HELP, I have a Xantia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pull

Post by pull »

a development....

After having a right old poke about I decided that the car was ok to drive so took it on a journey to see some friends in bristol, opps.

When moving freely on the motorway at 70mph the back end was wobbling more than I do when I have to open my wallet. Its hard to explain, like driving in a strong cross-wind and then going past a truck and the air current is changed and you get pushed left and right a touch...except there was no wind, in fact it was a glorious sunny day.

The car is also pulling to the right (im sure it never used to do that) but Im getting no vibration what so ever in the wheel even when I pushed upto 80mph to test this (all done safely of course on an empty motorway). The car has had new tyres before I got it so I can't diagnose anything from the tread pattern.

I had felt this before when a wheelbearing had gone on a previous bravo I owned. So i pulled over and grabbed the wheels at the top and gave a good hard tug but no clanky noise suggesting all was ok there. I started getting paranoid and looking at the rear wheels to see how straight they were. They seem to be perfectly vertical but they appeared to lean in a little on the horizontal. If I stand facing a back wheel (about a foot away from it) and look straight down there is more right hand side tyre showing than left. I don't know whether this is normal seeing as I only have 1 xantia and despite hunting Reading services there was only 1. This may explain the push-pull sensation at the back end and the car pulling to the right at the front? But what could have cause 'twisted' wheels - you would need to hit something pretty hard and there is no sign of accident damage on the car!?

And just to clear things up, it was a clank and not a click that I heard before the back end sunk. Like striking a saucepan with a wooden spoon.

The anti-sink sphere seems to be knacked, my click click click under the bonnet is also about every 15 seconds, this seems a little excessive to me - like things are being worked to hard?? What will happen if I dont replace the busted spheres?

ta muchly guys
pull

Post by pull »

^^ any thoughts folks....the ol' girl will be up on a mates ramp tomorrow so need to know what I should be looking for..eep!
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Pull.

It still could be the arm bearings, these will not allways give you any play at the wheel when you push and pull at it, it needs to be depressurised with the wheels hanging free and then get a long pry-bar and give it some serious hassle right up at the bearing end of the arm.
Certainly the self steer thing can happen when the arm bearings are gone as the back wheel can move a little, thus having an effect on the steering.

The anti sink sphere may or may not be gone, but the clicking will be down tho the main accumulator sphere on the regulator.

In my experience with the Xantia, if you want to keep the system working as it is meant to and change all spheres at about half pressure, the spheres need changing every two and a half years.

All the best in sorting it on Sunday, but if not, as I said before, dont panic, I have never seen a bearing let go and the arm drop off and I have seen some realy knackered arms and bearings.

Having said all this, it may be that it is not the arm bearings at all, it could be something else you find when you get it up in the air.

Regards
Martin
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Pull.

I see that you are online now.

I am about around the workshop today, if you want to call feel free, I dont come on here to try and sell bits, so I wont be pushing you to buy something off me, it may be easier to help by talking rather than typing.

01487 831239

Regards
Martin