205 XS - Very Wierd Squeeling Noise

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kano

205 XS - Very Wierd Squeeling Noise

Post by Kano »

Help! I've got a strange squeeling noise coming from my '89 205 XS. It's not very high pitched, and it is fairly loud. The noise is intermittent, it takes about 5 miles driving under 40mph or about 400 yards above 50 for it to start, then it only starts when I ease off the accelerator. When I accelerate it stops the noise. I thing it's coming from the driveshaft area, it seems quite central, or maybe slightly to the n/s.
Originally I thought it was the n/s driveshaft, so I had it changed. I don't think it's the n/s wheel bearing as there is no play in the wheel on inspection.. Could it be the intermediate bearing or something in the differential? It also makes some nasty knocking noises occasionally too, the guy from the garage said that was the engine mounts.
Any help would be brilliant! I've completely run out of ideas. The local Pug garage want to charge me £45 to put another hub on to see if it's the wheel bearing..!
Thanks in advance!
jackherer
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 205 GTI Mi16
208 GTI Prestige
C4 VTS 180

Post by jackherer »

205 wheel bearings often fail and make noise yet have no play.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

£45 sounds reasonable to fit a hub.
*But* as they seem to be guessing at the fault, let them do it at their risk.
BEFORE they do the work, tell them you won't pay a penny (nothing for parts, no labour) if it doesn't make a difference. If it fixes the problem, smile sweetly and pay up, thanking them for their accurate diagnosis. If it doesn't work, they've lost money and perhaps they'll be a bit more careful in making wild guesses.
Anyone can fix a car by replacing everything, especially when someone else is paying!
Kano

Post by Kano »

The £45 was for labour only, if the problem was fixed they'd then charge me another £35 for the new hub.. If the problem isn't fixed with the different hub then it was just a 1-1 swap of OK hubs, so there wouldn't be a further charge. And it was pretty much a guess too.
Anyway, doesn't really matter now as I've just put paid £9250 for a 2000(V) Celica with sports pack, 58k miles and in mint condition!! All I need to do it work out what I'm going to do with a knackard 205 before the end of the month when the road tax runs out.
Anybody want it for £200???? [:D]
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

I had a similar problem with an '88 205 XE. Turned out to be an iffy intermediate bearing on the driveshaft.
Try spraying it with WD40 and see if the problem goes away temporarily. It's located on the back of the engine block iirc.
Kano

Post by Kano »

I've tried blasting the intermediate bearing with silicone spray, didn't even temporarily cure the squeal. Might try blasting the wheel bearing area to see if that does anything.
It's definately some sort of bearing that is causing the problem, all I have to do it figure out which one! [:D]
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

Kano,
Did you get the problem sorted on the 205?
I've a mate with the same symptons so knowing what caused yours would be a godd starting point,
cheers,
mipster
Kano

Post by Kano »

No, didn't get it sorted. But if I was a gambling man I'd suspect the n/s wheel bearing is duff. I think it's linked to heat as I can drive for a while pretty slowly before there's any hint of a problem, but as soon as I hit 60mph it starts up. Then if it's left for 5 mins I can drive on at low speed for a few more miles..
It's one of those tricky problems where is's difficult to diagnose, you can only swap things out until you find a solution. [xx(]
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

To tidy up tyhis thread[;)]
The problem with my mates car turned out to be the driveshaft.
mipster