50mph limit for rural roads

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Are you in favour of this proposal?

Aye
4%
Naye
96%

Total votes: 27

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The speed limit on single carriageway rural roads is to be cut from 60mph to 50mph under government plans announced yesterday.

The lower limit is to be enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras capable of catching motorcycles. It could be imposed by next year.

Roads minister Jim Fitzpatrick said the move was needed to cut the death rate on rural roads, where seven out of 10 car crash fatalities occurred in 2007.

The 50mph limit will be proposed in a consultation to be published this summer.

This petition opposes the motion

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Yet another excuse to make money! This makes my blood boil!

What people need to realise is that the majority of speed limits were set when cars had cable operated drum brakes! Cars have moved on beyond recognition since then. "It's 30 for a reason" The reason being it brings in more revenue, this is just another example of that, using the excuse of 'safety'

It's not speed limits that need decreasing it's drivers needing educating.

I see it daily, road users that I honestly do not know how they obtained a licence and doing stupid things in general. There are a lot of rural roads in the New Forest area, and I feel more than comfortable doing 60mph. It is not solely about lowering speed, its about adapting to the conditions appropriately.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Most cars I get stuck behind on rural roads are sat at 40mph anyway, that is until they enter a 30 or 40 zone, then they speed up to 45mph!
Perhaps if they spent some of the tax motorists get robbed for on improving roads and reducing the scarily high number of "fatal" class roads, then maybe they'd actually save more lives.
Of course in reality, who cares about saving lives other than to use it as an excuse to rake in more money?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:Most cars I get stuck behind on rural roads are sat at 40mph anyway, that is until they enter a 30 or 40 zone, then they speed up to 45mph!
This seems to be universally true and defies all logic.

Wasn't there a suggestion that all cars be fitted with a GPS responder so speeds could be monitored any time, any place?
Sounds wonderful :(
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Toby_HDi wrote: It's not speed limits that need decreasing it's drivers needing educating.

I see it daily, road users that I honestly do not know how they obtained a licence and doing stupid things in general. There are a lot of rural roads in the New Forest area, and I feel more than comfortable doing 60mph. It is not solely about lowering speed, its about adapting to the conditions appropriately.
My opinions exactly, get to the root of the problem rather than all this faffing about. Again its all about money :twisted:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

We've had 80kmh roads here since the change from mph a couple of years ago. Roads which were perfectly safe to do 60mph on one day were reduced to 50mph/80kmh overnight for no reason.

Except maybe to raise a few quid in fines to pay for the new kmh speed limit signs? :roll:

True what Xac says about the 'constant 40mph' crowd... :D
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So, that's a 100% vote so for for those against :)

We could all see this coming right from the appearance of the very first SPECS camera. What a great way of upping revenue but what do they spend it on? Not on the roads around these parts, that's for sure :evil:

Our roads are distinctly third-world after the recent frosts and some roads are now just potholes held together with bits of tarmac. They're dangerous as so many swerve to avoid the deep holes.

Bet our local suspension and tyre people are rubbing their hands in glee :evil:

Needless to say, there's been no obvious attempt to get them repaired.

Still, the state of the roads brings on a self-imposed speed limit making any cameras rather redundant.

Makes one glad of the Xantia suspension :D

I'm dead against any form of speed camera except those operated by real Policemen who can exercise discretion and rational thought and look out for those driving dangerously but are not necessarily breaking any speed limit. You don't have to speed to be dangerous.

One type of camera I'm all in favour of is the ANPR set up to nick those running without the basic legal requirements of MOT, Tax and Insurance. Nick 'em all and then crush their cars on the spot. My view is the more ANPR, the better.

Perhaps the legions of Gatsos, Truvelos and SPECS can all be modified to become ANPR cameras and it's likely they'll make more money from the illegal vehicles than they would speeders as well as having far more public support.

Then, all they need to do is to spend all the money on the roads but you just know that'll never happen. :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What a horrible proposal. The informal speed limit in rural areas I frequent is 130km/h, posted is 100. You would be unlucky to get nicked at less than ten over the posted limit.

Fortunately, traffic volumes wouldn't justify a fixed camera and the resources for mobile units are not there.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

CitroJim wrote:..I'm dead against any form of speed camera except those operated by real Policemen who can exercise discretion and rational thought and look out for those driving dangerously but are not necessarily breaking any speed limit. You don't have to speed to be dangerous...
I completely agree with that and with all you have said Jim. However, I feel that most policemen these days are losing touch with common sense.

One example I saw yesterday was I wqas out on a delivery and towards Verwood it is a single carriageway with a 50mph limit (always used to be 60mph, seems they've started it already on the sly)

As you enter the outskirts of Verwood the limit drops to 30mph all of a sudden, yes you should see the signs but not long after the limit change I see a mini portable camera sat on the side of the road, easily missed. As I passed it I then discovered police sat in the van which was parked right in amongst trees and all but out of sight until you were literally on top of them...

To me that just reeks of crafty revenue making and nothing to do with safety
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As we have more speed cameras CCTV etc than anywhere else in Europe, this is just what we don't want even more speed cameras, so yes they will generate more money from this "taxing" the motorist yet again, and the problems with the accident rate are to do with motorists ignorance, lack of ability, and common sense, not just the speed.

Apparently the Dutch have a new camera, so with the "revenue" (sic) that the authorities get from their old cameras, will give them more funds to buy this............

So not only will we get more Specs, we will get this monster! :evil:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Although approached from its blind side with enough tyres to stack up hoopla style on it, is bound to be a trick some will use to "attend to it!"
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

..££££££..$$$$$$$ Piggy Banks...

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take a look at thisreport on the contracts they have on cameras in America, & look at the $$$$ connected into the contract!

Do they have the same type of tied in manufacturer contracts here?
ACTIVA

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The amount of money spent on these hideous devices would be far better spent in making the roads intrinsically safer and better suited to their purpose. That'll be far more effective in reducing accidents.

In my opinion, many roads have now become dangerous simply because of all the devices installed to so-called calm them.

It strikes me they must need to nick a lot of motorists to recoup the capital outlay and running costs of these devices.

Another thing. If we tried to erect a monstrosity like that in our front gardens I'm sure the authorities would be down on us like a ton of bricks so how can they get away with these blots on the landscape? They've not gone out of their way to make them attractive :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Toby_HDi wrote: One example I saw yesterday was I wqas out on a delivery and towards Verwood it is a single carriageway with a 50mph limit (always used to be 60mph, seems they've started it already on the sly)
I don't know what you drive when you're delivering but if it's a van with over 2000kg maximum GVW it's already subject to a 50mph limit on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways. A lot of van driver have been caught out by that.

I drive a lot for work and often I have no idea what the limit is, especially on semi-urban roads. There are so many road signs now that you can't possibly take them all in and watch the road properly.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

reblack68 wrote:I don't know what you drive when you're delivering but if it's a van with over 2000kg maximum GVW it's already subject to a 50mph limit on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways. A lot of van driver have been caught out by that.
Indeed they have, thankfully I am aware of this fact. I drive a Mercedes Sprinter with 3500kg GVW
reblack68 wrote:I drive a lot for work and often I have no idea what the limit is, especially on semi-urban roads. There are so many road signs now that you can't possibly take them all in and watch the road properly.
Again, I agree, there are far too many road signs and quite often they are pointless
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa