Removing a Xantia 1.9 TD engine

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Removing a Xantia 1.9 TD engine

Post by Napoleon »

Not planning on doing this to my car, but I may do with another one later in the year.

Any pitfalls I should watch for? I'll be needing the gearbox and starter and any other gubbins in order to run the engine outside of the car.

Really.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So why would you want to run it outside the car Tim? That really is fraught with danger. Even spinning an engine out of the car on the starter is quite scary...

Removal is pretty straightforward. The engine comes out in unit with the gearbox. The following is just a brief summary.

Disconnect everything, including hydraulics, exhaust and gear selector rods, remove driveshafts, disconnect the lower engine mount and then attach an engine crane to the lifting eyes on the cylinder head using chains and D shackles. Ensure doubly, trebly, that everything is disconnected that needs to be disconnected!

Take the strain and disconnect the top engine mpunt and the gearbox mount. Lift the engine and gearbox out at a steep angle, cambelt end up. You'll find, using the proper lifting eye, that the whole shooting match balances quite nicely.

Do be aware that it's a heavy old lump!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Jim, as I look at the engine in the car under the bonnet, is the gearboax on the right?

And is the starter motor attached to the gearbox?

I want to transplant the engine to another location to try running it to provide hot water for the house.

I already do this, but with great complications, with a stationary engine. As I know the Xantia will run on svw/wvo, I'd like to try this lighter unit in place of the other engine.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, gearbox is on the right Tim and the starter motor is attached to the gearbox bellhousing. That might complicate your plans a bit..

Have a look at this thread from ages ago that discusses exactly what you're thinking of doing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Oh yes, this rings a bell. Nice idea but it's not a good one as Anders pointed out last time.

Not sure if it will be cost effective, but you may be like me and will do it anyway for the fun of it.

As jim said, you will need the gearbox too, cos the started is attached to that. Doesn't even matter if it isn't in neutral ;)

Would it be easier to drop the engine down than to lift it up?

I would suggest you just leave the engine in the car, park it by the window and do what you want to with the coolant pipes to help you warm the hot water in the house. I assume you will need the radiator set up or the engine will just overheat.

You crazy man Napoleon.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

A mate of mine runs his house on a stationary engine, with solar panels, wind turbines and all that, they've been disconnected from the 'grid now for nearly a year!
All the hot water is via heat exchange from the exhaust and coolant but the shower and taps all remain on the 'grid.
Next thing I've suggested they do is collect rainwater for toilet flushing use :lol:
The stationary diesel they use runs on 100% veggie and the whole family run on the XUD9s for there cars with a high % of veggie. Fantastic stuff if you ask me!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

deian wrote: Would it be easier to drop the engine down than to lift it up?
It should certainly go out like that but you have the problem of lifting the car up high to allow the engine to slide out. I reckon a Xantia even minus engine would be a heck of a weight to lift unless you could drop the engine into a pit...

Fiesta engines have to be dropped out from underneath but they're tiny and the bodyshell as light as a feather...
deian wrote:You crazy man Napoleon.
Yes, but in a good way :wink:
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Talking of replacing engines, could a barryboy Activa minus engine not be replaced with an XUD11/XUD9?
I'm sure this must've been talked about before?!
The XUD9 is a common enough engine...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Crazy? When you've gone this far... :!: madness is a pre-requisite.

I don't get on at all well with my stationary engine and the attached paraphanalia... and the bleedin' problems I keep having. I just need a change, but using an XUD motor is a loose idea at the moment. If I thought I could get the heat in the house, I'd have a wood fired burner/incinerator in the engine shed, but we're in a smokeless zone.

One way of 'installing' the car engine would be to aim at the shed at about 35mph.

Some people say I should stick with the engine I have, but I have now lost count of how many times I have changed the head gasket - it's blown a hole this time, and sparks were shooting out from the side of the engine until I killed it in a panic! I've also had to replace the big end shells due to a major oil loss thanks to a bolt coming loose.

Anyway, this is hardly Citroen territory, suffice to say thanks Jim for the link to that thread about the use of an xud in this manner. I'll go and read it properly now.

Napoleon *crazy*
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Tim and Kev,

I, for one, am really interested in all this sort of stuff and I'm more than happy for this thread to continue on it's present course but as you say Tim, it's falling away from Citroen territory so do you mind if we carry on in "French Car Chat"?

Do tell us more, both of you :D
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

red_dwarfers wrote:Talking of replacing engines, could a barryboy Activa minus engine not be replaced with an XUD11/XUD9?
I'm sure this must've been talked about before?! The XUD9 is a common enough engine...
Doubt that'd work although I'd like the next one to put a V6 into...

No. I think they get some peverse pleasure slashing the seats, kicking all the
panels in and urinating over everything or at the very least slicing the wiring
loom to pieces destroying everything in the vicinity - most cases end with
'an unfinished project' with two terminal cars. :evil:

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: No. I think they get some peverse pleasure slashing the seats, kicking all the
panels in and urinating over everything or at the very least slicing the wiring
loom to pieces destroying everything in the vicinity - most cases end with
'an unfinished project' with two terminal cars. :evil:
Tragically, I've seen pictorial evidence of just that happening in another forum Andrew :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: They even commented on how rust-free it was after they'd angle-ground it to bits....
red_dwarfers wrote:Talking of replacing engines, could a barryboy Activa minus engine not be replaced with an XUD11/XUD9?
I'm sure this must've been talked about before?! The XUD9 is a common enough engine...
It can be done Kev, and it's not that difficult. The XUD11 is the best one as it's not far off a CT Turbo to begin with and the running egar is the same. The 2.1TD is just a TCT with a different head essentially...

Problem is with insurance. Modified car and all the ramifications therein....
Jim

Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

citrojim wrote:Tim and Kev,

I, for one, am really interested in all this sort of stuff and I'm more than happy for this thread to continue on it's present course but as you say Tim, it's falling away from Citroen territory so do you mind if we carry on in "French Car Chat"?

Do tell us more, both of you :D
Jim, move it by all means...

Tim

If anyone's interested, look for 'Tim' in 'People's Projects' this site, and you'll se the beginnings of something that has been a bit of an obsession over the last year or so:

http://www.listerclones.co.uk/
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've just had a look Tim. Good work :D

is that you with the big smile?

I used to get involved with Lister standby generators years ago, the old HR2 and SR2 air-cooled jobs with 15KVa alternators on the end of them.

Suprised yours broke so spectacularly. You say it's a clone, Indian made?
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Napoleon wrote:#
Jim, move it by all means...

Tim

If anyone's interested, look for 'Tim' in 'People's Projects' this site, and you'll se the beginnings of something that has been a bit of an obsession over the last year or so:

http://www.listerclones.co.uk/
Just had a look at that Tim!
Good stuff :D

So it's this nearly new Lister thats causing you problems?!
Or is it just the fact that its running constantly?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair