Transmission judder at high speed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-gog
My Cars:

Transmission judder at high speed

Post by the-gog »

Hello all,
Having solved my alternator problem (faulty voltage regulator), another problem has surfaced on my 205 diesel. At roughly the same time as getting my alternator seen to (some three weeks ago I think), I had the oil changed in the manual gearbox. The nearside driveshaft had been leaking oil since a little while, so it was sealed up, and now doesn't leak.
The problem I now get - 40 miles after having the gearbox seen to - is that at 75mph and above (the speedo is badly inaccurate) I get a judder from the transmission somewhere. This never happened while the gearbox had oil in, nor when it started to develop a leak. The garage concerned also managed to sever the low pad wear sensor cable on the nearside wheel by not disconnecting it; their philosophy seemed to be 'rip it apart' rather than one of 'dismantle'. How confident can I be that the judder is caused by bad workmanship? I've had the car nearly a year now, and it's only in the last fortnight that it's started this problem.
Richard.
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

hi there just some points from no expert.
I think most garages do bad work basicaly because its not their car thats why I'd prefer to do it myself if I possibly can. If it takes me all weekend to do an hour job I konw I'll make sure I do it by the book. I'm sure they cut corners to save time.
as far as the wear indicators both mine were cut on mine when bought, fixed now, no difference either way I daubt they work realy best to have a look at the pads. You sould have bendix brakes which are easy to check.
My 205D also vibrates at 75 mark which in a way is good as it stops me speeding I think mine is possibly due to front wheels needing balancing (don't think so) or lower engine mount which has gone soft hence not damping higher vibration at speed.
If gear oil is leaking check its level. Haynes manual explains how (you can get them at your local library save buying it) you'll need Pug Diesel engine or Citroen D engine, same. If not its passenger side wheel arch, remove black plasic cover if still on, on end of gearbox top right large plug is level plug, unscrew, oil should be just at point of pouring out of hole, if its lower refill as this will cause gear box noise if low. Use sae 75w/80w gear oil.
may help.
----
the-gog
My Cars:

Post by the-gog »

This garage has done a lot of work on this car for me, and so far faultless. Hence why I'm more than a bit annoyed that something's gone wrong courtesy of them. I've had bad experiences of garages in the past, and as a result I've tried to do as much repairs and services myself.
Gearbox isn't leaking at all now - thankfully. As for the judder, I'll have to live with it, but they know I've a 600-mile round-trip to Cornwall and back in a week's time, but don't seem concerned about getting the car seen to before I go away. I may just book it in at another garage and forward the invoice to the first lot.
Thanks,
R.
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Even if its not leaking anymore they may have forgot to top up the level after the repair. That said it could be something else and I'd be interested to hear how you fix it in the end.
hope all goes well
----
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

you do not have a out of balance drive shaft do you?
At low speeds drive shafts do not make a lot of differance, but at high speeds if one of the shafts is out of balance then it would viberate like mad.
If you have knocked it hard (by mistake) it could be out of balance, it should be noted that this may also cause an oil leak from the diff or gearbox ! changing the oil seal will stop that FOR A WHILE then the movement in the shaft will damage the seal again.
raytriplej

Post by raytriplej »

Have you tried getting your front wheels balanced or checked for irregularities? I bought a 205 today that had a high speed shudder, the poor thing nearly shook me off the M4! But having had a similar problem with my wife's renault I went straight to my local tyre shop and £40 pounds later the problem was solved.
Good luck,
ray
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Hello gog, Could well be balancing you need. My 205 D 125K miles also juddered badly at 65ish up.
Front tires the same, back are new (but back doesn't cause much problems really)
What I did was use Motorlube oil additive cost 15ish and works like
slick 50 but you don't have to change oil after Motolube as its polymer(plastic) based. At high enough temp it starts to coat metal parts in engine with a film which stops metal to metal contact. Helps protect engine ect. all explained at http://www.motorlube.co.uk .
Anyway after putting it in I've found it does bit over 80 and doesn't seem to vibtate as much at 65 70. Must be due to just less engine friction as the coating is a bit like the teflon coating on pans.
No garauntee but I'm sure it's had a positive effect and I'll use more again.
----