All That Work

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: and not that oribl torsion bar susp
It was only 'orrible in a 205 as it caused the car to have a tendency to have an affinity with hedges through Lift Off Oversteer if you took a bend a bit too enthusiastically and then took your foot off the throttle :lol:

Torsion bars are actually rather good as they make a very compact rear suspension setup and give an nice flat boot floor. They also never wear out, it's just a shame the trailing arm bearings do though. I was staggered to see the 406 went to coils on the rear after the 405 proved how excellent torsion bars were on the 405. The 405 was a far more comfy car than the 406 on the rough stuff.

As to why the Mi16 4x4 had hydropneumatic on the rear, I have no real idea. Possibly it used the BX4x4 rear setup and it was easier and cheaper to use it wholesale on the 405 rather than design a new setup just for the Mi16 from scratch even though it meant the addition of an HP pump, presssure regulator and accumulator on the 405. Did the 405 Mi16 4x4 also use the HP pump and LHM to power the steering and brakes?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have to say that I have no complaints whatsoever about the suspension on the Renault 4 and 14 and the Visa. Can't remember what the suspension type was on the R11.

I was surprised when I looked under the R4 and wondered where the springs were.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: I was surprised when I looked under the R4 and wondered where the springs were.
I had two R4s back in the 70s Steve. Two of the very best cars I ever owned and they were responsible for my love of French cars now. I still have a huge affection for them.

My first one was a 1969 one with 6V electrics :twisted:

The suspension and ride comfort was utterly sublime. The angles of lean were just incredible when taking a corner with any sort of enthusiasm :lol: But they always felt safe. I had some real adventures in those cars...

People compare the R4 to the 2CV. sadly I've never driven a 2CV but certainly they both occupied similar niches.

After my last R4 I had an R5. It lacked that certain something that the R4 had in spades and I never got that attached to it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:
myglaren wrote: I was surprised when I looked under the R4 and wondered where the springs were.
My first one was a 1969 one with 6V electrics :twisted:
Snap! I think mine was a 600cc model. 0-60 in about half an hour but would run quite happily at 70 all day and only needed petrol every six weeks.

citrojim wrote: After my last R4 I had an R5. It lacked that certain something that the R4 had in spades and I never got that attached to it.
:D

The R14 was very like the 4, suspension-wise. A bit more advanced on other fronts of course.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim you realy need to get a drive in a dersh, then you will find out what you have been missing, and as there is no other car that i know of with a suspesion setup like it, all four cornners are fully inipendant, and from memery they have far more lean the the R4 had,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:Jim you realy need to get a drive in a dersh, then you will find out what you have been missing, and as there is no other car that i know of with a suspesion setup like it, all four cornners are fully inipendant, and from memery they have far more lean the the R4 had,

regards malcolm
I'd second that. I used to work with a mate who was a serial 2CV buyer.
When one broke he would just buy another one.
They seemed to be able to almost lean over horizontal and recover from it. Scary at first, then fun.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I badly want a ride in a Dersh :lol: Hints have been dropped in the past but sadly, no result yet. Havings said that, I want to experience all the classic Citroens in the fullness of time...

Next CCC National hopefully, I might be able to at least realise part of that dream.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you will have to grab hold of Mr A Chapman, i would think he will oblige,
or one step further Louie Barber for that dersh 4X4 experiance, that is awsome,

i tried that out at a 2CV bash at Grimsthorp castle, in ther quary, absloutly unbelivable

regards malcolm
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citrojim wrote:I badly want a ride in a Dersh :lol: Hints have been dropped in the past but sadly, no result yet. Havings said that, I want to experience all the classic Citroens in the fullness of time...

Next CCC National hopefully, I might be able to at least realise part of that dream.
How did it get the name "Dersh?"
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

2CV = deux chevaux (der shevvo) :D
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

myglaren wrote:2CV = deux chevaux (der shevvo) :D
AH OK 8)

It's all clear now. :wink:

It's just that although I have allways known it as "deux chevaux," but not as the abreviation of "der shevvo" I.E. "Dersh."

So would an Xantia become an ant?

Or an Activa an Act?

After all when an Activa corners, it shows up other cars with its "performance!" 8)
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

After typing the post above I went out for a matinee in my "Act!" :wink:
ACTIVA