Brief Encounter II - The Sequel

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Ideal Jim!
*fingers and various other body parts crossed* I really am hoping it does work for you after all that PERCY WAT SIT.

Im looking forward to be given a spin in it (no doubt with a car full of other FCF V6 fans) :wink: :lol: :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

great Jim :D

I feel I should be helping put her back in .. a bit snowed under with the projects :(

going to be a nice weekend for your job though.. will see how things go

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Kev,

I'm running very short on stocks of PERCY WHAT SIT after this job, I can tell you. I must see if GSF have any in available...

I have rather a lot of anatomy crossed too. It's nailbitingly tense right now as there was/is no way to test anything until it is fully back together.

I'll be trembling like a jelly when I first go to turn the key :roll:
jgra1 wrote: I feel I should be helping put her back in ..
No worries at all John :) I appreciate it greatly you helped me with the difficult job of removing the engine! DickieG is coming up on Sunday for the refit.

I realise I stripped too much off the engine to remove it although in my defence, I removed a lot of the ancillaries in the forlorn hope that I could take the gearbox off and leave the engine in place. In the event, it was a blessing the engine had to come out or I'd never have discovered the colling system full of something horrible or that the alternator was full of LHM! Also, everything has had a good inspection, a clean and where necessary, an overhaul.

It took longer to put the final minor ancillaries back on the engine than doing the big jobs. I replaced the thermostat and also it's seal that looks like a two-lipped oil seal that lives deep in the housing. The old seal needed to be gently cold-chiseled out (very small cold chisel) and the new seal pressed in. As the seal is in the bottom of the housing, there's not a lot of space to work. I also replaced the O rings on the thermostat housing and the small O ring on the water supply pipe from the expansion bottle.

I can't help feeling theat changing the thermostat in-situ is not a pleasant job. It wasn't exactly easy with the engine out.

All the coolant pipes are back on but I've not yet connected the transmission cooler as I want to thoroughly flush the block and pipes outdoors just before the engine drops back in and in doing this I don't want to risk any crud that may still flush out get anywhere near the transmission cooler.

The Pressure Regulator is all on and piped up ready to go. I also have a brand-new accumulator sphere to fit as a last job as the accumulator is not exactly fantastically accessible.

I also replaced the throttle body and used a new gasket on it. I bought a new gasket but had to buy 10 to get one so anyone who wants a V6 throttle body gasket, I can supply as I still have 9 of them!!!

At the end of the job last night I marvelled at just how complete the engine and gearbox is when it is ready for fitting. It'll almost be like dropping in a cassette :D When Citroen describle the assembly as a power unit they're not far off...

I must remember that the flex plate bolts are not yet fitted as I can't get to the flex-plate until the engine is up in the air on the hoist.

I must also remember the engine is currently dry of oil. What a shame it would be if in my enthusiasm I fired up the engine with no oil. That would really ruin my day.

This evening I shall look at the best way of refitting the exhaust headers to the manifolds. The joints are made by the most evil spring clips you've ever seen :twisted: They're like over-grown EGR valve clips but with springs inspired by Arkwright's till :twisted:

The fabrication of a special tool may be on the cards...

Here's another view of the complete power unit..

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Fantastic stuff Jim, I’ve really enjoyed reading this blog, good luck with the re-fitting and subsequent testing. :)
so anyone who wants a V6 throttle body gasket, I can supply as I still have 9 of them!!!
I will be interested in one of these in the near future as, I had an air leak arround the throttle body as the gasket is very old, and would not seal, used some silicon instant gasket (very sparingly) as a temp fix. Solved the issue for the short term, I’m planning on chaining the spark plugs later this year, so makes sense to do a proper job, don’t suppose you have any gaskets for the intake manifold, as it looks like that would have to come off to access the rear 3 plugs. :evil:

I look forward to the next blog installment, hopefully of you waxing lyrical about driving your Xantia V6 :wink:
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased you're enjoying the blog Sid :D Send me a PM with your address and I'll pop one of those throttle body gaskets in the post for you :wink:

The inlet manifold does need to come off to get at the plugs in the rear bank and it's easy enough. There's no need to remove the throttle body to do this but you do need to disconnect the MAP sensor connector and the fuel regulator sense pipe from the RH end of the manifold. Also, you will find it helps to loosen the lower studs in the two rear lifting eye brackets to assist the removal of the two studs that bolt the rear of the manifold to the lifting eye brackets.

