Smelly Waxoil ???!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

Smelly Waxoil ???!!!

Post by StuartR »

Can anyone advise about the problem of the smell that waxoil leaves if you have to use it.
Had to use it for the inside of the wheel arches on parents feista which is disintegrating from the inside, unfortunately that means spraying it from the boot spaces which lease the smell slowly filtering through the car.
Have thought about some how using cling film to sort of cover it and seal the back (underneath the plastics and sound insulation so unseen)
Also thought about mixing abit of essential oil (as in lavender or sandelwood oil) which could counteract the smell, but this could be corrosive stuff though don't know enough about that.
Any ideas anyone, have to do my car one day.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Stuart,
Do you know what the base of the waxoil is?
Is it the same as the old Tectyl from Valvoline which is a petroleum based product? If so I think you're stuck with it although the smell does diminish with time. Fishoil products naturally attract the local moggies and a common one these days is lanolin based (sheep oil) which again can get a bit "'ow's yer farther" in hot weather.
Essential oils I don't think would be corrosive although sometimes it can be a case of replacing one bad smell with a different bad smell as some of these in concentration aren't much of an improvement on the original smell.
Having spent most of my trade working life around broken down smelly fridges in the tropics, I can tell you that amongst the most effective smell removers are cloudy ammonia washed over the surface as a long term air freshener as well as cheap tea bags left in areas of high smell concentration as a smell absorber.
Moth balls/nepthalene flakes are one of the "smell replacer" type things that can make your eyes wqater but may be more 'nostril friendly; than the waxoil.[:D][:D]
Both may be worth a thought.
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Oil paint is commonly neutralised by a bucket of dry straw. You might like to give that a try.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I always thought the solvent in waxoyl was white spirit. On the rare occasions I've used it I've always found the smell to be not unpleasant and think it went after a couple of days when the solvent evaporated.
jeremy
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

thanks for all reply's
absolutly facinating, really and the thought ofdriving around with a bucket of straw brings a smile to my face.
I'm going to give some of these a try at some point but I have noticed that its worst when the car is in the warm sun so no chance of that for at least 6 months !
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And, come February, all the solvents that pong will have evaporated off slowly, so the smell will have gone for good anyway. Thank goodness for weather!
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Oh thats good to hear
hope your right
but just out of interest I noticed on one of those trade secrets programs of bbc2 a painter and decorator said to avoid spelly paint (i prosume thats gloss rather than emulsions) just add a bit of vanilla essence to the paint which will give off a nice smell long enough to cover the paint smell.
will buy some vanilla essence some day and try it
though this could risk some unusual smell cocktails a sort of rancid icecream parlour, possibly
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm afraid as a fridge mechanic I heard that one so often; "wash the fridge out with Vanilla essence" to get rid of bad smells & as someone described it too me, it replaces a smell of stale food with a smell of spewy food which is often worse than the original bad smell.
In fridges, an old furniture removalist advised to throw a handful of new but cheap tea bags around to get rid of the smell of stale food.
Don't know if it'd work on Waxoil but if it didn't, you could always sit and have a cuppa while you decided what to try next.[;)][:D][:D]
Alan S [8D]