the engine temperature, which does not regulate itself. If after driving for 20 mins I stop at a set of traffic lights, the temperature rises quite quickly to 105 and then the cooling fan kicks in. On a hot summers day I could understand this, but when it is -2 outside, it does not make sense. I have completely bled the system, by placing a header tank on top of the rad, so there is no trapped air.
I am begging to wonder if there could be a fault with the engine management system as the engine is on a constant mission to reach 105degress - I have never owned a car where the cooling fan comes on so regularly. Any thoughts as to what other parts of the engine I should investigate?
any help greatly appreciated.
cheers, JR
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Looks like a test of the coolant for contamination from exhaust gases may be in order. I'd be looking critically at the head gasket (again) if it was my car.
Bubble in oil - don't worry, a fair amount of sloshing about goes on in the sump.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

The bubbles in the oil is quite normal and get this on my zx 1.4i and other cars in which I have checked the oil on. Your overheating trouble might that your thermostat needs replacing i.e. its stuck halk closed/open. I would have thought when you had your head gasket done etc, that the garage would have checked this. Failing that it sounds like head gasket or head trouble again.
And I think its time that someone started looking at the cylinder liner heights to ensure that seals at the bottom of the liners havent gone soft, leading to the head gasket leaking. And also checking the block for warping as well.
Ive heard about this occuring on the 1.4 tu diesel which have wetliners like yours, after it overheated badly i.e. the seals at the bottom of the liners going all soft. But then you would expect there to be water contamination of oil and vice versa.
Then again i may be way off.
Regards
Citman
PS Your as a bad as me when comes to worrying about the car. Then again its proberly because im a penny less student and to mechanically minded.