fuel consumption

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It may also depend on where you are buying your fuel.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but have you ever gone to fill the car up and found it took more than usual? I sometimes wonder how accurate some of the pumps are.[:0] Probably about the same as their airlines.[B)]
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

It may also depend on where you are buying your fuel.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but have you ever gone to fill the car up and found it took more than usual? I sometimes wonder how accurate some of the pumps are.[:0] Probably about the same as their airlines.[B)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">You're absolutely right Homer and I concur with your "paranoia"[8D]. However in Birmingham there are Trading Standards designated and controlled pumps (they put a sticker on to say so), which are periodically checked for accuracy. I also have a problem giving my credit card details to pump attendants/cashiers having being defrauded twice in similar but separate circumstances (sorry not trying to stereotype specific creeds or working groups[:)]). So for me, if I pay by credit card, I only go to automatic pumps with Trading Standards stickers on them [;)]</font id="size2">
hswift
My Cars:

Post by hswift »

I've just sold a 1.8 16V Xantia estate, '98R with 83K on the clock.
On my 80 mile daily commute it would give 34-36 mpg. On a 500 mile motorway trip it would do 39mpg and locally about 28mpg. In my five years of ownership I don't recall ever beating 40mpg with it.
Now got a C5 2.2 HDI estate, but haven't gone through the first tank yet, so don't know what the consumption is. The trip computer shows about 47mpg, though.
Until some git wrote it off earlier this year, I used to drive an Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf (2.0 twin spark). When it was working properly - which wasn't always - I could get 34mpg on my daily run. This was from a car that others on the Alfa forum were lucky to get 26mpg from. I must just have a light right foot.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Guys,
what R U doing to your poor diesels !!! Our old CX diesel non turbo wagon returns 38mpg if it never leaves town, and upto 42mpg on the highway.
My CX GTi Turbo I (so it gets worse economy than the TII) give 22mpg with the short drive to work & back everyday, where it barely gets upto operating temperature. If it shown a bit of open road it returns 34mpg.
The B19tri returns 42mpg on the open road, and I've never checked it around town, but I guestimate about 30mpg.
Why are you guys using so much fuel Image
seeya,
Shane L.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Eek. Just calculated my urban cycle consumption average of 28 mpg. This is moderately footed driving solely around town (Birmingham rush hour twice daily). This exactly matches hswift's figures above but one - except that he drove an estate (booh). Oh well not as "frugal" as I thought. Just got used to x amount of dosh every week going into the tank.
Darryl
My Cars:

Post by Darryl »

I have just ordered a new C5 2.0 HDI and also just bought a 1995 ZX 1.4i petrol . Has anyone got any idea as to what these are likely to give fuel consumption wise (particularly the ZX). In the past i have owned a couple of BX non turbo diesels and found that i got around 47 mpg generally and regularly 57mpg when on the Autoroute in France.This was always measured brim to brim therefore very accurate.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Darryl</i>

I have just ordered a new C5 2.0 HDI and also just bought a 1995 ZX 1.4i petrol . Has anyone got any idea as to what these are likely to give fuel consumption wise
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The C5 should give you a combined figure of around 50mpg, but with motorway driving, nearer 60.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Darryl</i>

Has anyone got any idea as to what these are likely to give fuel consumption wise (particularly the ZX).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My 1.4i ZX (1994) usually gives 34-36 MPG driving around town (typically 5 mile runs). The best I've seen was 41 MPG blasting around the Lake District [8D]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

my zx 1.4i does about 30 - 35 around town
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Very strange..
My Xantia 1.9td used to return 39-41mpg before the HG and turbo blew. A good de-coke and all of a sudden the fuel economy doesn't really drop below 42, usually around 44, and on a recent run through the highlands, it returned 51mpg.
Usual run is approx 25 miles of one of the most congested parts of the M1, with speeds varying between 5mph and 90mph depending on the conditions.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Have you sorted that ax out yet????????????????????
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Those of you with poor fuel consumption should check you're actually receiving a litre when the pump says so. You'd complain in the pub if your pint was short, and I know nobody who spends more on alcohol than they do on fuel.
C15D 1991 45-55mpg depending on footwear.
ZX TD 1995 45-50mpg when relaxed 33 when not.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I will start a spreadsheet to compare, I have noticed that my newly acquired ZX seems to drink diesel at a faster rate than my BX1.7td (I got almost 60 mpg during the fuel crisis by not going over 60mph and accelerating gently)Though the zx consumption may improve once I get over the novelty value of the performance.
Stewart
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Haven't sorted the AX out yet ( the Xantia is due the MOT again, so it's getting TLC at the moment, weather permitting ). The AX is in the garage, so at least I can work on it in the dry !
For the record, the AX is a 1.0i Debut, and on gentle ( ie. 60mph - you wouldn't want it to go faster ! ) motorway runs, it was returning mid to late 50mpg, even more when I drafted lorries !
And it's only 4 speed !!!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hhmm, Interesting..
I have a ZX 1.9D auto 1993 on a "K".. A friemd drove it From Manchester = Paignton = Christchurch = Salisbury = up to Stratford and then back onto the m5-6 To Manchester. 995 miles at an Ave of 38 mpg.
I took it from Manchester To central London onto Poole Dorset. I was forced by traffic to maintain around 65 mph on the motorways. on arrival in Poole I filled up again and found the car had returned about 55 mpg! I then made various trips and on returing to Manchester I had done 690 miles at an ave of 49 mpg.
But.....
As my ZX wont go into 4th gear (top) at less than 40 mph I only get around 30 mpg in town... [:(]
Living in north Cheshire with a few motorways to get around on and a lot of in-town traffic I ave around the 38 mpg mark overall.. [:)]
James.