No Work Today!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

No Work Today!!!

Post by CitroJim »

Even if I wanted to go to work today I can't (unless I walk) :D

We are well and truely snowed in. Not that deep but slippery enough to mean that nothing can move.

My neighbour tried to move his Merc Sprinter van and got it stuck right across the entrance to our Close, effectively blocking it totally. Not only thet, he tried to move his Beemer and that one is stuck right across the road too :lol: :lol:

Due to proximity, all my vehicles are effectively blocked in.

Ahh well, a nice, impromptu day off...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

excuses excuses Jim, little bit of the white stuff and the hole country grinds to a hault, i spoz in countrys were they have snow and ice all year round, soon as the sun comes out that brings them to a full stop

TEA HE and TEA again and lots of it then

regards malcolm

ps.
so which one of your many projects are you going to get on to today then
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We live in the supposed 'frozen' north and yet again no snow. This is the 8th Winter I have been here, and there has only been 1 day I probably wouldn't have gone to work - and that was a Saturday :twisted:

Expecting to see that auto box on the floor later, Jim :wink:
Last edited by RichardW on 05 Feb 2009, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No excuses Malcolm :wink: It's not so much the snow but the ice underneath! Skis would be the only sensible form of transport today around here :lol:

I know if I could get out of my Close and onto the main roads, I'd be fine but my workplace is right out in the sticks and the little approach roads are absolutely treacherous in this weather. I'd most likely be OK in the 2.1 having Front Wheel Drive and weight but it's all the others that concern me, as well as a sharp bend at the bottom of an icy hill to negotiate.

My neighbour says that just beyond our Close, the road is practically impassable due to ice and a small hill...

Those of us of , err, certain years, are OK in this weather as we learned the hard way back in the 70s but these days, I find the youngsters don't have a clue of how to drive on ice and snow so the chances of getting stuck behind someone are very high...

citronut wrote: so which one of your many projects are you going to get on to today then
Well, the only project I have on the go at the moment is the V6 and it's buried :twisted: Not gearbox removal weather, that's for sure so I think I'll give the workshop a good tidy-up in preparation and maybe sort out its duff blower controller. Apart from that a day off!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: Expecting to see that auto box on the floor later, Jim :wink:
I wish I could Richard but I can barely see the car for snow right now. If it starts to clear up a bit though.....

Despite saying it would be a long-term project, I'm rapidly coming to the realisation it's gouing to happen sooner rather than later. I'm desparate to get that 'box out and see what's wrong with it.....

I have this terrible urge to be driving the V6 as soon as possible :lol: :lol:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It passed 36°C here today. I worked until just before eleven, then went back from five until eight. Only way to keep your sanity in a jobsite with negligible shade!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Well, some of us have pretend snow and are at work!!

As far as this rubbish country goes with it's appalling driving, the problem is,
nobody has heard of engine braking, so the procession of Micra's and Clios
which are bad at coping in optimum driving conditions crawl around at 20mph
permanently on the brakes and freeze up in their brain the minute anything
looks like a slope or bend. :roll:

Andrew
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well, some of us hardcore lot managed to get into work today ;)

Had to help the Doris from over the road who insists on parking her golf outside next door's house.
She was wheel spinning like there was no tomorrow, with two kids trying to help push her out (apparently most of the kids in the area are out building huge snowmen and helping cars in need of a push!).
I told her to put it in second, and she still floored it!
So I had to explain that slower is better, and she gently pulled out from the kerb and went on her merry way.

John (from next door) said that along the main road where the Subaru garage was, they had people dancing in the street to xmas songs!

I'm suffering from playinthesnowitus, but can't leave work for treatment :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There was a thin covering of snow here on Monday, although tuesday and yesterday were quite bright an sunny.

However about an hour ago it started snowing today, so there is a thin cover again. I doubt it will last long!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

It's been raining down here near Southampton since yesterday.
It's a pity we couldn't have had this snow at Christmas instead.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: John (from next door) said that along the main road where the Subaru garage was, they had people dancing in the street to xmas songs!
Wow! That's magic :D Christmas comes late to New Bradwell! I can picture the scene...
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

We had the snow come mid morning on Monday coming down thick and fast, got a good few inches covering the Xantia when I got home :shock:
Had a bit more snow on Tuesday. Wednesday, the snow was disappearing and it was time for the underlying ice to do its job of making me slip up a couple of times on the walk to work :evil:
All in all, it was a nice suprise!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looks like you had it bad down in Exeter Kev...

I'm in work at the moment but it's coming down in buckets and somehow I don't think I'll be in for too long...

Kids had a great day yesterday. They built an igloo and "dad's taxi" got called upon to pick up four very wet and cold girls. Thanks goodness for leather seats :lol:
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Spoke too soon didn't I....Half of the south west has come to a standstill. 30 mile tailbacks at Haldon Hill on the Exeter to Plymouth Road since last evening.

Heard that work is closed today, not suprised, the snow is a lot worse that earlier on in the week, and of course theres no grit on the roads :lol:

Unless the temperature rises and we have a proper bit of sun, it looks like my MoT at 10:30 on Saturday will be posponed. Bit annoying that as I had a mini 2 day holiday booked for the 16-18th ands the MoT runs out bang in the middle....I hope it passes!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Monday wasn't too bad for us we got about 2" in doncaster and me and a mate from work built a snowman in the roundabout in front of our office still going strong if a bit drunk looking....

Then tuesday and wednesday it vanished but snowman still going :)
then yesterday got another smattering of about 2" and i was riding into work when it just started and then rode home and same again today in the icy roads and such its not too bad, the main roads are worse as the water is freezing cold when it hits your skin :(

Im amazed as well how many people still get stuck in snow when all it takes is time and patience. I'm not in the 2nd gear for starting off camp though, just take it easy in 1st is my rule :) but i would love a BX GTi 4x4 with a duff engine to convert to a TD powered rocket :D