306 judder

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dbeamish
My Cars:

306 judder

Post by dbeamish »

Hi
I have an N reg 95 306 1.4XL and recently it has started to judder slightly.
It only seems to happen whilst the car is warming up, but when I take it to 2000 rpm it judders slightly and there is a slight loss of power. I am not sure if it is to do with the weather getting colder, or if it is something more serious but it is very annoing and I guess quite dangerous (esp when I am pulling out of junctions). After its been running for 5 minutes it is fine.
Someone suggested I might have a "flat spot" whatever that is.. further comments? Or can anyone explain what a flat spot is please?
many thanks!
Dave
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

my zx 1.4 does this as well. I would put it down to condensation on the plug leads and nothing to worry about. as long as it doesnt do it when the engine is at normal temp.
dbeamish
My Cars:

Post by dbeamish »

Hi
Somone said this to me on a newsgroup:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I remember when I had a Nissan it had the same problem when it was cold, the carb use to have a electric element to prevent this the element had burnt out. I don't think the Peugeots have these, it was just a suggestion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do pugs have this?
Ben83
My Cars:

Post by Ben83 »

No, if it's a 95, it will have fuel injection, not carbs.
Our 306 (also a 95 1.4) has been less happy first thing in the morning these past few weeks, which we've put down to the weather. I've only been a passenger though, so I'm not sure how bad it's been to drive.
Cheers,
Ben.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Its not bad to drive it just judders for a couple of seconds and losses power.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Have you done the usual, replace HT leads and spark plugs?
With the darker nights and mornings it is easier to spot an arking plug or lead. Pop the bonnet when you start it first thing and take a close look at the leads (don't touch them[B)]). You can often see a blue trail sparking along a faulty lead.
Also, how old is the exhaust system? Some modern cars are adversly affected by leaking exhausts. Or silencers can start to collapse internally causing running problems.