605 ABS

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lloydis
My Cars:

605 ABS

Post by lloydis »

My park,brake,stop and suspension lights come on after i have driven plus minus forty miles.Thereafter i can drive for plus minus 10 miles then my brakes seize.I can drive the car again once it has cooled down(1 hour)...although i go through the same chain of events[V]My mechanic has told me he does not suspect the ABS control unit,but that something could be faulty with the ABS management system![xx(]Has anyone experienced something similar?[?]Thanks[^]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Have you considered a simple mechanical problem? When the lights first come on, are any of the wheels hotter than the others? When the brakes sieze what are the symptoms? If you release the vacuum in the servo (pop the one way valve out) do the brakes release?
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

thanx for replying arry,not too clued up on brakes although have done them in the past.where would the one way valve be located?Should that be the problem would that mean a new servo?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Usually, its located on the servo body. There will be a pipe running from the inlet manifold to supply vacuum to the servo. The valve is usually a round plastic moulding pushed into a rubber grommet in the front wall (as you look at it) of the servo.
I had the same symptoms once on an old TR7 when the servo was not releasing properly, but I also worked on a Vauxhall that behaved similarly because one of the calipers was jamming.
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

thanx arry,will try that....bloody rain!!!Suppose we need it,eh!garage is too small...maybe i should buy a Morris
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Good luck, I hope it is something simple rather than some anonymous electrical part. I know what you mean about getting a big car like the 605 into a garage. My old XM could JUST fit into my garage, but then I couldn't get out of the car unless I climbed out of the tailgate. And then I couldn't squeeze past the car to get to the underbonnet area!
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

Hi arry...well the peugeot dealers in my area charged me 35 squid for a diagnostic test although they couldn't give me a result,they say that my ECU is faulty and does not communicate with their dianostic tester.Plonkers...I want my money back....but who else can do a test for me?Cheers Lloydis
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Just found this on the net - sounds cheap (free) so probably worth a go (relates to 405 but same theory applies):
This is a typical ABS fault.
There are sensors on a cog on each hub.
Have a look at them.
Most likely they are full of crap.
Give them a damn good jet washing !!!.
Fixed my Mi16, with the same problem..
The ABS Brain thinks the car has locked up so activates the abs unit.
Which is quite crap on the 405 !!.
I had a problem on the wifes old Cavalier where the diagnostics tester couldn't communicate with the ECU, but on that model, you could read the stored codes by shorting two pins in the diagnostics socket and counting the resulting flashes of the dashboard lights. Could be worth a search on the net to see if the Pug system can be read the same.
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

Thanks,i will do that...i think i might as well pressure bleed the brakes as well as they seem a bit spongey although i did have the garage look at it...twice.Any ideas on pressure bleeding?Cheers..Lloydis
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've used a Gunsons Eezibleed on my ZX and the wife's ABS'd Cavalier. Easier than something very easy indeed. Only use 20 PSI to drive it though.
Should work on the Pug system.
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

Hi Arry,cleaned the front sensors and bled the front brakes.Problem still there.I will do the rear brake sensors and rebleed the whole system.Failing that,i will overhaul the master cylinder...air is getting in somewhere and as a result causing the system to fail...i fear this might be a hazardous guess but must try something.Thanks for your help...cheers Lloydis
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

That seems like a sensible order of work. Even if you do have to replace something expensive in the ABS eventually, at least you know the rest of the system is sound.
Good luck finding the problem.
lloydis
My Cars:

Post by lloydis »

[8D]Hi Arry,you're not going to believe it!!!My problem is all sorted[:D]I took a flyer and disconnected the battery...well this has solved the problemo..By doing that it has reset all the electronics,my brakes are better than ever and the car is going great.I am now getting 34mpg,i know this is hard to believe but it is mostly motorway mileage.Even the speedo cruise is working again!!!Car is going as sweet as a nut,and i am having second thoughts now about selling it.Thanx for persevering with me and good luck for the future.Cheers...Lloydis signing out..merry xmas to all and a happy new year...hope you all get your problems sorted.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Brilliant - a free repair!
Enjoy your car.