Brief Encounter II - The Sequel

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

fatherjack2002

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Spot on Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice to see the repair i "bottled out on " ready to roll again .....................Baggsy a ride shot-gun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Paul...........................................
1995 Xantia VSX 1.9 TD, RIP
N*ssan Pr*mera . HATING EVERY MILE
1994 Xantia LX 1.9TD, RIP
1997 Xantia desire 2 re-homed
2002 Pugeot 307 HDI (not quite a Xantia, but still French)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I had to! :oops:

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Nice one Adam.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Which is?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

well done chaps :lol:

John
KP

Post by KP »

Congrats Jim :-)

Think it will be firing on all 6 cylinders by the weekend??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: Think it will be firing on all 6 cylinders by the weekend??
Between you and me Will, I hope that not only will it be running on its full complement of cylinders but I hope it'll be moving under its own power and not far off a journey to the MOT station..

I was distraught when I arrived at work this morning to find the reason I needed to be at work on Monday was cancelled :evil: :evil: So I could have had today off after all. Still, all is not lost and I'm planning on having tomorrow and Wednesday off so that I can carry on the work.

I had to look under the bonnet first thing tghis morning to be sure that all the great work yesterday was real and not a dream :)

I engjoyed your caption on the picture Adam :lol:

I was a bit short on detail in my post last evening, being a bit short of time, a bit tired and anxious to say thanks Richard and get some pictures up.

The refit actually went very smoothly. By the time Richard arrived, I had the engine danging off the end of the crane and had refitted the torque convertor flex plate bolts and about to pop the exhaust headers on.

One tricky job was to get the engine, dangling on the end of the crane, in the right place and moving 260Kg of engine over my rough drive is not easy! It's also a tad worrying to see such a lump swinging up in the air supported by a crane right at the limit of it's load capacity :twisted:

One good thing is that when all four engine lifting eyes are used, the engine lifts oup perfectly balanced and with nearly the right tilt at the gearbox end to drop it in the engine bay.

It's tight though, very tight. Basically ebverything that encroaches in on the engine aperture has got to be removed, including the engine mouts complete, the fusebox :twisted: and ABS block. Even then the crank pully has to come off to give another half-inch of needed clearance. On the gearbox side, there's about a 1/4" clearance to play with! Richards "guide and tilt" work was absolutely essential.

As soon as the lump was in, the gearbox mount was attached and then the engine could be brought down on the RH top mount.

One error Richard spotted is that the bottom mount bracket must be fitted before the engine goes in otherwise its bolt hole is obstructed by the rear bank exhausts. To overcome that, we had to undo the top mount and lift the engine up about two inches.

After that, it was just the task of refitting all the bits and pieces. By far the trickies was the exhaust joint. Always difficult but especially so on a V6 :twisted: It's all done now...

So, hopefully, tomorrow should see the car running. Fingers crossed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote:So, hopefully, tomorrow should see the car running. Fingers crossed...
Youtube.... 8)

Would have loved to lend a pound on the crane, but I doubt if "I'm just popping 300 miles down to MK to help put an engine back in" would have gone down very well....!

Are you just going to sneak the matrix in in-between tea breaks then???
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

Jim I remember that bottom mount on mine, what a pain to get everything lined up and that in too... took me awhile :O

looking forward to it running :D

can't believe you still have a matrix to do afterwards!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

:D :D :D :D

Proper Job lads!!!

I'm wearing a beaming smile at the moment...I probably should wait until it fires up first, Im sure it will :wink:
I second the YouTube video, you could make use of the French Car Forum YouTube channel as a video hasn't been uploaded in a while :oops:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly I have no means of doing a Youtube Video but it's a lovely idea though. I'll have to see if my other digital camera will do a short video. I confess to poorly understand the video side of things. It's as much as I can do just taking still photos :roll:
jgra1 wrote:can't believe you still have a matrix to do afterwards!
Oh yes, that's a good point John :) Still, the one saving grace is that a heater matrix job in a V6 is actually a little easier than in any of the turbocharged Xantias as there is good access to the matrix connector :)

Before that though, I need to put the new front discs and pads on, sort the leak from the rear hydractive block and give the car a good check-over ready for an MOT.

That's all assuming the gearbox now works... Reckon there's a good chance I'll know very soon now....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince

Post by vince »

I tell you what Jim, ive got to take my hat off to you.... Thats one hell of an achievement 8)

Im sure it will fire up no problem :) .....there might be a few nips and tucks to do once running but the hard work i think is definately done.... :) Well Done, i can think of many mechanics who wouldnt be able to do that.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Koukku

Post by Koukku »

Hats off here too. It has been interesting read, and it's great to see that huge lump of an engine back in where it belongs to. :)

BTW, you mentioned that it weighs 260kg. I guess that is with the tranny? Any idea how much the engine alone weighs?
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

hi Koukku, I can answer this as I weighed mine :)

about 180 for the engine and 80 for the tranny :D

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

She lives! She lives!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

More later....
Jim