306 cooling system filling with air

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JR

306 cooling system filling with air

Post by JR »

Hi,
I recently sent a post regarding my 308 1.8 auto which was over heating. Somebody kindly advised me to bleed the system, so I purchased myself a Haynes manual and did it correctly by creating an additional header tank with an empty plastic bottle.
Lots of air bubbles gushed inside the bottle and I waited for the cooling fan to kick in before removing the plastic bottle. I am now finding that I have to carry out this process every couple of weeks as the cooling system continues to fill up with air. I have noticed that if I rev the engine whilst the plastic bottle is in place, that I can see lots of air bubbles appear.
I have checked under the oil filler cap and their are no white bits, so don’t think it is a head gasket problem. Are there any other parts I should investigate?
Any help greatly appreciated,
cheers JR
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sorry to have to say this but I think the head gasket is the problem, the fact that there's nothing in the oil means little, the gasket can fail between cylinders, between coolant channels and cyliners or between oil gallerys and cylinders.
I had exactly the same happen on a ZX td a while back, nothing untill the engine was reved then great big gurgling bubbles billowing up into the makeshift header tank, your leak doesn't sound as bad as I had it though, especially if you can go two weeks before filling and bleeding again.
Dave
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Sorry I think you have a head gasket problem. If air keeps getting in. But it could be a leak in the cooling system somewhere.
I would recommend that you get it to a garage and ask them pressurise the cooling system and then see if any coolant leaks out.
But I really think your head gasket is faulty.
Also if you have been running it for while I would expect there to more damage to the engine than just the head gasket know.
Sorry
Regards
citman
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Would it be possible to pressureise the cooling system yourself by blocking up the overflow pipe, and using a footpump on the top bleed point ?
Thought about doing this to troubleshoot exactly the same problem on mine, although I'm pretty sure its a leak in the pipe from the head to the matrix ( at the head end ).
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I made a radiator pressuriser from an old radiator cap and a valve cut from a bicycle inner tube for one of my old cars once. May be do-able on your Pug, but be careful - don't go mad with the footpump on it or something *WILL* blow.
JR

Post by JR »

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice. Being the pessimist I am, I now have a feeling it may be the head gasket as well. Now being an optimist, how much do think it is going to cost me?
cheers JR
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Dont think you ll get much change from 200 quid.