You may find the inlet manifold gasket a bit sad and it's a good idea to replace it. Dealer only sadly, under part no. 0348 K7. I reckon, whith care, a gasket should last a couple of plug changes. To lift the rear bank plug lead assenbly, you'll also need to loosen the bracket that supports the wiring loom that run across the RH end of the rear bank.

Blow any debris out of the plug wells with an air-line and if the plugs are tight, loosen then half a turn and spray Plus-Gas down around them and leave for a few hours. Blow any excess Plus-Gas away with an air line and then wipe the wells with a soft rag to remove any remaining muck. You'll be amazed at how deeply recessed the plugs are and a proper deep plug socket with a rubber gripper in the top of it is absolutely essential. Plugs are the same as used in any other petrol Xantia and available very reasonably from GSF.

I looked at the exhaust header clip problem this evening. This is the offending clip...

I tried a normal pair of circlip pliers on it but they just succeeded in twisting the clip rather than opening it up as the taper points did not make flat contact with the faces of the clip. I then thought about it and came up with the idea of making a couple of pads out of aluminium blocks that would slip over the ends of the prongs of the circlip pliers. I came up with this:

This is the tool in action:

Works like a dream :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Good to see its coming together nicely Jim, and good luck for the weekend!!, not that you will need it though im sure :wink: :D

Also, that exhaust header........you could just put a standard split exhaust clamp on it, but im not sure which of the two would be easyier to do up with the engine in though........................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

nice simple tool Jim, :D my threaded bar took a while to seperate the pesky thing!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I'd be all for whizzing the garden hose through that tranny cooler, just to make sure it has fairly unobstructed flow.

Good work on it all, though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I'd be all for whizzing the garden hose through that tranny cooler, just to make sure it has fairly unobstructed flow.
I replaced the cooler Adam and flushed the new one :D

Firstly I must say a huge thank you Richard (DickieG) for all your sterling spannering and help today. The engine is now in and very little work is left before the finges get crossed in earnest and the key is turned. Just the radiator left to fit along with some small items, not forgetting coolant and oil and then we'll know if the car does actually live :roll:

Here's a few pictures of the moemntous occasion.

Richard beginning the careful guide of the engine home.

A bit further in!

It's a tight fit :lol: I wondered if it was actually necessary to remove the engine mounts complete, the fuse box and ABS block but it surely was. To get the engine this far, the crank pulley had to come off :o

Getting close now :D

Nearly done!

And one very happy Citrojim :wink:

A brilliant days' work and Richard, you're an absolute star :D
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Excellent work Jim and Richard looks like a day well spent :D :D

Dont worry Jim we will all have fingers crossed waiting for the first key turn :) :)

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Nice going boys! That is certainly a very tight fit Jim.
Hoping it fires up nicely and behaves itself for you.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

It was a very enjoyable, productive day (helped along by a couple of excellent Bacon rolls made by Val) and so good to push the project that little bit further towards completion, as Jim states its now just a few hours away from the nervous moment of turning the ignition key [-o<

BTW Jim I spotted your Activa on the way home (I drove straight past it on the way there without noticing) well its not easy to recognize one of your previous cars especially when its red :roll: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Does look like a snug fit in there :lol: and the weather was on your side too,
Good luck for the big day Jim.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Pah, looks like Richard was doing all the hard lifting work what did you need an engine crane for :lol:

Nice work chaps, be interesting to see it all working!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

This is so good to see! Congrats everyone involved.
I think Jim's expression says it all \:D/