Circuit logic and LED indicators

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Circuit logic and LED indicators

Post by MikeT »

I have a circuit that is switched at both ends - i.e One on the positive side and one on the negative side. Is it possible (I'm sure it is but I can't get my head roud it) to have one LED show when the positive switch is on but the negative switch off and then a second LED to show when both are on?
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I'm pretty sure it is possible, but it has been a long time since I did any electronics.

You should be able to wire an LED across each switch indepdantly so that they will show when that particular switch is closed. For the negative this should be a case of wire the LED in parrallel to what the switch is controlling someting like this:

+ _____/ _______ GRD
...................|
...................LED_____GRD

For the positive switch however you may need to be a bit more clever, the simplest solution which comes to mind would be a double pole single throw switch, where one pole control the circuit you have the two switches on and the second is an indepent circuit just for the indication LED. Will try to draw you a schematic when I finish work, haven't quite got time in my lunch break.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

As promised a rough circuit diagram, unfortunately I only have paint available at the moment so it is a bit crude.

Point A is the Double pole single throw switch I mentioned, (your +ve side switch) basically this allow one switch to control two circuits, I drawn it with a common +ve feed but the second circuit can be totally separate in everything bar the switch.

Point B is then your second switch (the -ve side) wired as I said in the last post.

Hope this helps.

Think I might to go and find a proper electronic diagramming tool though.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Cheers Owen, I knew it'd be a simple deal, just not simple enough for me to imagine :oops:

In my diagram I put the second LED on the wrong side of the negative switch and didn't realise that would complete the circuit on both LEDS even with both switches off! :oops:

I was going to prototype and test my circuit but I think I'll skip that idea and use yours instead :lol: