Fuel leak on 1.9 d Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Fuel leak on 1.9 d Xantia

Post by admiral51 »

Hi All
Have discovered a fuel leak on my 1.9d
Its is leaking from the fuel return pipe where it joins on the bulkhead.Is it just a case of the rubber pipe sitting over a connecting pipe and if so will a simple jubilee clip fix the problem

I have been able to prime the fuel pump and watch the fuel leaking from the return pipe
The return line is the pipe on the left

All help gratefully accepted :) :)

Colin
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its usually due to the rubber hardening and fracturing, if its near enough the end just cut off the brittle section and push back over the metel pipe. There shouldn't be much pressure there so if the rest of the pipe is in good condition just pushing it on should suffice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's precisely what happened to my 1.9TD Colin. I replaced the pipe all the way from the pump to the joint below the rubber mounting block. It'll be impossible to free the old pipe from the rubber block so cut the old one off flush and secure the new pipe with strategically placed cable-ties.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Peter and Jim :) :)

Have not been able to find the part number or diagram on Citroen Service site so am a little unsure of the exact fixing layout :oops: :oops:

Does the rubber pipe go through the mounting block or is it the metal fuel/join pipe that runs through the mounting block :? :?

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, the joint is under the block Colin. Imagine the rubber pipe carrying on through the block for say an inch and at the end, you'll find a coupler in the end of the pipe. Remove the spring clip around the pipe and give the pipe a sharp tug and the coupler will come out. The new new pipe can be Jubilee-clipped onto the exposed end of the coupler.

If I recall correctly, there is a little more rubber pipe south of the coupler before it joins onto the metal fuel pipe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Jim
Have now had another look and it all makes sense :D :D

Looks like its going to be a new pipe as looking at other end that is also a bit brittle :lol: :lol:

Another visit to the stealers tomorrow then :) :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote: Another visit to the stealers tomorrow then :) :)
No need to go to the Stealers Colin, just get yourself a metre of 5/16" (8mm) fuel hose from a factor. That'll do fine as the Stealer will want to sell you the supply and return pipe assembly complete.
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Ahh thats handy :) :)

I have some clear pipe left over from what i used on the TD to sort out the air getting in to the pump.

Reckon this should do the job :D :D

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

All sorted and leak free :) :)

Not much room to work in on the 1.9D cant guess how you managed with the TD Jim :twisted: :twisted:

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote: Not much room to work in on the 1.9D cant guess how you managed with the TD Jim :twisted: :twisted:
Well, lets just say I discovered that diesel is not in the same league as LHM as a hair conditioner :twisted: :twisted: I had to have a shower and wash my overalls afterward :roll:

As the BoL might say, on the TD, "access is poor" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim