HDI engines

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

HDI engines

Post by ghostrider »

Ok I'm about to sign a pact with the Devil and buy an HDI xantia of some sort, What's the feeling about these engines? are there any weak points? Can I service it myself? are parts much more expensive than the ones for the good old 1.9D/TD? what sort of fuel consumption do people get?
thanks people, you might even persuade me to stay with the Bx a little longer [:p] [:)]
Thanks Pete
________
Top Penny Stocks
Last edited by ghostrider on 25 Feb 2011, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

All the usual xantia things to look for. There have been some reports about cam shaft sprockets, but these were on the 90hp version, I think.
The HDI in general is a bit of a gem. My dad has a 406 110, and it's quiet ( although the 90 is considered a little quieter ), and deceptively fast. He gets mid 50's in normal driving, but that doesn't have the additional load of hydralics to run...
Jon

Post by Jon »

HDi Crank pulleys are a big problem, (Cit 0515P2)and are flying out the door at GSF. The rubber part of the pulley breaks up.
There also been reports of early clutch failure.
One other thing to check on Xantia HDi pre W reg is for fuel leaks at the top of the engine. The injector rail can leak. Most were replaced under warranty.
Fuel tank lift pumps can pack up too.
Mel

Post by Mel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

All the usual xantia things to look for. There have been some reports about cam shaft sprockets, but these were on the 90hp version, I think.
The HDI in general is a bit of a gem. My dad has a 406 110, and it's quiet ( although the 90 is considered a little quieter ), and deceptively fast. He gets mid 50's in normal driving, but that doesn't have the additional load of hydralics to run...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mel

Post by Mel »

what symptoms would cam shaft sprockets cause? My xantia hdi makes a tappety noise between 2000-3000rpm but only under load it clears past 3000rpm, any ideas?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Hi
Citroen spent a lot of money on developing this engine.
It is the engine as the XUD was when it was new.
I have driven both and they are completely different.