405 lack of power

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevie fox
My Cars:

405 lack of power

Post by stevie fox »

HELP!!!!
does anyone know how to fix this problem on my 405MI16 La mans
it is lacking power between the rev range 3000 & 4000rpm only when the engine is warm after it goes past 4200rpm it fine any ideas
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

These engines really don't get moving until that kind of revs (4500+), so short of it being dirty injectors it could mean someone doing a diagnostic check.
How long have you owned the car, because if it's a recent purchase, most new owners get caught with this. After a while, you tend to drive with plenty of revs on the tacho and use the gearbox more than on a standard 8 valve motor.
Alan S
stevie fox
My Cars:

Post by stevie fox »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

These engines really don't get moving until that kind of revs (4500+), so short of it being dirty injectors it could mean someone doing a diagnostic check.
How long have you owned the car, because if it's a recent purchase, most new owners get caught with this. After a while, you tend to drive with plenty of revs on the tacho and use the gearbox more than on a standard 8 valve motor.
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Alan i have had the car for 3 years now it was fine up until 4 months ago i have had a diagnostics check on it and it come up with the lambda sensor & pickup sensor was faulty these have now been replaced. one thing i have noticed is the engine seems to be making a loud sucking noice when you rev it. is this normal
p.s thanks for the reply
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

On the presumption that the plastic duct pipe between the air cleaner & where it connects to the front of the car hasn't disappared (as most do) then my bet is that you have something like a hose split somewhere on the intake system. I'd suggest for starters getting a piece of hose and hold it to your ear whilst running the end of it around any pipes and fittings involved with the intake. Particular attention should be taken to where the actual manifold attaches to the head; that almost sounds like a massive air induction causing a leaning of the mix which is counteracted at higher revs.
I have heard of WD40 being sprayed on connections suspected of leaking, which can be a bit risky due to the flammable nature, or even a watery mix of shaving cream & water on an old paint brush. If anything's leaking, this will produce a whistling sound and make detecting that bit easier.
Alan S