How do I use a Seem belt tension gauge?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

How do I use a Seem belt tension gauge?

Post by DickieG »

I've finally managed to buy a Seem 105.5 belt tension gauge to accurately set the tension of timing belts but I'm not entirely sure how to set it up so that it reads accurately as when the tool is fitted to the belt the knurled knob can be tightened to achieve any amount of tension or "Seems".

When fitting it to the belt I know it needs to be placed on the longest length of belt but how tight do I turn the knurled knob when setting it up?

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

When you fit it to the belt you turn the knureled knob clockwise till it clicks, it can only tighten up so much. you then adjust the belt tensioner till you get the correct reading on the gauge.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi DG

My question is where did you get it from, and was it a stupid amount of money? i would be rather tempted myself by one of these to cut out the guess work when doing cam belts.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

...how tight do I turn the knurled knob when setting it up?
As Malcolm (citronut) would no doubt say - when it "Seems" right. :wink:

Do they use a transducer or mechanical means (spring arm and potentiometer) to measure the tension?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Ah thanks for that Wheeler you are a star :D

I had been having a play but hadn't tightened the knob far enough to make it click, what didn't help is that I was experimenting using an auxiliary belt (much stiffer than a timing belt) but now I've managed to find an old timing belt to use it all makes sense now.

Dean,

I've been looking for one for some time now as I thought it will be more accurate than using a purely mechanical tool, I bought it via eBay having missed out on a couple of them last year, the going rate for one appears to be around £90 - £120. As a comparison a new mechanical gauge is around £60 and a new electronic gauge around £300. Not cheap but cheaper than getting a belt fitted incorrectly. It will be interesting to see how accurately I've fitted the belts on my cars when I check them with my new toy, I'll post up the results of that when I have them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:Do they use a transducer or mechanical means (spring arm and potentiometer) to measure the tension?
As far as I'm aware it uses a transducer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote

"As Malcolm (citronut) would no doubt say - when it "Seems" right."

it Seems i can not add any thing to that,

Richard
keep tightening the knob sorry (knureled knob ) till it feels comftable or it relives the tensionTEA HE

regards malcolm
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

Oh dear, another toy to fill the garage. If you need to try it out just let me know.....I know a car that might need a new belt. :roll:

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Years (decades!) ago I was told by a mechanic at the Dealer Opel Team, then in Yorkshire, that he set the belts on the rallying Opels by adjusting the tension until he could just turn the idler pulley wheel. I've used that piece of advice since then on Vauxhall, Montego and now Citroen.

I recently changed the belt on the Xsara at 154,000 miles. As we got the car at some 80,000 miles I can't be certain that it's the original belt but I suspect it was :!:

What surprised me when I took the old belt off was how slack it was. The pulley was really easy to rotate; far, far looser than I would have liked and yet the teeth on the belt didn't show undue chafing.

A mechanic friend of mine sets the belt tension a different way. He tests the tension by twisting the belt (presumably at the top where the Seem gauge goes) and seeing whether he can twist it through 90 degrees. I tried that but couldn't get it as accurately as the pulley method.

Having said that, I would be veeeeery interested to put a Seem gauge on my belt now.

What techniques do the other Seemlees use to set the tension?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Speaking of unSeemly behaviour, I use the "can barely twist it 45° between thumb and forefinger of dominant hand, on the longest interval" method of assessment. That's after at least four crank revolutions to make sure everything's centred and equalised. Then another four turns, and check the alignment pins again.

Regards, Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Paul_R wrote

"and seeing whether he can twist it through 90 degrees."

this should be done at the longest straight run of belt (turn belt 1/4 of a turn) (from pimp to crank usualy), the top run between pump and car should be quite tight

regards malcolm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Dean,

I've been looking for one for some time now as I thought it will be more accurate than using a purely mechanical tool, I bought it via eBay having missed out on a couple of them last year, the going rate for one appears to be around £90 - £120. As a comparison a new mechanical gauge is around £60 and a new electronic gauge around £300. Not cheap but cheaper than getting a belt fitted incorrectly. It will be interesting to see how accurately I've fitted the belts on my cars when I check them with my new toy, I'll post up the results of that when I have them.
Thanks for that, i will keep an eye out for one now, look forward to seeing your results too.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

'Seems' like a handy tool to have in your box :-#

I used the 90 degree twist along the top run on my HDI engine - but would like to have a more accurate tension measuring method.

According to the BOL an initial and final tension of 98 and 54 Seems respectively are suggested. Are there any other fairly well respected and easier / cheaper to obtain tension meters for that range that anyone could recommend?
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
exect

Post by exect »

Hi,
http://www.306gti6.com/downloads/serviceguide.pdf
The above seems to give a good idea how to use it.
Regards
Exect
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

XantiaExclusiveHDI wrote

"Seems' like a handy tool to have in your box"

what box are we talking here TE HE

regards malcolm