Bringing Xantia Back From Dead

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
After a few faults with Fart Punto, I have decided to get my finger out and get the work done on the Xant. First up is heater plugs, then alternator belt & tensioner and cambelt. Then a brake bleed, followed by a radiator.
The heater plugs will be the easiset, as I have a small cranked ring spanner, which is perfect. Why don't Beru supply new nuts to hold the heater plug cable?
Will let you know how it goes on
Greg
Ps. Clutch is on way out too, but will farm that job out--my back won't let me do that .

PSS. Anyone know anything about Fiat electric powder clutches ? Apart from the fact that they cost about £600-£800 at 2006 prices. So Citroens aren't that expensive, lol :shock:

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Bringing Xantia Back From Dead

Post by CitroJim »

All the best with the Xantia Greg :D Shame you have to farm out the clutch :(
Gregg1100 wrote:Anyone know anything about Fiat electric powder clutches ?
:D

What on earth is one of those? Sounds infinitely worse than even a Xantia pull clutch!

Is the Punto Selecta some sort of semi-auto thing then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Jim,
Having done a clutch on my 16v Vsx Xant and one on a Bx 19 TZS, only my head says I can do it, - my body says sod off. At nearly 63, I find all this work on cars just a little bit tiresome. Even all the other jobs will be a chore now--I served an apprenticeship on car mechanics back in the 60's-1963 to 1968.
I can do all the removey stuff like drive shafts and wheels etc, and even get the cogbox out myself, but to hold it up to align those stupid forks into the release bearing is now beyond me. You know my thoughts about this type of clutch, I will never accept the method as sensible.
Electric powder clutches--another story.
On this Punto Selecta, there is an ordinary(?) gearbox with electronics serving the selection of gears. Basically when forward or reverse is selected, and the throttle pushed down, a current is fed to the clutch which sends electric currents into the powder, which makes it act like clutch springs releasing and taking up the engine power to move car.
When ticking over, there is no current to clutch, so no drive ( ordinary clutch depressed ).
On my Punto, there is a microswitch at top of throttle pedal which tells the auto box/ clutch unit if there enough revs to make car move. As throttle pedal starts to go down, it opens a circuit which tells clutch to electrolise powder( basically making it grip clutch plate) and off you go. Come to tickover again, micro switch off, no current, no drive.
My throttle microswitch has been dodgy--new one no better-----what next I ask myself. That is why increased activity on Xantia - in case Punto goes tits up.

Haha--and you lot thought Cits were a bit iffy, lol.

Once in Drive, car is brilliant, as is when in reverse. Must be some other fault which makes the clutch think it has to engage, so making actually selecting D or R a crunchy subject/
Greg
I must say that this Fart Punto is the ony car that I have ever owned ( well over 40 ) where EVERYTHING on the car has worked. SX model, so has lecky windows, PAS , etc.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Has your Punto an electric power steering system?
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

No Steve, normal type-oil and pump.
If I didn't tow a caravan, a Punto would suit me---relatively cheap parts, easy to get at things- pity about the thin panelling.
Greg

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've never had much to do with Puntos but the Cinquecento appears to be a very good car indeed. Everything a small car should be, and well built too.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.