Airbag Warning Light Xantia Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum Jimbow :D Good to see you have an Activa - you're in good company here. Give us some details please :wink:

On the subject of Activa steering, if you ever have a chance to have your hydractive ECU read for faults, it's a racing certainty the steering position sensor will show as an intermittent fault. "They all do that sir.." :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jimbow
My Cars:

Post by jimbow »

pleased to be here Jim,
Going off this thread to start one as a Newbie
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions to the flashing Airbag warning light. I had the codes ready today at a local garage and Pretensioner 2 came up so I have asked him to solder the wires under the seats and we will see if that sorts it out. Will update once the job is done.

Cheers to all.

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Why don't we all just wait for the bulb to blow on the warnning light?

it's a lot cheaper and could save your life esspecially if you have your drivers window open and crash as the airbag will most certainly push your head out through the gap in the window breaking your neck.

for medical reasons I have deliberately disconnected my airbag system as it would do more damage firing the seatbelt tensioners than not.

I can honestly say that my flashing airbag light doesn't really bother me all that much except to say i wish the dam bulb would hurry up and blow why can't we make our household lightbulbs last this long?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The only two deaths in the UK from airbags that I know of were due to the women involved sitting practically on top of their steering wheels as many women seem to do, against road safety advice, and not due to any fault with the airbags.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The only two deaths in the UK from airbags that I know of were due to the women involved sitting practically on top of their steering wheels as many women seem to do, against road safety advice, and not due to any fault with the airbags.
Mainly I would suggest due to the fact that the smaller woman has no choice but to move the seat as far forward as possible in order to reach the pedals...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

lolingram wrote:
Mainly I would suggest due to the fact that the smaller woman has no choice but to move the seat as far forward as possible in order to reach the pedals...
Lean the seat back.
I'm only 5'10 and I have to have the seat relatively close but I lean back as suggested by road safety experts so drive with my arms only slightly bent rather than sit over the steering wheel.
My headrest is tilted to be only about an inch from the back of my head to reduce the risk of whiplash.
I'll adjust the mirrors, seat and headrest to varying degrees every time I get into the car because I never sit in exactly the same position.
If you aren't able to safely fit in a car then you simply shouldn't buy it, no matter how much you want it.
You wouldn't buy a car you couldn't see over the steering wheel of and plan to sit on a cushion to get round that problem would you?

DIY sphere tool
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Lean the seat back.
I'm only 5'10 and I have to have the seat relatively close but I lean back as suggested by road safety experts so drive with my arms only slightly bent rather than sit over the steering wheel.
My headrest is tilted to be only about an inch from the back of my head to reduce the risk of whiplash.
I'll adjust the mirrors, seat and headrest to varying degrees every time I get into the car because I never sit in exactly the same position.
If you aren't able to safely fit in a car then you simply shouldn't buy it, no matter how much you want it.
I totally agree Xac, BUT if you were 4'9"....?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
dodgydino

Post by dodgydino »

I had the same problem with the air bag light on a Saxo and i cut out the connectors under the seats and soldered the wires back together, Havent had a problem since :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

lolingram wrote:
Lean the seat back.
I totally agree Xac, BUT if you were 4'9"....?
Get a car which I fitted safely.
Again, lean the seat back so my arms weren't totally bent and my chest wasn't up against the steering wheel.

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

i wish the dam bulb would hurry up and blow
Not likely to blow ever, it’s a LED, and should last longer than the car. :cry:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

As promised I can now report that after the wires under the drivers seat have been soldered together (after the code reading said "pretensioner 2", the flashing airbag warning light is no more! (not even a glimmer).

Thanks again to all for comments, help and advice.

As the man said to his wife, do you want the good news or the bad - she asked for the good news so he duly reported that the air bag works.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if you buy just about any other vechicle on the market you can insert a key and turn off the airbag system if you so wish, why oh why cant you turn off the dreded airbag light on an xantia? it is easy enough to disconnect the seatbelt tensioners which would do signifcant damage to someone with a hernia when they pull down tight across youre abdomen almost cutting you in half and making certain medical conditions even worse or life threatenning, what a load of crap we didnt need airbags 30 years ago why do we need them now? why should we allow citroen of all people to dictate to us that the system cannot be turned off,$£"kers.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

All the cars I've driven in with the ability to turn off the airbags, has been the passenger one, not the drivers.
This is so that you can safely use a rear facing child seat without risk of launching your little cherub out the back window or through the sunroof should you smack into something.

DIY sphere tool
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Side airbag light now coming on

Post by NAM »

Just when I thought all was well and my bank balance improving, the side airbag light has decided to come on (intermittently). :( So me thinks connectors under seat need to be soldered and after spending far too much money and time sorting out the main airbag warning light I am going to do it myself.

I need to buy a soldering iron (easy part) and now just need a bit of help. Which colour wires under the seats do I look to solder together? There are green and orange wires - should I just do the lot? (connector by connector I mean not just solder the whole flippin lot - which has crossed my mind before now.

Do I need to disconnect the battery first? and is there a risk that my soldering might set off the airbags?

Nigel